BC Boards

BC Shedding / Blowing coats

During my research I've read conflicting stories about how much BC's shed. Some say they only blow their coats infrequently (what does that mean btw? I assume it means their undercoat comes loose in clumps). How much hair do they shed daily / weekly?

I live in a very temperate climate so would that reduce the frequency of the dog blowing it's coat.

We basically have a warm summer and a less warm winter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had the pleasure of 6 blown coats this season. It started in March and is just now winding down. My BC's blew enough coat to fill a 13 gallon garbage bag twice. The Aussies weren't as bad but they blew nevertheless. My former foster was a smooth coat and he blew as much if not more than my rough coats. It was amazing, he looked like a border buffalo.

I'm still unsure of frequency. This is the first year that my Aussies have blown their coats. I've had Bozy 4 years and Cody for 2 years.

Niki my BC has only blown her coat once before and that was two summers ago, I've had her for 5 years. Buddy my BC has never blown until this year but I've only had him for a year and a half.

Riven is a rough coat. She's a BC mix so who knows what else she has going on in that fur of hers lol... A word of advice, dont shave your dog. You may think it will be better in the long run but you'll regret it. I had Riven shaved this summer and I missed her BC ears and butt fluff lol.

Mine only did it once. His hair is medium long. He seems to become hairier and fluffier now. He's 10.5 months old and only filled out my house with hair from July to August. It's stopped now. And no, his coat did not come out in clums, but rather in individual hairs. Gave him fish oil caplets every day and brushed him daily, that seemed to do the trick.

Here are some previous posts on the subject

Shedding??

Question about blowing coat

Is anyone elses dog still shedding?

I was without a dog from 2002 to 2006 and boy this was something I didn't miss. Before that, I had a Keeshond for 13 years and pretty much had to buy a new vacuum every year! Polly is a smooth coat bc and while it isn't as bad, I had to vacuum daily this summer when she was shedding more than usual. I think she has slowed down some. This was a double problem, she hates "Mean Mr. Mustard", the yellow vacuum I am currently using. Also, I had white furniture WAY before I had her---what was I thinking?? Charlene

Oreo is very rough coated and doesn't blow at all, doesn't shed a lot - it all ends up just in her coat, a huge snarled, matted mess.

Zoe doesn't typically shed very much, but a couple of weeks ago she blew her coat for the first time - yes, just what you said, clumps of undercoat, fur everywhere, shedding more than the rest of the year put together.

It really depends on the dog, I guess.

With 5 dogs in the house there is a lot of hair everywhere. I always clean it up at least once a month, and sometimes more often. Never in my life did I ever sign a contract saying that dog hair was worse than human hair, and that we had to waste valuable hours of out lives playing with hair transfers from one part of the house to another. No magic monster from the sky will descend to punish the hair ignorant. Wha`s the problem is that some people have actually been brainwashed to waste valuable living hours and energies about hair from animals.

Forgedaboudit.

Last winter my dog blew her coat big time, she looked awful. It was right after she had gone through false pregnancy, and had been spayed. I knew what was happening, but still wondered if she would ever get her beautiful coat back. The pictures aren't the greatest, but they do show a big difference in ner coat.

Here she is in January after she lost all her hair

100_0930a.jpg

This is from June, when her coat was back to normal

IMG_1154a.jpg

She blows her coat to a lesser extent every 8 months or so, but if I brush her regularly it's not a big deal. Other than that she is a very low shedding dog.