BC Boards

Spray bark collars

Shoofly

I'm looking for experiences with the spray kind of bark collars, either the citronella or lemon or whatever else is out there. I've got a barker i need to control at trials. She yips overnight and sometimes during the day as well - not blasts of barking, just a yip, then a long pause, then another yip, repeat, repeat. It's like a separation anxiety thing. Anyway, she's the sensitive type and i don't want to use the shock kind of collar on her. But i also don't want to just throw away my money on a spray one if it's useless. Anyone tried one?

Robin,

I had a neighbor who used a citronella collar on her dog who barked at night out in the yard. I understand it worked for her (as apparently the neighbors didn't haul her off to court). That's hearsay though, since she never bothered to use such a collar when the d*** dog was barking under *my* window, but only after she moved and didn't want to piss off the new neighbors.

J.

I have two, one for each dog. They work great for my dogs for "nuisance" barking (i.e., when they are barking just to make noise) but do not stop them from "alert" barking (i.e., when someone knocks at the door).

I mostly put one on the younger dog when I put him in his crate to do agility in the backyard with the older dog. The younger one will bark, bark, bark and the older one outside will not play if he is doing that. Works like a charm.

I found that Petsmart or Petco or whatever sold them for some insane price. Jefferspet.com has them for around $65, I think.

EDITED to add: I tried the lemon one that works off a vibration post or something but it did not do a thing. I recommend the citronella Gentle Spray one that has microphone thing in it. Adjust it so that it is snug and it should not go off when the dog just moves or shakes.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I tried the citronella Gentle Spray on Solo, who is, um, rather vocal when other dogs are being worked and he has to wait.

No effect whatsoever.

If your dog has a very hairy neck, it can be difficult to get the spray to do anything but soak his ruff. If a dog is agitated enough, and hardheaded enough (like Solo) he will not care that some piddly little lemon spray is going off in his face. Also, the dog quickly learns that the collar runs out of juice in X number of barks.

I would never put a shock collar on Solo, so I understand your dilemma. The only things that have worked at all for me are (a) desensitizing, (:rolleyes: rewarding for being quiet, and © shutting him away in the car where he can bark and bark and no one will hear him (or it'll at least be muffled). © does not work well when it is hot outside.

I have been told that the "Barker Breaker" type devices (the ones that emit an annoying noise when the dog barks) actually work in some instances, but the reviews are mixed, and I don't like that they punish all the dogs in the vicinity for the barking of one or a few.

Thanks guys, i think i'll order one today. I'd sure like to not have to get up 10 times a night to correct this dog when we're in the camper and she's out in the van. I expect my camping neighbors would too...

Hey there Jackie, how's it going? Give Five a pet for me.

I forgot to mention that if the dog is barking due to separation anxiety, then using a corrective collar is not going to help much and may even hurt. I would not have used a citronella collar on Solo when he was vocalizing due to separation anxiety.

Just my .02.

Robin - I've used them with mixed success when I was in a townhouse and my dogs decided that they would bark (mostly at each other) when I wasn't home. Pod and Cooper both learned to manipulate the collars: Pod by burying her neck in a dog bed and then barking; Cooper learned to make a whiny sound that was almost as annoying as a bark, but did not set off the spray. Danger just learned that the spray would run out after a certain number of barks, and then he was home free. But all in all, it did reduce the noise in my townhouse when I was gone, so I guess I had moderate success. :confused:

Hey Laurie - thanks for the feedback. I think it might work in my situation. Jet likes to give off an occasional loud yap when she's in her crate in the van, overnight at sheepdog trials. It's kind of like a test bark to see if she can get me out of bed. No place to run, no place to hide so she'll get sprayed when she does it. And it's not a repeated bark, just a quick one every few minutes - usually just a long enough gap for me to fall back asleep thinking she's shut up.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Shoofly:

I think it might work in my situation. Jet likes to give off an occasional loud yap...

Sounds like it might- she's not just barking on and on - so it might startle her into being quiet (and make your van smell citronella fresh at the same time!).

I had a young male that used to bark and I tried the spray citronella collar. It worked very well, but he learned to bark once and baaacck up fast. For a couple years after I stopped using the collar, he would bark and back up really fast....his method for avoiding the spray.

This isn't a problem dog with big anxiety issues. I'm sure she'll live.

Since you mentioned separation anxiety, I thought I'd throw it out there. If a dog is barking due to distress, it stands to reason that increasing the distress might not be the best method to handle the problem and that it might be better to get to the root of the issue.

If it's not separation anxiety (as you now suggest) then never mind.

Just as a word of caution with the citronella spray bark collars. I know of two different people who have had the citronella canisters explode. I don't know if it was the same brand/batch of canisters or if its an occasional problem that crops up with these collars. Just thought I'd mention it.

I believe it was the canisters, but I can try to find out for sure. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the collar on the dog. Even though it might not pose a danger to the dog, having the canisters explode might pose a danger to the person if they did it while the person was charging the collar. I have a battery charged adjustable zap level type of bark collar and have never used the citronella personally. Like I said, I have no idea how often that happens, if it were a bad batch of cannisters or a freak thing. With two different people telling me they had it happen to them, I just thought I would mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the collar on one of my dogs and she soon learnt to out bark the collar so after a couple of weeks it didn't work then the battery ran out quick and they are expensive. Never had a problem with the canisters but they are expensive and small too. Even tried a bark buster where a machine emits a sound we cannot hear but the dog can and that didn't work either.!!!

Sadly she's now not with us and the place is so quiet as my other 3 do not bark unless someone comes to the house

Andrea & Megan, Thyme et Vale - Bye and Away working Border Collies

• 1 year later...
I have been told that the "Barker Breaker" type devices (the ones that emit an annoying noise when the dog barks) actually work in some instances, but the reviews are mixed, and I don't like that they punish all the dogs in the vicinity for the barking of one or a few.

I've had the "Barker Breaker" device for years. I like it. The annoying noise as you put it- is very true. It's almost as bad as the barking. BUT, they do work, unfortunately, they bug your other dogs that aren't barking. So it's a verbal punishment for all dogs. Good thing- it works while you are away. Another good thing, it works while your NEIGHBORS are away- tee hee. Put it by theirfence and maybe that neighbor dog barking will stop.

• 2 weeks later...

i have used both citronella and shock bark collars. on a sensitive dog, the citronella has a better chance of working :rolleyes: it tought one of my dogs how to bark at a different pitch-- and wouldn't set it off. which has created the most anoying whining noise, or high pitched YIPE! sound. a friends dog learned that if he turned his head to the side, the spray wound't get him :D and then he would just drain the collar. my problem barker, just barked right through it! drained the collar, killed the battery. she even learned how to manipulate the shock collar!

but with my sensible dogs...even if they have never had a collar on them, if they even smell the citronella they leave the room :D

kelli