BC Boards

Two siblings....rough play does not cease

Hey there,

With siblings (two different owners), is rough play normal at 6+ months old?

As soon as we let them off the leash in the backyard - they charge at each other, clash bodies/heads and basically non stop play fight, chase and tackles.

I read this is normal in pups but supposed to wear off around 5months, problem is it is just so full on. There's bound to be an injury because they're young dogs but go 100%.

Are there any methods to teach them that it's too rough or when to stop play?

They both go to doggy school but it's just with each other this rough play is constant. Inside, outside, night, day, dawn etc..

What are the genders of the dogs?

First, in this instance, I would never allow the roughhousing inside the house. If you must, keep them on leash inside the house (and separated far enough apart) so they do not engage in the 'bad' behavior.

I would also start to try and teach them that they don't HAVE to play so hard every time they see each other. It sort of sounds like it has become a habit. Outside, I would also keep each one on a leash and walk them side by side, but far enough apart that they can not physically engage, even when at the end of the leash. They probably won't understand at first and will want to play, but they should catch on. You can also try distracting each one with a toy or treats while on your walks. ( I am assuming that the other owner will be involved.) Again, just trying to break the habit.

Agree with the above. I wouldn't let that much hard play-fighting go on, and most certainly not in the house.  Keeping them on leash together and not allowing the rough play, while encouraging play with toys is a good idea. They probably don't know there's any other way to play and are in a rut with each other. Even if they are enjoying it the possibility for unintended injury would be too high for me.

Do they live in the same house? Is what you have litter mates living together? If that's the case, complete separation for a few months would be advantageous, to a degree. And what breeder would sell litter mates together is a whole other topic..

On 2/28/2021 at 2:05 PM, gcv-border said:

First, in this instance, I would never allow the roughhousing inside the house. If you must, keep them on leash inside the house (and separated far enough apart) so they do not engage in the 'bad' behavior.

I would also start to try and teach them that they don't HAVE to play so hard every time they see each other. It sort of sounds like it has become a habit. Outside, I would also keep each one on a leash and walk them side by side, but far enough apart that they can not physically engage, even when at the end of the leash. They probably won't understand at first and will want to play, but they should catch on. You can also try distracting each one with a toy or treats while on your walks. ( I am assuming that the other owner will be involved.) Again, just trying to break the habit.

Male and Female

Thanks and will give this a go.

On 3/1/2021 at 3:30 PM, D'Elle said:

Agree with the above. I wouldn't let that much hard play-fighting go on, and most certainly not in the house.  Keeping them on leash together and not allowing the rough play, while encouraging play with toys is a good idea. They probably don't know there's any other way to play and are in a rut with each other. Even if they are enjoying it the possibility for unintended injury would be too high for me.

Thanks D'Elle as always

On 3/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, Journey said:

Do they live in the same house? Is what you have litter mates living together? If that's the case, complete separation for a few months would be advantageous, to a degree. And what breeder would sell litter mates together is a whole other topic..

Yes, but two seperate owners - we were aware of the issues that siblings can cause but they do everything separately (besides rough) play.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:09 AM, AussieBC said:

They both go to doggy school but it's just with each other this rough play is constant. Inside, outside, night, day, dawn etc..

13 hours ago, AussieBC said:

Yes, but two seperate owners - we were aware of the issues that siblings can cause but they do everything separately (besides rough) play.

These two statements contradict each other. 

If it's *inside, outside, night, day, dawn* then they are together way too much. Littermate syndrome...they don't care and can't tell the difference in 2 separate owners..they, the pups, live together. 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, gcv-border said:

Hi

Gonna put my two cents in on this one since I do have litter mates that have been raised together.  I am in total agreement of what gcv-border has said above.  Mine are boy and girl and yes, in the beginning, there was some rough play.  We made sure that we monitored it and limited it. When it got too rough, I stopped it by intervening, leashing, and leading them away from it.   We also spent time separately with the puppies (like in the evening, I had one in one part of the house and DH had the other.)  We also leashed them while in the family room watching TV and made sure they stayed with us and under control.

Mine went to "doggy class" and still go to classes.  However, I made two separate trips on separate nights to class.  Yes, it would have been much easier to take both to the same class (like me take one and hubby take the other -- or even taking both and crating one while working the other.)  Even now (they are 20 months) they are in separate agility classes on separate days.  Come summer, they will be in separate search classes on separate days.  

You just need to set the guidelines with them and then enforce it.  Litter mates are a LOT of work.  But if you do the work now, it will pay off later.  :)

On 3/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Journey said:

These two statements contradict each other. 

If it's *inside, outside, night, day, dawn* then they are together way too much. Littermate syndrome...they don't care and can't tell the difference in 2 separate owners..they, the pups, live together. 

Oh, I mean they're up for rough play 24hrs. They aren't together 24hrs and not much during the day. They also sleep in different parts of the house and still don't have free reign access to the house as they cannot be trusted yet.

Thanks @beachdogz, that post really helps