BC Boards

How to teach howling on cue?

Kipp has the most adorable howl. I mean, it is really adorable. Unfortunately, he only does it when I leave him alone, so I can't teach him a cue and reward him for it. I have tried howling myself to encourage him, but he just looks very concerned for my welfare and walks around me, as if inspecting to see if I have an injury. :rolleyes:

I was wondering if anyone else has taught this. He won't bark at me, really, and so far no barking on cue. Tess does it--"WOOF!"I say, and she barks. Tess has never howled, sadly.

Maybe if I set something to record the noise while I am gone? If I play it for him, would he do it? I can hear him from outside the house but the instant he hears or senses me near, he stops. It's SO adorable. I'll have to record it just so I can prove he does it.

Any ideas?

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

We taught Tiga to howl on cue. We started to try to get him to do it at first by howling at him, but he just got confused. Then we were playing around with the turntables and a kaos pad and it was making some strange higher pitched noises and that was the first time that he did it on his own. While he was doing it, we started doing it with him. Ever since then, we just ask "Tiga, do you wanna sing? And most times we have to start howling and then he'll do it with us. It's fun to experiment with him too, he likes to try to mimick what we're doing, so if I want him to howl louder or higher pitched then that's what I do. Sometimes I howl lower in volume and pitch and he'll follow. Thankfully, the only time he does it is on command and sometimes if there's too many people around then he'll get shy and won't do it and then of course I look really stupid. :rolleyes: lol!

i used a harmonica and cheese. it only takes a few notes to get Pearl to "sing", then the reward. she will sing now for just a smell of the cheese wrapper,no commmand needed. sooo cute. she can change pitch also. my last dog was part wolf ,if i played a high note he would howl deep,if i played a low note he would howl a high note.

This made me laugh. My Fergus howls if I'm inside calling out to Kirra to stop her barking. If Fergus is inside or near the house, he will start to howl. I have thought about trying to put it on cue, as it's rather cute.

My previous Border Collie, Sam, would howl only if the phone rang and I hadn't anwered it after 3 rings. It was handy when I was out in the garden (although it didn't happen all that often, and each time my first thought was that he was injured!)

I have a recording of wolf howls, that works really well. She howls along beautifully when I play it to her. After starting with that, she now also howls along with music she likes. Kessie doesn't do it on cue but it should be easy to teach her.

Here is something to start with

Wow Sandra, I thought I was the only one who sounded like that when I sang! :rolleyes: That is too cute! My Aussie does a kind of yodle-howl when he is happy. He will run aroubd the house with his kong in his mouth so it sounds soooo funny! Kind of a wooo-woooo-woooooooooo. Doing the kidney bean dance the whole time. It's as close to a howl we can get from him unles he hears sirens!

Zoe just stared at me really funny when I played that. LOL I've only heard her howl once or twice, in the midst of a drawn-out bark. No real honest-to-goodness howls.

Oreo's howled once in her life, and my dad said it sounded so funny. She apparently realized it, and never did it again!

Tessa (bro's dog) is the only one who we can get to howl... and we do it by howling ourselves. Really high-pitched keening yips and howls. She joins in. It's soooo funny, we would all just sit around howling and laughing at her. She's half-lab though, so she has a bit of hound dog in her. :rolleyes:

Kessie says thanks for the compliments!

I love her howling, and would love it even more if she didn't switch to barking whenever I start singing along (which happens only in the car of course) ...but at least we can both howl together (it's easier to hit the right notes that way).

I hope it works!

Timmy the GSD won't howl at all. I've tried for ages because he has a deep loud voice and would sound wonderful, and also because his barking drives me bonkers, but no success so far.

Kessie doesn't respond to all howls either. There's lots of wolf howls on the internet, and I love listening to them, but she just looks puzzled. I don't know what it is about my wolf C.D. (if you write that without the points your post won't be processed; it's a bug) that's different to her.

Tiga's rottie girlfriend won't howl. I've tried howling like I do with Tiga, but she just puts her 2 front paws on my shoulders and puts her face in mine and she's 120 lbs. lol. Also I think Tiga knows she doesn't like it because he won't do it when she's around.

Zeus never howled that we know of, but shortly after we got Cody(almost a whole year ago, already), hubby was listening to tv and the fire sirens went off and he just satu p and howled so hubby howled wiht himand he has done it on command like that since. The other thing that makes him howl on his own is when we dont answer the phone on the third ring, the answering machine comes on and if we hang up right away, it beep, beep, beeps from the hang up and it's just the right pitch to get him going! We always give him a treat when we ask him to do it and now he does it as I said, on command and it is absolutely adorable-he perches hislips and goes form long out of wind howls to a few barks and then to a low long growl-we just crack up and he shows off for company all thetime with it.

Originally posted by sandra s.:

I have a recording of wolf howls, that works really well. She howls along beautifully when I play it to her. After starting with that, she now also howls along with music she likes. Kessie doesn't do it on cue but it should be easy to teach her.

Here is something to start with

Ha ha ha... Rufus had to come in from the other room to see why the computer was howling. He stopped after a couple of seconds and wnt back downstairs to his kong.