BC Boards

New Tricks

Hey

I was wondering if anyone has taught their doggies some new tricks recently. Two I've taught Riven in the last month are "Thats not how dogs lay", and "who loves you".

Who loves you = kisses. This is not "kisses" because she thinks only daddy is allowed "kisses" lol.. I dont know why but the trick "kisses" is reserved for him. Which is great by me cause it drives him ape when he's tryin to sleep LOL

The other one is a bit longer to explain. When I lay with her she sometimes lays with her feet touching my chest. When she does that and falls asleep she ends up either kicking me, or running against my chest. So I came up with "thats not how dogs lay" for her to turn her back and scoot up to me. I guess like a spooning position lol. My hubby tried it the other day when she was laying between us. He said it, and she turned and scooted up to me! LOL :rolleyes: Good doggie.

Easy ones like "Go find Daddy." or "Find your ball" or playing Hide and seek. Just indoor stuff as it has been way too cold to do much outside.

We're working on laying on her side, standing up on her hind legs, spinning, and standing up to spin around. Laying on her side is going okay but she's not really reliable on it. I still have to lure. I tried to train standing up on her hind legs with a hand sign but, due to my own goofups, she now stands and spins with that sign. So now I need to work on splitting up those three behaviors. Shouldn't take long--she picks up on clicker training fast!

If she doesn't like to follow the food, you could try a toy - a ball or something. Just be sure to spin your hand around nice and slow and as close to her level as possible. I keep holding my hand too high with Dean right now. He's spinning, but he's jumping up at the end. If I remember to keep my hand low, he won't do that.

Speedy has learned to lift his right paw when I say "paw" and his left when I say "tap". He is learning to touch my hands or place his paw on my knee.

He is currently learning to move his back paws around in a circle while his front paws are perched on a box.

Dean is learning to spin and I'm just starting to teach him to weave under my leg. He is also learning to jump up on me on cue (ridiculously easy for an 11 month old!!) and get off on cue.

Not really a trick (or, I consider it more of a trick building-block), but he is starting to offer nose touches on a target.

Spinning... why that's 'Chase your tail'. That was easy to teach because River offered it as a pup so I just added the words. I didn't want her to be compulsive about it, so I added a command to it - now I can ask for it and tell her 'all done' too. I can get her to spin in each direction by circling my hand that way - she picked it up by herself. I've only just started adding 'left' and 'right' to the spinning directions.

Lately I've been trying to teach roll over. She's getting it but with four dogs in the house (only 2 are mine) right now AND my 3 kids home with snow days, I haven't had the energy, lol.

We're working on spin (clockwise) and twist (counter clockwise). We got past using a lure, but I still have to move my hand in front of her face at the beginning.

My dog Leah is probably like Riven. If I ask anything new of her she shuts down. And goes in a submissive position. I did get her to spin while laying on the floor using a lure. It looked more like break dancing though. After that I left her alone so she wouldn't pee.lol