BC Boards

New commands

So today at class, we were learning commands for bringing the dog around back of us.  The instructor uses the command "come bye" for having the dog come around back of us from the right (going clockwise) and "switch" for coming around back of us from the left (counter clockwise.)

Mine have not learned this particular exercise until now.  However, when they were puppies, they did learn the left and right finish in obedience.  My right finish around the back command was "Round" and my left (short) finish command was "swing".    I thought it would be easy to transition those commands to this agility exercise.  However, "switch" sounded too much like "swing" and I was getting a short finish.  So then I thought that might be too confusing to the dog to use obedience commands, and that I should come up with different words.

Does anyone else teach this kind of exercise and if so, what words do you use?

p.s.  This is a totally different exercise than teaching the dog going forward to go right or left.  Both of my dogs have learned "left" and "right" commands. 

Just curious - in what context will these commands be used? That is, how do you use them in a sequence? I am trying to visualize why/how they are used since I do not use such commands -- not to say that they aren't valid, just not what I am familiar with.

Having said that, choose whatever word will make sense to you so it is easy to remember AND one that doesn't sound too much like another command (as you have already discovered) or their name. (I was going to name a puppy Cuff, and it was suggested to me that If I did, the dog could be confused when herding and I asked for a 'Come By' because the beginning of the words sounded so similar.

Well, this is all new to me, too, so here's what I am gathering from it:  if the dog is on course and might take an off-course obstacle, you might want the dog to come around back of you to be in line for the correct obstacle.  Now I know the instructor is taking an on-line Bud Houston course, so this may be where she is getting it.  I did Google him and found a glossary of his terms, and come-by was not in it.  However, "switch", "back", and "turn" was in it. 

Me, I'm lucky to get my dog to where we are going without tripping and falling. And strategy is not my strong suit in life, let alone on a fast-paced obstacle course.  So I doubt I would ever institute that type of move.  However, I enjoy training and like to implement new things. 

I do not show in agility;  and I do not plan on trialing.  I just enjoy the training and the activity.  HOWEVER, I am old enough to know "never say never" and that someday, I might want to return to competition again.  That being said, the same goes for sheep trialing.  I have no plans to do so, however, that's not to say that some day in the future I might change my mind on that.  So here is another question:

If I trained my dog that come-by means to come to the right around back of me, would that not be confusing to the dog if when training on sheep you ask a come-by as he is running out away from you toward the sheep?  And if so, in that case, I would want to change that command to something totally unrelated to herding??

Thank you for your input.  I am always happiest when learning something.  

It’s not an exercise I have ever done in agility, but I use commands that make sense to me not ones that instructors use. I would not use “come by” as my dogs are occasional recreational sheep dogs and would not want any confusion. I do have 2 commands that sound very similar and only realized when my dog took an of course in training and that is tunnel and turn (which is a rear cross wing wrap, I don’t use left and right with jumps) luckily it’s extremely rare that the obstacles would cause confusion 

Not really a comment on commands (I prefer "cues") - but I can't think of a really good reason to EVER have a dog go behind me in agility. There's that split second when the dog is out of sight and therefore on his own. I have seen people use it, more as a hand motion than verbal; but just not my style.  

I guess if you want to teach it/learn it just because....I have a friend who uses "behind," which for them just means walk behind me (very handy!).  I also prefer one syllable words; as you realize, sometimes the dog may only hear the first letter.  You could use "refrigerator" as long as the dog has learned what you mean!  Sorry this isn't much help for a new cue.

diane

Actually, everything has been helpful.  When Alligande made the comment that she would use commands that make sense to her, that led me to Thesaurus the words "behind" and "back."  The words that made sense to me and that I thought I could use were flip, reverse, rear, move turn, and pass.  That at least gave me options.  Then when Diane said her friend uses the word "behind",  I thought that it was actually perfect (and it was the origin word I had looked up, but never thought to use!)  I also don't see me using this when running my dogs on a course at class.  But when I take someone's class, I always respect the instructor and do what is asked at class, even if I know I will not use it otherwise.  I am going to use "behind", because I think I will find that useful just in everyday life.

I don't do agility, although I have done some in the past, but I do participate in Musical Canine Freestyle and perform in public with that. Among my group of Freestylers, we all use different cue words as suits us, although some of them are standard for a certain move, or are obedience terms,  and most of us use them.

I have found that the most important thing is that I easily remember the cue word, and that it not sound at all like anything else. Even though I never intended to train my dogs on sheep, I wouldn't ever use a cue that is traditionally used for that, like "come bye". I say "curtsey" instead of "bow", which sounds like "down", even though my down cue is always "lie down". I sometimes will make  up a word for a move. It can be anything, a random sound, just as long as it makes enough sense to me that I will remember it from the start, without fail. Sometimes I will take a string of words that would describe the move I want, and shorten them into one two-syllable word and use that.

Personally, I won't use a cue word that someone tells me to use in a class or a workshop unless it is the one I already use, or is not going to conflict with one I already use. I want to respect the teacher, but not to the degree that I confuse my dog, or use something that I know will be hard to remember or that I simply don't like. I think cue words are sometimes very personal and have to fit you, your dog, and what you are doing, as well as fit in with other sports or activities your dog does.