BC Boards

5 month Old Pup.. Too Small?

Alicia

Hey all,

I'm new here. And a new owner to a wonderful 5month old Female B/W Short Coat BC named "Dally"

My question is on her size. I know BCs come in a WIDE range of sizes but I am curious how large Dally may get.. well rather how small she is going to be.

Has anyone had a 5 month pup at only 17 lbs?

I checked the search and found apuppy size post but.. none of them were THIS small...

Alicia,

As long as she is eating she'll be fine. You're better off not over feeding her to try to make her bigger than her genetics dictate because all you'll do is make her fat and increase her chances of other health problems. They all grow at different rates to different end sizes and it's not possible to say if she's too small or even too big.

Mark

My 31 lb female was only 15 lbs when she was 5 months old. It is healthier for them to grow SLOWLY, so keep her thin. As long as she has energy to spare, is bright & alert, healthy looking, etc she is probably just a smaller BC.

I'm not feeding her to make up for it. She was under weight for my taste when I got her so I am uping her to a proper lean weight, which she is close to.

I'm glad to hear other dogs have been her size at this age because other places I have asked the smallest 5mth old was around 25lbs.

Thanks guys

Alicia,

I never weighed by female border collie as she was growing up, but at 3 years of age she is 28 #. Her dam is 30# , her sire about 45#.

Lyn's size has not seemed to hurt her anyhttp://fieldandfarmphoto.com/USBCHA%20NurseryPrelim%20Wed/

Don't know if this link works or not, but here are some photos of Lyn at work.

Border Collies are so across the board when it comes to weight. Derry, my red and white is about 36lbs at 19months. I think she was about 18-20lbs at 5 months. Ellie, our b&W rescue is 38lbs at 8 years. Willy, the rescue I had from before was 65lbs when we got him at 3 and stayed that weight till 12 and he ran just about every day. He was a muscular build as opposed to Derry who's built like a Whippet in a BC costume.

From what I see this is one breed that normal could be a very wide range. If your pup is eating well and is active, as they say, it's all good!

-jay

Thanks guys

I am figuring shes just going to be small but it seems some of your guys' pups have been her size and gotten decent size.

I lvoe her no matter what but being able to work cattle would be great ;D

Alright so how about this,

shelby is 20 pounds at about 14 weeks old lol

for previous experiance how big do you think that she might get

Hi, Alicia ---

Julie's right. As the saying goes, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. (Not meaning that a good cowdog fights the stock :rolleyes: but you get the idea...) If a dog lacks "try," it doesn't matter how big he is.

My trainer Anna Guthrie trials her dogs on cattle. This August her good dog Riddle was 2nd in the WSDA Cattle Dog Series Finals in Douglas, Wyoming, 3rd in the Morrill (Nebraska) Cattle Dog Shoot Out and 1st in the Laramie County Cattle Trial in Cheyenne, and Riddle is not a big dog. Rid's smaller than my Lulu, and Lu is 35 lb dripping wet.

Oh, and as everyone has said, it's MUCH healthier not to let a growing pup get pudgy. Lean is good. (Welcome to the Boards, by the way! You've probably seen the Cow Dog News site. Info on trials, etc.)

I wouldn't worry as long as your dog seems healthy and happy. You have received a lot of terrific advice from folks who know a lot.

My Allie is 30 lbs. most of the time and 18 1/2 inches at the withers at 18 mos.

Ability to herd cattle/sheep is not reflected in the dogs size -- that is an inherited (and trained!) trait.

We know a tiny little dog - a BC/? mix (possibly ACD/maybe even a Corgi because Sadie has miniature little legs) that is one of the most amazing cattle dogs I have ever seen.

Thanks guys I'm thinking Dally's gonna be a sassy lil cowdog someday about the 3rd day I had her, I was turning out my work's TB stallion (about 17hh, Big boy) He was acting up a bit, just dancing. Well, Dally just circled him and kinda barked at him a bit, he didnt stop so she snapped up at him, her knocked her over just walked over (not on) her, she went tumbling and hopped right back up, no cry or anything and snapped at his tail. I had to yell at her because I cant have her trying to herd the horses but I was pretty impressed with her ;D This all happened in a matter of seconds lol

Anywho, thanks all, I'm sure Dally's gonna be a great lil cowdog and am not worried too much about ehr size, just sick of people calling her a Jack Russel or Rat Terrier People are weird...

My Whinny is about 20-25ish pounds at 5 1/2 months shes going to be smaller and more lean I think

And around the horses, Whinny loves the broom and the wheelbarrow tires too much to pay attention to the horses. When she does get distracted by them she just does the BC stare....she only had to get in trouble 1 time to figure out she cant play with the horses, hehe

Some BCs are fine with them. I used to take Duncan to the stable with me several times a week. I taught him to hug the wall if we had to go past a horse on cross ties and to never stand behind one. When I was riding he slept under the bleachers and waited for me. He made friends with some of the horses and would run from stall to stall to say "hi." One horse in particular like to play games with him and would lean out the stall door and grab a mouth full of Duncan's hair with his lips when he wasn't looking.

All of my horses are "Dog safe" They have been around, trail riding, working, training, cleaning stalls, etc with my dog(s) in the stall, arena, trail etc.

I too work at Vet Clinic and know the damage that can be caused by a horse hoof.. but.. my dogs are with me all the time and they have never even been kicked at.

The deal with the stud was just her getting in the way. he walked over the top of her, rolled her over and then she got in trouble. she hasnt even atempted anything since and if she does. She'll get in trouble.

Thanks for teh warning.. but.. I do understand the risks.