BC Boards

De-Registration w/AKC

Jodi

I called the AKC today to ask them if there were any forms -- or particular procedure I need to follow -- to de-register my dog. After much ado and time on hold, I spoke to that person's supervisor who informed me that the AKC "doesn't do that." I asked, "Why not?" Her response was, "I don't know." Imagine that. She told me to put something in writing and direct it to case management.

I will send the letter off today.

Jodi

Yeah, AKC is very much so just that, a lot of people who know little to nothing about what is really going on around them.

Congrats on at least trying. It seems that many people have been contacting them to removed their dogs from their books lately. Maybe they will start to get a hint.

Good luck!

Katelynn

I asked the AKC a long time ago to de-register a bitch and they refused....needless to say, I think we used the AKC paper as fire starter or something like that.

The bitch came with AKC papers and the prior owner had tranfered them in my name, but then again this was before I switched sides.....

Now my dogs are dual registered...ABCA and CBCA....

Diane

>

Sam, I've always thought you may be too optimistic in your interpretation of that letter. Looking at it with the cynical eye of a lawyer, I thought it was written in a way contrived to make you think they were de-registering your dogs, but without quite saying they were, and without actually doing it.

I know you shared it with me at the time, and I'll scratch around for my copy and post it to show what I mean. Can't do it right now, because my husband's office is having a function tonight that I'm stuck going to (oops, I mean, that I'm looking forward to going to), and I have to get ready and leave now.

However, I should note that the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America, whose policies when their breed was taken over I have always admired, allowed for repentance, and would treat a certified letter from a dog owner to the AKC requesting de-registration as the equivalent of de-registration, provided the owner always acted after that as if the dog was de-registered (e.g., never entered it in AKC events, never registered pups from it, etc.). I think if we adopt any kind of exclusionary policy, we ought to do the same.

Yep, I am back...we had a huge barn fire (for those of you that didn't know) and we lost everything...sheep and horse supplies, all hay/grain, music studio, spare mobile home, workshop, three rigs etc and some sheep and cats.

Three hours later we would have lost all of our Border Collies as their kennels are in/next to barn. As it was, I had two down there and managed to get them out as flames where shooting six feet high in their kennels.

The barn (80 x 70 ft0 was totally loss. I am still numb but not crying anymore. Now we have to rebuild a $89,000 barn with the $27,000 insurance check.

I finally am resurfacing now....it's good to be back.

You know, I am sure glad that I have good recall on the young pups...it saved their lives when Rio was cowering in the corner and ray was frantic with flames all around them....Rio came blasting to my recall and Ray never listened so well. Rio's recall saved his life.

Diane

Good Lord, that is just awful. I'm so sorry to hear that. It's terrible about the lost property and worse about the animals; but thank God it wasn't you or your family that got hurt. I shudder to think if you hadn't gotten the dogs out. (I often tell people that you can save a dog's life, if they have a good recall; you just proved it.)

It totally sucks that your insurance won't cover the real cost of the replacement, and it must be very stressful and a big hassle to have to rebuild. I can only imagine.

But I guess I'm hijacking the thread... sorry all, and I hope the rebuilding goes well and quickly.

Found my file on Sam's attempt to have her dogs de-registered. She wrote an excellent letter to the AKC, enclosing copies of her dogs' registration papers that she had voided, and stating her desire that they be de-registered. Here is the letter she got back:

"We are writing in response to your correspondence regarding the above listed dogs.

You have requested to have these dogs records voided in our system.

At this time, we have updated our records for these dogs.

Should further correspondence prove necessary concerning this matter, please be certain to reference this letter to ensure proper handling."

The letter is signed by "Wanda Hampton, Case Management Department."

It seems to me that the straightforward thing for them to say if they were honoring Sam's request would be "We have de-registered your dogs" or "We have updated our records to indicate that your dogs have been de-registered," or something like that. But they don't say that. They say, "We have updated our records for these dogs," but they don't say how. They could have "updated" them just by a notation that Sam's letter was received. It seemed to me, and still does, that they were trying to lull Sam into a belief that her dogs had been de-registered, but not exactly saying it, and not doing it. However, Sam did all she could, so I think we should treat the dogs as de-registered, even if they don't.

In the light of recent developments, though, I now think the best way to get one's dog de-registered would be to write saying you've just learned that the dog in question is not of pure breeding, and therefore should be de-registered -- sorry for the mistake.

WE could start a whole new wave of Beardie crosses. A little Hollywood-style makeup and there you go - an unregisterable dog. Hoist on their own petard.