BC Boards

Vacation Recommendation? - OT

Do any of you know of any nice (or decent, anyway!) places to stay that accept dogs at the shore in southern North Carolina (south of the Outer Banks) or in northern South Carolina?

We usually go to the Outer Banks, but want to go a little further south this year and I haven't had any luck finding any internet leads on truly dog-friendly lodging.

I was wondering if any of you know of a place firsthand?

Last year we stayed on Sunset Beach on the golf course, which was 1 mile from the beach. It was a really nice place, but not on the beach. The link is here

For this year, we looked into going to Oak Island, which is about 30 minutes from Wilmington and probably 45 minutes to 1 hour from Myrtle Beach. Most of the units will accept pets, but we were not sure of the accomodations and it got somewhat costly for two people and a dog. There website is Oak Island rentals

We really enjoy the Ocean Isle area, which is half way between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington and has a very family friendly beach, but I think we will have to buy a house on the beach to take Nellie. :rolleyes:

If you like the mountains, I can tell you of a very nice bed n breakfast in western NC which is set up for people and there dogs. It is the Dog House Resort and it is were we will be going with Nellie this year instead of the beach.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Southport (Oak Island) or the Dog House let me know.

John

Can't help you on places to stay outside of the Outer Banks unfortunately.

My family stayed on Ocrakoke a few summers ago and brought Maggie - we all had a blast and Maggie especially liked chasing crabs on the beach! Nothing like an early morning beach run when you have the whole place to yourself either.

I really can't help you with CA, not familiar at all with the area.

I just wanted to say though, that the BEST vacations included Oreo. My family had a yearly ski trip, and my mom found one of the hotels right ON the ski hill (in the village) that allowed dogs. It makes my heart all warm and fuzzy that SOME establishments allow us to bring our pets. She had a ball, and we wouldn't have gone without her...

I like Long Beach, Yaupon, Surfside... Any of the Oak Island Beaches. I don't know how dog-friendly they are, but some of the rental houses do allow pets. I forget which one, but one of the companies doesn't allow pets under any circumstances. Growing up we stayed at Long Beach every summer. Some of my bestest childhood memories are from there. Digging "The Big Hole" in the sand... and then finding all the dead fish in it the next morning...