BC Boards

White training sticks

Sue R

Where do you guys get your "sheep sticks"? I really like my big red cattle stick for cattle work but I see that I need the smaller, more flexible, "swishier" stick for sheep work.

Sue Asten told me where but I forgot even though it was a business with a very easy-to-remember name.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use white fiberglass electic fence posts from Tractor Supply. $1 each. Tape one end so you don't get splinters. Actually, I have several from Premier that are smoothly painted and don't need to be painted, that came with some kind of fencing we ordered from them, but I think are their standard version of this type of post.

I lose things. I used to have a few of those wands and I got tired of crying bitter tears when I left my $11 wand somewhere.

I do recommend Border Collies in Action though if you are not like me and wouldn't go through those wands like water - great store.

Thanks for the replies.

I will also check at the ag store in Morgantown. They carry some type of stick but I don't think it's the nicely flexible one that you sheepdog folks use.

I've got some good sources now so it's mainly a matter of picking and choosing. I did consider the fiberglass fence posts but the sticks that are coated don't have the splinter problem that the fence posts get with use. I'll also check with Premier.

Do you guys usually use a 48" or 54" stick?

Ooooh, Robin, you are my new very best friend ( I learned how to kiss up like that from Sam)!

How about selling some? Are they coated to avoid the splinters? Do they come in red (red is Celt's color - I know that's stupid but it's fun). I also want to get a black one for my training buddy, Hope, who travels with me to Susan's each month.

Where does a nice girl like you get melted rubber coating? Is there something we don't know about you? Is there something we don't want to know about you?

I will be at Susan's trial the weekend just prior to Halloween, just on Saturday. Otherwise, it will be at Sam's in November. Then Susan's on Saturday after Thanksgiving. Then, hopefully, Vicki Hughes' the first weekend in December (on Friday and Saturday only).

If you would like to wrap a couple or three in brown paper and mail them to me, I would be more than happy to pay for them and for postage. Just let me know.

I have red coating and blue coating, no black. They are coated ones. It seems like they have some sort of light coating on them that lasts for a pretty good while. I bet someone on here that's going to Edgeworth or Big Bend could get them from me and take to Susan's for you, if you want. I used to sell them for 5 bucks so if you want several we could do that. If you just want one i don't mind giving it to you.

How about two reds (for me) and one blue (for Hope and her Cowboy), and a mailing address for a check from me to you for $15?

I don't know if I will be to Susan's before her trial so, if you could wrap and mail, I'd be happy to pay shipping so I could have a chance to practice at home with one. Otherwise, I could get them at Susan's next time I get there.

We don't have any lesson scheduled right now before her trial but I hope to work one in, after I pay off my bills and get my month organized.

I don't know if Susan, Laurie Anderson, Deb Pelletier, or anyone else is doing Edgeworth or Big Bend. I *think* Susan won't be at Edgeworth because of another commitment and Laurie doesn't run Open yet. I also *think* Susan isn't going to be at Big Bend.

I can't go to either because I just can't make the drive down to Edgeworth so soon after these other trials and I'm doing a rescue transport on Saturday. Big Bend was one I wanted to go to but I am committed to being Ed and Lisa's "shuttle bunny" for their kayaking that weekend.

Shipping would be nice if it was inexpensive. If not, any of the above wonderful volunteers would be fine with me.

I will PM the address so you can check. You guys are all just TOO NICE!

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

And if Renee can't transport, I can as I'll be at both trials too. Oh, and Renee, did you leave behind a nylon leash with dog bones on it? If so, I have it and I'll try to remember to give it to you at Edgeworth.

J.

Yes Julie,

That would be the leash that Blue won at Roy's one year that Renee stole from me.

Mark

Originally posted by Sue R:

Big Bend was one I wanted to go to but I am committed to being Ed and Lisa's "shuttle bunny" for their kayaking that weekend.

A good shuttle bunny is always appreciated. So, do you know what a male "shuttle bunny" is called? :rolleyes:

No. Do I want to know? Probably not.

By the way, I tend to think of myself as the "shuttle elephant" but "bunny" is much more appealing.

Thanks again, Robin. I borrowed one from Sue Asten on Saturday - I guess I just borrowed from the wrong person! Although I was very happy with the results.