BC Boards

worried - Dylan's jaw .. ?

Zoe

I should say I am off to the vet first thing tomorrow, but can't stand not to ask your advice. Today I noticed something was not quite right with Dylan. When we went on our walks he seemed not to be opening his mouth to pant fully. Like his jaw was opening only half way and he would open and semi-close it frequently. Also, when he yawned, the yawn would break off half way. It is like when we want to yawn when we shouldn't and we kind of avert it half way through. He didn't seem to be able to do a full yawn. He didn't seem to be in any pain, but it didn't look right/comfortable to me. He played with his balls for 15 minutes this morning and again for about 25 minutes this afternoon as normal - although now as I reflect on the day, he maybe took longer to drop them ( at least this afternoon ).I didn't think too much of it because he can be so intense when he is playing ball that he will forget to drop one if he is fixated on another. He has been eating and drinking normally. I have to be honest and say that I am not quite sure when I noticed the problem - I think it was this morning, but it may have been this afternoon :rolleyes: . I tried to play with him this evening as we usually do for 10 minutes or so before his bedtime but he wouldn't drop his ball. He wanted to play but wouldn't drop. Although he would give it to me if I took it. I stopped the game after a couple of attempts. Usually when we finish our evening game I turn my bath on and Dylan gets all excited about that ( he is obsessed about the bathroom ). He will whine in excitement when I say it is bath-time. Tonight when I said it he still had a ball in his mouth, but yelped in obvious pain ( to my ears ) when he dropped it. Dh thinks it may have just been excitement, but admits something seems strange with Dylan. My thoughts now are that he may have dislocated his jaw although I know that may sound dramatic. Any experience of anything like this ? Or any ideas ? I will tell the vet what I have written here, but if I could go in with any other info. I would feel better. I have searched on the boards and found one scary article about bells palsy in dogs but the dog in question had very severe symptoms . Sorry, don't know how to link that. Thanks for listening.

Zoe, I've been trying hard to remember details - but I can't - however, a friend's Golden retriever had a problem that sounded a bit like that. What I can't remember is what it was called, or exactly how it was treated - but the good news, is that it was treated successfully, and he didn't ever have it again. Not very much help, I know - sorry.

It'll be interesting to hear what the vet says.

Well, Bell's Palsy may sound scary. But my son (age 33) had it this summer. It was scary when it started. But he came through it quickly with no remaining problems.

It could even be just a sore jaw. Wish dogs could talk and tell us what's hurting when. Best you can do is go to the vet.

Heck, that's what was scariest about having kids. There about 2 years when they cry and you have no way to find out what's really wrong. As whiney as a 2-year-old can get, at least they can complain in some detail.

I can't tell without a physical exam, but it might be a retrobulbar abscess (an abscess forming behind the eye). When the dog opens its mouth, the rotation of the jaw puts pressure on the swollen area behind the eye and causes pain, so the dog either inhibits the mouth-opening or it cries (or both). It is generally only on one side and the eye on the affected side may look funny - the third eyelid elevated, the eye squinty or weepy or red or swollen. Sometimes the entire head on that side will be a little swollen and hot.

This all sounds pretty awful, but it usually responds readily to being lanced (I approach these from inside the mouth) and medicated. Mind you, it could be something else entirely (a physical is essential to diagnosis), but that's what popped into my head based on the description. I'd be curious to hear what the diagnosis is.

Thank you soooo much everyone for your replies. I couldn't read them before I went to the vet as I couldn't access the Boards ( routine maintenance ). Can I give you some more info. ? Sorry this is gonna be long, but I don't want to leave anything out. Last night when we went to bed Dylan went to get his nylabone which he always brings to bed - but never chews ! He came and lay down beside me with said nylabone in mouth and I asked if he was going to give it to me. I was messing around with his head behind his right ear giving him a kind of massage I suppose, and as he dropped it he yelped in pain and then gave me a million kisses :rolleyes: I don't know if I hurt him or if the action hurt him.) But it made me think it was possibly something on the right side. AK doc dog - you may be onto something because his right eye has been weepy - especially today. I didn't think it was connected, and didn't mention anything about that to our vet. I will though, if I can find a way to explain it in Japanese... ( no, I WILL, I shall find a way ! )But I should also say that Dylan does and has pretty much always had problems ( weepiness/conjunctivitus ( sp.? )) with his right eye. I took Dylan to the vet this afternoon and took him out this morning - although I didn't play ball with him, of course. Another thing happened this morning which made me certain Dylan had a problem. He always helps me do the laundry - he brings stuff to the washing machine from the laundry basket. Anyway, he brought a sock and yelped when he dropped it. I was going to put an immediate stop to his helping me, but he did that himself and lay on my bed looking mournful. I should mention 3 things I neglected to think of in my original post. 1.) He fell over on Sunday - he slipped as he turned to catch a ball that bounced oddly. It wasn't a bad fall and it didn't seem to bother him at all. He did have a mud smear on one side of his face, but I can't remember which side. 2.)My Mother bought him a big rope ball ( about 12 cm or 5 to 6 inches in diameter ), which he chewed on Saturday night briefly, and again on Sunday - it was never thrown to him as it is heavy and unwieldy. And it has already gone in the bin as she went back to England and he destroys rope toys easily so I never buy them. 3.) For the last month or so I have been throwing Dylan kong balls when I want him to have a long distance run.This is not every day and when I use them it is only for 5 minutes or so. He isn't usually able to catch them, but he occassionally does. If you haven't seen them, they are hard and heavy. And they probably hurt when he does. I got them from the U.S. thinking they would be like his kongs - i.e., just rubbery. They aren't and I have decided to stop using them as from yesterday. I told the vet the 3 above mentioned items and also took our regular balls in to show him. I also told him everything I have told you so far. He examined Dylan's face, teeth and jaw. And elicited a yelp from Dylan when he opened his jaw so far. He also asked me if I played ball with Dylan every day and what kind of balls I used. He recommended stopping use of the kong balls, but said the other balls seemed to be ok. ( They are soft and light - tennis ball size or slightly smaller ). He wanted to know if I played with sticks with Dylan - I don't ( although he does pick them up ). He also checked Dylan's front legs - he seemed to be worried about inflammation of the joints. He was also asking if I used big balls with Dylan as he was concerned Dylan might be opening his mouth too wide which may cause inflammation of his joints there. He said he couldn't find anything wrong from his examination and prescribed a 5 day course of painkillers and ballrest. He said he thought the problem would clear up in 3 days and to 'phone if I thought it hadn't.

Hmmm...... The painkillers are " rimadyl ", which I think I have heard of before on the Boards - off to search.

Liz, I don't understand your jargon...off to search again !

Thanks for listening.

I have a Rat Terrier that has an auto immune disease that can cause him to be unable to open his mouth all the way. It never caused him to yelp in pain though. What I noticed was that he would pick up his dog biscuit, but was unable to eat it. The diagnosis was made after blood was drawn and something was out of kilter. After taking prednisone for a a week or so he was able to open his mouth all the way again. He stayed on the pred for a few months. I keep a close eye on him now to be sure he can chew his biscuits. He never had a problem with his regular food because I always wet it and let it get soft before I feed it to him.

We've had several dogs at the clinic I work at with jaw problems. One was diagnosed as an autoimmune problem (i think it may have been called masticulatory myositis???). The owners never treated it properly and now the dog's jaw just doesn't open more than an inch and the muscles are too far damaged to fix. Another one had almost a paralysis of the jaw...couldn't close it all the way and that dog had hit its head a few days previous. They figure it was some sort of inflammed nerve. It got better with time. Those are the only 2 I can think of at the moment.

Thanks again for your replies. I am making note of everything and will search some of the stuff you have mentioned. I am giving Dylan the rimadyl - no difference after one day.I will give it 3 days and then maybe 5... And I will go back to the vet on Monday. His spirits are up so that is good. We did some agility stuff today ( using treats - I'll have to be careful he doesn't gain weight ), and had a couple of loooong walks.

jrid, if you are there - how old was your terrier when he was diagnosed ? I know you say he doesn't yelp in pain but do you think/know whether he is in pain because of it ?

I'll update as developments occur. You all really do make me feel better. I need to get to the bottom of this.

My Rat Terrier never seemed to be in any pain. Like I said previously, he could eat his soft food, but could not eat a hard biscuit. He was 4 years old at the time of diagnosis. I don't know how long he had the problem before I noticed it. When I would put him in his kennel run for the day I would give him a biscuit, shut the gate and go on. Ever since he was diagnosed I watch him to make sure he can chew the biscuit. I don't think his jaw problem is his only auto immune problem. He can not grow toe nails either and the two nails that do grow are real shaley and crumbley.

Because of his physical problems, his nickname is "Lucky". A year ago he scratched the cornea on his right eye. He had surgery to try to repair the damage. After six weeks of treatment, it was decided he had glaucoma in that eye and ended up having to have the eye removed.