BC Boards

Miss America for dogs...?

G_Davis

Is it true? I was talking to my Mom last night (bless her heart), and she said she'd tried to reach me earlier to tell me about this dog show she was sure I would have liked, that she'd just watched. It was like "Miss America for dogs" -- they dressed them up, had representatives from each state, had talent competition, the whole thing. And she was sure I would have liked it, because A BORDER COLLIE WON!!! Gag me. Just what we need. And there were evidently quite a few Border Collies in the "competition". But it was Ma, you know -- I couldn't tell her how glad I was that I hadn't seen it, how it kind of made me want to puke just hearing about it, and now I would be naggingly depressed for days. I couldn't say, "look Ma, next time you see something like that, change channels IMMEDIATELY, and don't EVER tell me about it".

Ah well.....so you guys have to hear about it.

Sorry.

Hi,

I watched about fifteen minutes of it, not sure which of the two Border Collie mix (both were listed as mixes) won but I just thought it was too silly to watch. However, I will say two good things about it. Neither of the Border Collies, and few of the other dogs were fancy show dog types. In fact, the one that looked the most like a purebred Border Collie was floppy eared and fat LOL. There were many mixes in the contestants, and a nice variety of breeds/mixes. Secondly, at least it was honest about what it was- no talking about judging for standards or good conformation. Dogs were judged on "beauty", "talent", "poise" and "evening wear". Obviously very silly and fun.

Definitely not my cup of tea, but not the end of the breed by any means.

Guest totallyterry2003

Would hate to embaress my dogs by dressing them up like foo foos. This is my day to be super sensitive about depriving the elderly and dogs of their dignity.

Both deserve better.

Maybe tomorrow, my sense of humor will return.

A. - I hope the dogs have matching outfits. :rolleyes: Otherwise it just wouldn't work. Tutus for the females and what, tights or tuxes for the males. Pink - or just pink trim. Hey, my great uncle Johnny wore an orange tux when he appeared at the NY Hippodrome. If it was good enough for Johnny....

But will the sheep take seriously a border collie in pink frills? Or is it just all white dogs that the sheep ignore? :D

Guest totallyterry2003

Thanks gang for making me laugh and bringing my sense of humour to the forefront.

I heard that only the top 20 finalists were allowed to "dress formal" at the Bluegrass. It is the handler's (male and female) that dress in the black dinner attire so that they do not detract from the flambouyant attire of their jewelry studded dogs. Thr sheeker the dog's outfit the more sheep points her/she gets.

I can tell from your posts that you have not made the top 20 before. Everyone who is anyone and has made the top 20 knows the correct fashion etiquete.

Thought that I better explain the correct fashion etiquete so you would not embarress yourserlf .......should you be in the elite top 20.

Trivia question of the day: Is there a way to make my spell check work when I post to the boards?

Well of course we will be in the top 20, so I am grateful to you for saving us from a major fashion faux pas. However, Hobbes refuses to wear rhinestones. You know what he's like. Would Sam's bra be an appropriate substitute? With something tasteful in chiffon perhaps?

A.

Guest totallyterry2003

Sam's bra would be very appropriate but unfortunately I heard that Maddie has actually worn it out and it needed to be purged.

It is such an expensive bra that Maddie hated to thow it out or up.

Rhinestones are gaudy. Jewelry worn in the top 20 does not include costume jewelry. You cannot fake your way when you are in this elite group.

I hope the dogs have matching outfits. Otherwise it just wouldn't work.

You think that's a joke. I wish I could say it was, but it isn't. Ever seen freestyle obedience?

In and of itself, freestyle is not a bad idea. And I think it requires a lot of training and skill. But the execution tends to be a little, er... I don't even know what to call it. I haven't actually seen a handler and dog in matching tutus, but it could easily happen.

OMG! well this week Maddie ate clorox cleanup wipes, she was her own little dispenser...I also broke down and bought 5 new bras for her to eat, cant have her going hungry!

Just home from oatlands as the state police CANCELLED the trial today because they were scared we might get some really bad tornadoes...very scarey stuff!

So I really gotta see this tutu, and puple shoes???? When you and hobbes make the 20, I will be glued to my seat to see the walk to the post, it will be truely eye catching!!!

Hey man remember to pack beverages, I am planning on having a party at Bluegrass so come prepared!

It was a great trial! Bev won it with 100 out of 105 on way tough sheep, it was a beautiful run, David Henry Second, Gene Sheniger 3rd I think? Bobby ford was in with both dogs, I was in with Grace, Wilsons in with one each, Carla King in with Taz...Maddie just out of the money darn it! A super trial but will tell you all about it Wed...when you leaving? Thought you would be on the road already!

Guest totallyterry2003

God, sounds like the only thing that was ever scarier than the sheep at Oatlands was the weather this year.

Glad everyone was safe.

Which dog did Bev win with? Pippa?

It appears that having pups didn't slow down or make Gracie rusty.

Will be drowning my sorrows about not running at the Bluegrass this week and going through all of my liquid stock so will not have anything to contribute in the way of refreshments when I come down to watch the Top 20 runs on Sunday.

Since the Crazy Canadian and the Wild Red Head will be in the top 20, will just help myself to their supply as they will be too busy running their dogs to relax.

Best of luck to all of you.

Guest totallyterry2003

God, sounds like the only thing that was ever scarier than the sheep at Oatlands was the weather this year.

Glad everyone was safe.

Which dog did Bev win with? Pippa?

It appears that having pups didn't slow down or make Gracie rusty.

Will be drowning my sorrows about not running at the Bluegrass this week and going through all of my liquid stock so will not have anything to contribute in the way of refreshments when I come down to watch the Top 20 runs on Sunday.

Since the Crazy Canadian and the Wild Red Head will be in the top 20, will just help myself to their supply as they will be too busy running their dogs to relax.

Best of luck to all of you.

Guest totallyterry2003

My timing still sucks as the double post verifies.

Guess I need to take a course in clicker training. ha

LOL!!!! Hey I am sooooooo happy you are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will have time and catch up, I sure love the bluegrass!!! What great sheep.

Bev won with Pippa, it was a cracker of a good run... Gracie was a bit rusty as evidenced by our two point shed, but hey, I will give her the benifit of the doubt this time! After her forced exile into motherhood she deserves a break, I am not totally sure she has fogiven me for that yet!

Anyway, see you Double lift day, god I would sell my soul if I had one to make it in!

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

Ever seen freestyle obedience? ...I haven't actually seen a handler and dog in matching tutus, but it could easily happen.

Hi Melanie,

Not to split hairs, but in freestyle competition, you won't see tutus on the dog. According to the WCFO rules, "Dogs may wear a decorative coordinated collar and ankle bands if the handler wishes. No other adornment allowed on dogs." The other organization, which is really just heelwork-to-music, allows only a simple collar (no prongs, no training collars).

Bear has tried musical freestyle and quite enjoyed himself. He played the role of the hockey puck and wore a sparkly collar and little red sequined wrist bands. I wore full hockey gear. Not my proudest doggy momement, but it was fun. It's really just a way to make basic obedience more fun for the handler and dog.

Now when he does his therapy visits, he has been known to wear capes, various holiday antler configurations, and once even a false tail. You know why? It makes the residents of the hospital laugh, which makes also makes Bear happy.

The purpose of the Fox show, I believe, was to make people smile. I wasn't able to watch it myself as was trying to cheer on our beloved Vancouver Canucks (who bit it anyway :rolleyes: ).

Kristi