BC Boards

Age range of First Heat

So, what's a pup's age range that they would get their first heat? River is 7mos and nothing yet.

I'm waiting until after her 1st one before getting her spayed... but wondering how long I'll be waiting. Agility classes start in 2 months... would be nice not to have to miss several class because she goes in heat.

I too waited for Maddies first heat....and guess when it happend? A couple weeks before she turned 1. According to the vet, that's totally normal and all dogs are different.

Oh and we were also in agility but didn't have to miss any classes because of it. A dog can still train in heat. Maddies concentration was a bit off, as was that of some of the male dogs but otherwise she was fine.

Why wait is a good question though, I guess I was kind of curious about the personality change, and with her there was a big one. She's kind of got an attitude now :rolleyes:

I've had them come in heat as early as 8 months, and as late as 15 months. IMO, if you are waiting because you think it will "improve her personality" - IT WON'T. I find bitches just become "bitchier" once they have cycled. If you are waiting on your vet's advise or because of physical maturity - like growth plate closure, then you have a while to wait (til at least 12 months) and you will have to take your chances on whether she has an accidental breeding in the meantime. BTW, most agility training sites (mine, for instance) do not allow bitches in season to attend, so you are looking at missing 3 weeks out of a session. It's not that she can't train during that time, but it's way too distracting for any male dogs there, and she will drip "calling cards" on the equipment.

Generally I've had vets recommend 6 mo for spaying. Some do spay younger, and many rescues send pups as young as 8 to 12 weeks to their new homes already spayed/neutered.

My agility center does not allow dogs in heat to attend class - distraction for other dogs. I'm not going to DIE if I miss class, as I've already trained 2 dogs in the basics of agility. It's just nice to the have the 'appointment' of class.

I have done research as to when to spay and I'm very satisfied about why I'm waiting until after my pup's first before I do so. And the main reason is because of growth issues that are impacted/modified if one spays before the first heat. It's my decision. And since River will specifically be an agility dog, that is a priority for me.

I would really like replies that let me know when your dogs have come into heat, or you know when other dogs have (ie. your experiences) not your opinions about when, if, and why I should spay as that was not the question. - I'm not trying to be mean, that's just not what I asked nor care to discuss further.

Thank you to those who replied on topic.

Raising River,

Your question has been answered already. River can come into heat at any time from 6 months on. Everyone else's experiences won't affect the outcome with respect to River. Be aware of the first signs that she's coming in so you can protect her from being bred at that time. First heats don't always last the full 21 days either.

J.

also be careful after her heat as well! brighid had her 1st at 7 months and no problems at all.

my friends irish terrier pup (8 months at the time), came into season a few weeks before brighid. all went well she has an entire dog so they were kept seperated. 2 months later she starts to bleed again, the vets said not to worry as it is quite common, then after everything seemed to have settled down, her dogs tied. i didnt know that it was common for bitches to be irregular like that so i kept a very close eye on brighid after that!

fortunately as my friends saw them tie they were able to get her the injection, then had to wait and see if it would trigger another season, it didnt thankfully as i dont know if they could have coped with 3 seasons in four months!

for other's experience...Two of mine came in season for the first time around 10-11 months old, one at 15 months old, and Risk is just 13 months and has not come in yet. I do agree that a fit bitch will probably hold off longer (and maybe go longer between heats) than a pudgy one - like those teenage gymnasts who don't ever menstruate.

ALso, a common misconception (pardon the pun) is that a bitch is "out of heat" when the bleeding stops. Usually, that is just when she WOULD be receptive (10-18 days into the heat cycle). The discharge just changes from red to pink/clear. I keep my bitches under lock and key for at least 21 days from the first signs of heat, and I've heard of conception taking place from breedings up to 25 days after the first spotting.

Raising River,

The competitive gymnast comparison is a good one. Even older bitches that are on the thin side may not come into heat. Kind of like marathoners (or anorexics, for that matter)--no body fat of any kind can cause menstruation/heat cycles to cease. I think Twist came in around 6 months, but don't really remember. She and Kat cycle every 8 months, though I guess that observation is irrelevant for a dog that is to be spayed after the first heat.

J.

It may just be folk lore with no foundation, but I've heard here that bitches may tend to follow their mother's pattern as to when they come in first. It may be worth checking with her breeder to see if they can remember when her mother first came in.