BC Boards

seizure log

borderbob

how many of you with dogs that have siezures do any documentation of them? we have a retired sar golden who has them.we've kept a notebook on time,date,length,and what he was doing just before.ive recently looked up full moons for the past two years and found shemps siezures coinside with full moons.any one else notice this??????

My Dolly was an epi dog and from the time her seizures started at 9 or 10 months of age, I kept a seizure diary. It was in the hopes to connect her seizures to something---find rhyme or reason for them. No common thread was apparent, full moon phases, exercise---nothing.

I think anyone sharing their life with an epi dog looks for a common denominator for the seizure episodes. Such is human nature. Such is the nature of the disease. That why I felt so helpless and frustrated with Dolly's epilepsy.

Dolly died this past February a couple of months shy of her 11th birthday due to a particularly bad bout of seizures.

I had 2 epi Goldens over the years. Never could correlate their seizures to anything but "stress inducement" of some sort - mental or physical. Bob - if you haven't done so already, check out this website. There's very good information on it, and I hear that they are close (within a couple of years) to coming up with a DNA marker for epilepsy in BC's. There's an ongoing research study, and I would urge anyone with a seizuring BC (or a relative to one) to send in a sample and pedigree for their database. http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

We have 2 seizure BCs and I keep a log and also can find no rhyme or reason to their seizures. It makes me crazy because I would like to say this is what causes their seizures and then eliminate it from their environment. (Full moon would be hard to eliminate.) We have eliminated wheat, soy products and rosemary, but I'm not sure that really makes a difference.

Barb S

Yes, I am familiar with the correlation of seizure activity coinciding with the full moon. Don't know what the reason might be, but learned about it when Minnie began having seizures in Jan. It's been several months now since her last one. I found alot of useful info on seizures here:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/