BC Boards

Gauging BC Puppies

Hi there. 

Have you had a border collie previously?  Just wondering if you have experience with the breed. 

You really cannot tell anything like that for certain about a puppy, because they can change  as they get older. If you know the parents, you can take a guess judging by how they are. If not, then a puppy is an unknown. At  10 or 12 weeks when they are usually adopted, a puppy is in one stage, but other stages will come, and may be completely different.  

You can't tell. If you see them in their home with their littermates, you see that *pack* behavior. Once you take them home, it all changes due to turning their world upside down. Your best bet it to go with the pup *you* like. You'll be feeding him or her for 15 years, pick one you like 

When I got my puppy, the breeder gave me choice of the boys, but I let her pick due to the distance and her knowing them well. Two she told me I didn’t want, she described them as fire side ornaments that would make great pets but not for sports or herding as they weren’t engaged with their litter mates or toys. When I met all of them at 10 weeks, those two had transformed into the naughty boys, climbing out the x-pen and generally being exhuburent little monsters. The transformation, the two bitches in the litter left at 8 weeks and with them gone these two started showing their true colors, and ended up being the pups they kept. 

My male pup I picked out at 9 weeks of age.  He was crazy.  He made me laugh.  14+ years later, he is still crazy and still makes me laugh!!!!  :wub:  My female I also picked out at 9 weeks of age.  She was cuddly and needy, at almost 11 she is still cuddly and needy!! :wub:  Watch the puppies for quite a while and pick the one you think you can live with.