BC Boards

White training sticks

Sue R

Nancy you are right, that is quite a quandry!

I have my white training stick, then the same crook that Renee has (except it says Sue on it!)

I use the crook for trialing and the stick just for training. I like using the crook on the trial field, its the right height and feels good in my hand, and as Nancy says, I can hang it up if I want to.

I don't always use a stick when I'm training, just if I'm going to pen or if I'm holding for someone.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - Renee, I always try to do the luck thing...what was I wearing, did I scratch my left arm before I went to the post....it never adds up for me.

I do always have a prayer in my head though... It's gone from "Please God, let us get through the course," to "Please God, let us learn something from this," to "Please God, let us land in the ribbons." I don't think He is as inclined to listen to the last one. Ha!

Robin - Thanks! Please PM me with your mailing address and the total cost, and I will send a check. I will be the most hapless handler with the most wands in the world.

Renee - I wouldn't get away with using a wand if I was running at anything higher than Novice. As some one once summed it up, I'm not young enough and I'm not cute enough!

Nancy - Are you a finger-whistler? Then I can see having to "deposit" your crook/stick somewhere. Since I am still a "yeller" and endeavoring to master the metal whistle, I don't need to put my stick anywhere. I do tuck it under my arm sometimes. I'll try to remember that you don't "sit" on them. That sounds too painful to envision.

Sue A. - I'm glad your crook says "Sue" and not "Renee". I would begin to wonder about you otherwise. Although, since it says "Sue" then I could steal it and it would be customized just for me! That is, if it doesn't say "Sue A".

As for prayer prior to a run, I just pray that I won't embarrass my dog and consider that to be asking for quite a lot.

Sue R,

No, not a finger whistler. Took me over a month to get any sound out of my regular whistle, let alone trying to finger whistle.

It's hard to cup your hands around the whistle and hold your stick at the same time, would tend to poke an eye out. The few times I've tried to tuck it under my arm, it has always fallen to the ground. And then I am back to taking my eyes off the action to pick it back up again.

Nancy O

Robin - You are the best! But I still don't have your mailing address to send a check. If you PM me that, I will send the check directly.

I'll see you at Susan's on Oct 29, won't I? You will be able to recognize me - I'll have more sticks and less talent than anyone else there!

By the way, I told my lesson companion, Hope (the Aussie lady), that I was getting her a stick for Christmas (only she'll get it sooner), and she was thrilled! You are making two of us quite happy.

Also, the steers shipped this morning so we have 13 young heifers (about six to seven months old) to work with until the 10 biggest ship out to be raised and bred (we'll get five back - it's a good system). Yahoo, we can work and train again with a manageable size (and temperament) group! We'll only work with the cow herd when needed all winter long!!!

Whoa, Laurie, you are easy to please! Isn't it fun to pass a smile around?

You have made my day often enough with your good comments on the boards (and your wonderful sympathy at the VA State Fair SDT, letting me slobber all over you AND holding my dog).