BC Boards

Kelpies

terrecar

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to this thread. I would love to experience a working-bred Kelpie, but I wouldn't know how to find one here in the States. I know someone with a couple of them, but they are very shy and anxious, so I am thinking that there may be a split of working vs. pet similar to the BC breed.

6 hours ago, gcv-border said:

Coming back to this thread. I would love to experience a working-bred Kelpie, but I wouldn't know how to find one here in the States. I know someone with a couple of them, but they are very shy and anxious, so I am thinking that there may be a split of working vs. pet similar to the BC breed.

I saw a couple of Kelpies a few days ago, but I didn’t get to see them work. I suspect they were working bred, but I couldn’t swear to it. The trainer has HTCD’s, one of which he brought out so I could watch him work cattle. The Kelpies may just be there for training, probably on sheep. This is in Maryland.

ETA: The dog I watched working cattle is all the way on the right in the third photo. Other than the white, his coloring is similar to a red Kelpie, but his structure is different and he is a HTCD. https://www.hangintreecowdog.net/2021-futurity