BC Boards

Bad in bed.

There's no monster under the bed.

There's a monster ON the bed, in the shape of a 43lb <1 yr old border collie.

Don't get me wrong - He is the sweetest boy 90% of the time. He'll cuddle right up on the couch. He responds well to 'sit' and 'here' and such. Not a perfect angel, he still jumps up now and then, though we almost have him broken of it.

But if someone is in bed, game on.

He'll jump on bed, bite, claw, paw, climb, lick, and otherwise be evil. We'd really like to let him be OUT of the kennel some night, but as soon as someone lays down in bed - he turns into hyper-spastic chew-puppy.

He does NOT chew on people, UNLESS its in bed. He loves to bite wrists and feet.

We've tried NO, and ignoring him. I've had to hold him still until he calms down a little, and put him in his Kennel, because its too much. Bitter apple works a little, but I dont want my sheets to stink like it.

any suggestions?

LOLOL Sounds like my Zoe-monster!! Every morning she attacks DH.... it's too funny (at least to me).

I think perseverence is the only way to deal with the behavior. He's young enough that he's kind of "duh" sometimes, but he should catch on. I tell Zoe no, and then ignore her.... if she continued to bite I"d grab her muzzle and repeat the deep-mean-voice "NO". With oreo I had the command "enough" which meant "game is over now." Maybe that would work better? Play with him and then say "enough" and stop all games. Hopefully in time he'll learn the difference. (Some behaviors can be stopped when they understand WHEN they can do it and when they can't.....)

Good luck with this. I personally love my wrestle matches with Zoe.

I have the same issue, now it seems he's calmed down a bit, but I am well too familiar with the bed zoomies He even brings his toy in bed and tries to cover us with them.

Firm "Stop it!", "Get off bed!"s and throwing his toys off bed usualy get him to stop (eventualy). The only thing that is 100% full-proof is shutting the lights off and then he falls asleep (on or off bed, it depends).

Since my parents are visiting us, we left them our bedroom and we sleep in another room. He hasn't been jumping as much on this other bed. Maybe he's growing up.

Natalie, in our house is my husband doing most of the wrestling with Ouzo, they even bite EACH OTHER! Therefore I don't even react anymore if one of them yaps. I simply tell them "you deserved it!", regardless which one cried, since I know they're both guilty. Well, Chris should know better :rolleyes: But it's too much fun to watch them, until one of them accidentaly steps on me while I'm reading! Then I get mad and get them both out of bed :D

Hahaha, Anda, oh hubby riles them both up.... hubby wrestles with Zeeke more, which is really dangerous (86lbs, not very coordinated). But when he wrestles with Zoe he then whines that she scratched him, etc... and then complains that she won't stop. Snort.

At less than a year old he may just be a wild child. :rolleyes: For my older dogs, when learning to be out of their crates for the night, when silliness started, in their crates they went. No "no" no nothing, just calmly, quietly, in the crates they went (the offending party). It took one of them one time, one three nights, and another about a week. They figured it out. However, with a Rowdy Rudy puppy, I don't know. If he's not close to settling yet, back to the crate he'd go for a couple months, and then I'd try again. :D

Reading these stories, I am laughing because, when I go to bed is the ONLY time Jackson will let me love and cuddle with him. That said, if I do it just one nano second too long, he decides, oh, well, if you ain't gonna read, then lets play! So it is a very fine line between getting my cuddles in and him thinking, well, if you got time for this, how about throwing something a bit!

Dixie girl wrote:

"....when I go to bed is the ONLY time Jackson will let me love and cuddle with him. That said, if I do it just one nano second too long, he decides, oh, well, if you ain't gonna read, then lets play! So it is a very fine line between getting my cuddles in and him thinking, well, if you got time for this, how about throwing something a bit!..."

Exactly!!!

I don't get to cuddle with Meg unless she is in a hazy transition stage between sleepy and asleep. After or before the zoomies, after or before dawn and twilight wildlife symphonies, after or before Sox's gadabouts.

If she thinks that we've had enough sleep or aren't tired enough then its romp, zoom, play, whine "where have you hidden my toys?"

LOL to all the stories :rolleyes: Riven is a cuddle bug all the time, so she's the same in bed. Although she takes advantage anytime either of us moves and wiggles her way inbetween us. She thinks she's in heaven. But my husband thinks she's a rottweiler or something and messes with her hitting her with pillows and she attacks him and pillows and anything else in the general area including me!! lol I usually sit on the floor by the bed while they play egging Riven on. If DH gets too rough she'll run and hide behind me and I'll say "get Daddy!" and she'll tear up on the bed attacking him again. Its pretty comical. She was so wore out yesterday that her tongue kept flopping out the side of her mouth... I love when dogs do that :D

I also think it is an issue of perserverance though to calm your boy down. I completely second what Natalie said

So far, I haven't had the pups on my bed. They still go to the kennels at night, but I want to start gradually getting them onto the bed. The main problem is that the bed is the cat's private domain, and, as she HATES the dogs, I'll probably have to settle for their being on the sofa with me.

Also, the dogs are so rambunctious when they are together, that I doubt that any of us would get any sleep.

Ever since Pegasus was attacked in April and beat up during our walk, once I turn off the light after getting in to bed he will bring one of his bones in and lay on my stomach then roll or push up on to my chest, like to say I'll give it to you to let me stay. He has always been allowed in the bed to nap or rest my room is one of his safe places to go if needed. I would rather not have his bones in the bed but he has been through so much, that until he is no longer hurting in mind and in body I'll have to live with it.

Tom and Pegasus

What a sweet boy Pegasus is, bringing you "bed warming" presents! I agree that since he's been through a lot of stress, it's better to just accept his gifts and then simply remove them later. I guess it's like with an old relative that keeps brining you yuky presents: you don't want to hurt their feelings: you say thank you, and tuck them away!

I forgot to add here, on the bed subject, how my darling is so considerate towards me that he goes through the trouble of hiding raw hides, bones, chewies, etc, under my pillow. Sometimes I find them when I get in bed, other times he brings them during the night, so I'd be surprised in the morning, in case I'm hungry :rolleyes:

It's his take on mint on the pillow

This sounds like a problem you always see on the Dog Whisperer. If I start rough housing with Ruger in bed or out he gets wild very fast. With his rough mouth I can only play so long. When I am finished I let him know it and it is over. The whole key is letting your dog know who is boss. With Ruger and Casey our Springer, all it takes is one stern look and that alone will stop them cold. The human needs to be the dominant player in the house. In the wild, the pack leader is not going to let another animal out of his control.