BC Boards

Miss America for dogs...?

G_Davis

I am not familiar with the rules of freestyle, so thanks for the clarification. I have only seen a couple of competitions and exhibitions, and I can't remember which organization it was. I do recall seeing some elaborate outfits (one was a One-Eyed-One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater getup that was like a purple slinky covering the entire dog, with wings and antennae attached to it) but they might have been just for fun. I don't know the rules.

I've just always thought of freestyle as kind of the "dorky" dog sport. Now, I've seen it done very well (there is a competitor at my dog training club who is one of the best in the country, and she always looks "cool"), with really fast moves and lots of athleticism. But I've also seen a lot of slow-stepping and prancing with dogs sporting silly bandanas and ladies wearing a little too much lipstick. I know how much work it takes to do this well, and I've even taught Solo a few freestyle moves, like weaving through my legs, backing up and jumping over my legs. It's fun to train for, but the end result... I dunno.

I mean, agility looks COOL. Freestyle normally does not. I just can't imagine putting that much effort in, to look that geeky.

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

"But I've also seen a lot of slow-stepping and prancing with dogs sporting silly bandanas and ladies wearing a little too much lipstick."

Remove the bandanas and lipstick and you could be describing agility too. :rolleyes:

I think every 'doggy sport' has its flashy participants, and its, um, less flashy participants. In agility, I run one of each.

I am sure that people get quite bored watching Bear and I meander through the course. When Wicked comes out of her ex-pen, everyone waits to see her run because she's so fast (and loud, and silly). But if I could only run one dog at a trial, it would be Bear because we are a team, boring as it might be to watch.

Kristi

Sorry to abruptly carry on with the topic of my original post, but I DID want to thank Jaime for putting my mind at ease about the dog beauty pageant not being the "end of the breed". I'm not sure that's exactly what I was thinking, but thanks anyway.

So I guess it's just more harmless mindless fun, huh?

Thanks again...