BC Boards

What can you do with an old border collie ?

What can you do/teach for sports or hobbies for an old border collie you’ve rescued that’s over ten years old ?

I would probably start by seeing if the dog would like to learn to fetch. I like this for older dogs because it can be done at any level, including just in the house, but is fun for the dog and for you.

Another thing would simply be long walks, or reasonable hikes. Some dogs at that age, if they have led an active life, and still in great shape for hiking even long distances, but you will need to see for yourself what kind of physical condition this dog is in.

Heavy-duty dog sports like flyball or agility are probably out because they are so physically demanding, and do best when the dog has youthful energy.

Finally, I highly recommend Musical Canine Freestyle, which a dog can perform at any age and fitness level. Fun for dog and handler both and you can even compete with it if you are so inclined.

Definitely an older dog can learn new tricks !! As long as they are in good health. Many of my dog sports friends will transition their retired agility, flyball or disc dogs to nosework/Scentwork.

Dogs love to use their minds so any activity that engages their mind, but is easier on their joints will be great. 

Mine had already been in agility and loved it, so she continued to classes after 10,  but with very low jumps and no contacts. Once Kylie's eyesight became compromised (she had trouble judging distance) then we stopped agility.  I have a video of Rusty doing agility in my garage when he was 10 or 11...he never really enjoyed class, but loved doing it at home.  Low jumps and tunnels. If your dog is healthy and no disabilities, he may still learn agility IF he likes it....once again, with low jumps and short tunnels.  That can be done at home with homemade equipment and you wouldn't even need a class. 

Once agility was out, we also turned to scent work - not akc-type scent work, but just searching for stuffed animals or food containers in the house. 

If the dog is of stable temperament and enjoys people, he may be a good candidate for some type of therapy (i.e. nursing home) work (thinking that he may be mellow and not as lively/active as a young BC and therefore a good "petting" dog for older residents.)

Love that an older dog has been rescued....how wonderful.

Canine fitness could be a possibility, just be careful and follow a good program. The dogs learn new behaviors to be able to do the different exercises, and you get the benefit of building their strength up. But if not following a good program you can hurt the dog.
Therapy dog work is a great suggestion, I started doing reading with kids with my 13 year old GSDx she loved it.

just learning tricks is great for the their minds.