BC Boards

Suggestions for toys/tools for dog's self entertainment

Do people have suggestions on toys or tools they find their dogs love to keep themselves entertained? Some days I can't entertain the dog in the morning, but I work from home and it causes her to be very barky all day, which is brutal. Have people found things the dog can do to keep themselves worked out, when they want it? I have the usual feeding things (Kong, snuffle mat) but don't know if there are other options.

Have people tried giving their dog an automatic ball launcher? I could possible throw that out there for 30 minutes if I don't have time (though I doubt she'd care as she's usually attached to my hip). 

The thing that keeps a dog occupied for a while is the thing the dog loves most. And of course this is different for each dog. Some love chews they can eat, some love chews that they can't eat but only chew on, some like stuffies....you will have to find out. But it is the rare dog who will occupy themselves for a half hour playing by himself with a toy. I would try different things, just to see what he likes. But I would also work on training the dog to a Calm Settle so that he doesn't bother you while you are working. The dog needs to learn that, anyway.

What D'Elle said, train your dog to settle. On your own breaks, work on teaching her a new trick, give her a nice doggy massage, etc. If you can find one, hire a reliable dog walker.  I broke my foot last June and the dog walker saved everybody's sanity.  I would steer clear of a ball launcher, she might a) become obsessed with it, b) hurt herself when you're not there to see it. 

Can't remember exactly when my dogs have settled into wanting/needing less stuff to do, but it's definitely not before they were around 5 yrs old.                                 

An important thing about Border collies ~ they are bred to be part of a team. Without sheep or cattle to work the human is the only team mate they have. 

Hope this is helpful ~ Ruth and Gibbs

ETA ~ just read your post about playing fetch with her that leads to her ignoring  you. This is a very big reason NOT to use a ball launcher. It seems to me that she is a candidate for obsessive behavior with ball chasing.

Edited by urge to herd
add more info

I agree stay away from the ball launcher, I have a ball obsessed border collie and it would fry his brain. Repetive activity of any type is usually a bad idea for border collies. 

Teaching a settle and quiet behavior is the most important thing, my dogs are lucky they come to work with me, some days they get lots of breaks and others they just hang out, I might occasionally get a nose jammed in my ribs, or fall over one, but they have learned that as long as we are together something might happen.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, alligande said:

I agree stay away from the ball launcher, I have a ball obsessed border collie and it would fry his brain. Repetive activity of any type is usually a bad idea for border collies. 

Just another vote on this, to agree with the above. I had a fetch-obsessed border collie and it worked for us, but only because I was at all times in complete control of what, when, where, for how long, and all other aspects to the play. He got what he loved daily, we both loved it, and it was never a problem. I was able to use it as a reward for extra hard things he did for me. 

But oh my gosh if I had given him an automatic thrower....it would have been a catastrophe. I wouldn't have been able to get him away from that, or interested in doing all the other things we did together,  for anything in the world. I basically would have lost my dog.

21 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Just another vote on this, to agree with the above. I had a fetch-obsessed border collie and it worked for us, but only because I was at all times in complete control of what, when, where, for how long, and all other aspects to the play. He got what he loved daily, we both loved it, and it was never a problem. I was able to use it as a reward for extra hard things he did for me. 

But oh my gosh if I had given him an automatic thrower....it would have been a catastrophe. I wouldn't have been able to get him away from that, or interested in doing all the other things we did together,  for anything in the world. I basically would have lost my dog.

We let ours play with balls as well, he gets to play his favourite game but on limited access. When we have had him the UK, he is a master at attempting to steal others balls, and we would always be asked why don’t you have one, why not throw him a ball, hard to explain in a quick sentence that he is more relaxed, happy dog having a sniff and explore walk. 

My boy has A BALL - a baseball we found abandoned at the diamond where he goes every morning for a run.  He will only chase this one ball.  "This is my ball.  There are many balls like it in the world but this is mine..."

We have found other baseballs at the diamonds but he does not care for them, is not interested at all.  So his ball playing is strictly limited to the mornings to this one ball, and we never have to worry about him trying to steal balls etc.

The specificity of MY ball made me chuckle. Jester didn't care what you threw, as long as something got thrown. We were in the woods one time and he couldn't bring me a stick because sticks were outlawed due to hazards they pose, so he went off looking for something and came back with a leaf, which he sort of spit out at my feet and then backed up in anticipation.

I know people have criticized fetching, saying it breeds obsession and is "mindless". But obsession can very easily be managed (the dog never gets anything thrown unless he is asked to bring the throwing toy, so he doesn't bug people about it.....the leaf episode was a different sort of thing and, obviously, did not get thrown).

And as for being "mindless", it's no more mindless than many sports are, both dog sports and people sports, and if people enjoy sports or dogs enjoy fetching then it's a life enrichment. Not to mention a great way to entertain the dog and get him a little exercise if I could not for some reason go out for a hike.

I had 3 border collies at once, and we'd go off to play fetch in a lovely field not far from my home. I think I said each dog's name as I threw a ball and the dog visually tracked that ball, went and found it and brought it pack to drop at my feet. Had a 20 min or so session in the a.m. and another one in the p.m. It was a lot of fun for everyone, I made some human friends and Buzz's charm made him many human friends.

I think I used some bright pink rubber balls, about the size of tennis balls but with no fuzz to chew, and very easy to locate in the grass.

Current resident border collie was trained to work sheep, didn't seem to take any interest in that and came to live with me. He's not that interested in balls either. He'll be 14 in October and he looks forward to his walks and some light weight trick training here and there, but mostly he sleeps a lot. And he's made some friends here and there in the neighborhood.

R&G