BC Boards

Overweight 11yo Female BC

Hi everyone

Our beautiful 11yo girl had two separate hip operations 6 months ago with the last being a femoral excision following a hip dislocation to her right hip.  She is currently 26kgs which is way too heavy.  Since her hip operations she refuses to do anything other than walk and lately she is having so much trouble getting up from lying down.  It is absolutely breaking my heart considering she used to to be very active.  I get that she is. 11 but I don’t know how to help her lose weight if she can’t or won’t exercise very much.  We have her on the lowest fat content dry food (Orijen Senior) with a little Kangaroo Mince as a topper which is also very low in fat.  I don’t know what to do.  If she was to shed those extra kilos perhaps it will be easier for her to get up.  She does have arthritis also and is getting a daily supplement of 4cyte gel which is supposed to help with arthritic inflammation. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Same questions as Journey. How much are you feeding her per day? What is her goal weight?  Be aware that most of the time, the recommended feeding amounts on the bag are too much. (The company wants to push you to buy more food.) 

Glad to hear you are giving her a joint supplement.

Consider buying her a harness that you can use to help lift her up and maybe support her rear end while walking in order to give her more exercise.

I would ask the same questions. And also recommend that you consider a harness that will help to lift her up so she doesn't have to struggle to get up to walk. Once you can get her walking more, it will get easier for her to walk.

Also, if she has any kind of toy that she especially likes, try enticing her with the toy to go for a walk. that worked for my senior dog when she grew less enthusiastic about walks. She loved to tug, so I would tug with her a little bit, then tell her she needed to walk a while before getting to tug again, and I'd get her down the road and back that way.  Even if it isn't a toy she wants to play with, if it's a toy she likes and wants to have, it might work.

If not a toy, then a really good treat, like tiny pieces of cooked chicken breast that you could give her as she walks along. Just count it in with her food intake for the day so it doesn't add to it.

• 2 weeks later...

No ideas about exercise but I've got a supplement that I personally use that has made a HUGE difference. I have severe arthritis in my right foot from some long ago injuries. Somehow I discovered Glucosamine & MSM and it's really helped me. I've got a home with a tile floor and was limping around until I somehow found this stuff. The brand I use is NOW. Check with your veterinarian before starting w/your girl.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

Ruth