BC Boards

starting agility Sept. 11 -- I'm getting nervous!!!

After reading all the posts about agility and having a very bored BC because we can't get him to any sheep right now and playing fetch just isn't cutting it, I have signed us up for six weeks of basic agility classes that start Sept. 11th.

Now I'm getting worried that I have bit off more than I can chew.

All the tech talk that I keep reading about has me going in circles. :eek: If I'm confused, how am I ever going to be able to teach BJ what he's to do?????

What if he's not ready for this??? What if I'm not ready something like this??? HELP... I think I'm having a panic attack :eek:

Did anyone else feel like this before you started your first class or did you know right away that this was just what you wanted to do? I never felt this way when I took BJ through obedience classes. :rolleyes:

Any input or pionters would be appreciated. :D I especially don't want to look like a big dumb dumb when I get to class. BJ and I have not got the first clue about agility, so it will definitely be a learning experience for both of us.

Thanks,

Debbie - it's all about having fun! Hopefully your trainer will be approaching things in a nice, organized way, and will lead you gently :rolleyes: through what you need to know. It is very technical at the top level - heck it's technical in the middle, where I am - but you start with the basics.

if you've done obedience training, one of the things you'll need to work on is having BJ comfortable working on your right as well as on your left. You'll have to get comfortable with that too. You may need to practise some exercises more on the right than the left, just to get the balance right. There are good exercises to have the dog understand following your lead hand change.

Another mind-set change you'll need to make is having the dog work away from you - a bit later on.

My big hope for you is that BJ is not feral like my Fergus. Fergus just loves the whole idea of agility, but doesn't understand (partly because I haven't worked hard enough to make him understand) that it's not totally freestyle. Luckily (or unluckily), I have my girl to compete with, so Fergus can keep getting away with his craziness.

I've just finished a term being an assistant in a beginner's agility class, and it was such fun watching the dogs and handlers come on.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - just take your time, and be aware that dogs and handlers progres at different paces - like obedience. But it's much more fun (IMHO).

Okay Deb - take a deep breath and relax.....truly??.... You will be getting most of the training and hopefully your trainer is a good one and your dog will just follow your lead - these dogs are put on this earth to please us and as long as they are having fun - that is exactly what yours will do for you - - Tess absolutely LOVES agility class - granted she is one of those 'highly jacked-up dogs' and my trainer always says....THAT is the dog you want to trial with - - as I am rolling my eyes!!!

I think one of the main things in agility for my trainer is......... never make any mistake they make a bad thing - - absolutely NO AH-AH's to your dog - never make them think they have done wrong - just do it again in a way that they will be successful - - Tess is very food motivated so this isn't hard - she will do just about anything for pieces of chicken breast or my trainer's elk roast!! LOL!!

Tess has been to 2 trials so far and has earned her novice standard title already - her wall of fame here in the house contains 3-First Place ribbons - 1 Second Place and 1 Third Place - - I knew she would do well - - and I am sooooo proud of her - - if she ever does make mistakes it is usually me and not her - - so that is why I started this post out with hopefully YOU are the good student!!

Relax - enjoy the bond you will be building with your dog - and #1 HAVE FUN!!!

Maggie, Tess and Roz

Don't worry if you don't know all the lingo yet!

Sometimes, yes, we say some pretty complicated things about agility here but it won't be to long before you are the one with the answers!

When I started Agility - I didn't know how to teach weave poles! But that is what the trainer is for. Trust me, your dog can learn anything you teach them, and you can learn anything you instructor is teaching you!

Just have fun! You instructor will help you out with EVERYTHING you need to know, plus we are always here as well for training tips and so on. You will get the hang of everything Agility VERY soon - and just like sheep, it is addictive! :rolleyes:

Again, HAVE FUN!

Debbie,

You've taken the first step toward what could be a lifetime addiction LOL. Agility is fun, just remember that more than likely everyone will be starting from the same point as you. They will be nervous too. Basic agility is simply starting to introduce the dog and handler to the equipment, and the basic commands you want to use. There are a multitude of commands you can pick from the best idea is to KIS. You are in a great area for agility one of the top handlers and teachers in the country is down in FLA his name is Stuart Mah. As for forgetting something dont worry about it I've been doing agility for 10 years and still forget the name of a piece of equipment in the heat of the moment. The motto of agility is Run Clean, Run Fast...HAVE FUN! Beware though once you start agility there is no going back!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and I will definitely be asking questions of ya'll. :rolleyes:

I just subscibed to the Clear Run mag. It looked like a good one to get. What are your thoughts and/or opinions on that? Just the articles that I read on the "freebie" online looked very interesting and informative.

BJ is very food motivated as well, so that's going to help keep his attention. :D

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted as to our progress (good and bad I suppose :D ).

You'll pick up on the lingo and the terms. The instructor will start you at the beginning.

I've been dabbling in agility for four years and there's a lot that I still don't know, but Maddie and I still have fun with it.

Debbie-Clean Run is a good magazine, but don't be discouraged if a lot of it is "over your head". I've been training for over 2 years, and lots of it is still over mine!

Everyone already said it, but just relax and you'll have a ball! I know how you feel though, I've gotten nervous every time I switch instructors, or change classes. They'll teach you what you need to know, and the rest will come with time.

Number one rule: have fun with your dog!

Agility is fun for you and your dog. And after the dog 'gets' the obstacles, which doesn't take long for most of them, it's all then all about training YOU!

The best thing you can do to set yourself up for success is to make sure you have BJ's attention on you during class. Practicing in Petsmart or the dogpark would be great - and YES USE TREATS if you have to!!

It's the coolest thing in the world to run 5 or 6 obstacles with your dog doing them all effortlessly. Just a rush!

Deb ,Welcome to agility,

I agree with what has been said Try to relax be positive , do not rush your dog take time enjoy have fun if you get frustrated take a brake and relax, go slow you have many years with your dog.

for new dogs equipment should be very low.

I do not know if I said this but take your time donot rush your dog have fun and enjoy your dog . In time you will not belife the things you and your dog will do as a team .Bobh

Clean Run is GREAT! At first it may be a bit more information then a newbie needs (lots of stuff handling and running courses) but after your dog is getting to know the equipment and you start putting things together - it will be very helpful indeed! I know I love it. :rolleyes:

Cleanrun is an excellent magazine and they even have a Yahoo group that you might want to join for the info put out there. Never be afraid to ask a question. The only foolish or stupid question is the one that remains unasked. Without new handlers coming into the sport it will die a quick death. I would suggest that you get on the cleanrun website and see if there are any upcoming trials in your area. Go there with out dog at first watch, ask questions, we competitors love to talk about the sport! Sit along the sidelines and strike up a conversation with a handler you've watched run a few runs ago. As competitors we can be very focused just before or just after a run so I would wait until they have had a chance to "come down" cool out and put their dog away. As I said this is a very addictive sport and my whole family is involved. My 11yr old daughter has been competing since age 7, my son did Jr. handler stuff and now works the trial with my husband. In the meantime have a great time with your partner!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about not understanding the lingo and everything, that's why you're taking classes. If you're in a basic agility class I bet there'll be plently of people in the same boat and when i started agility i had no idea what to expect but it wasn't bad. My first lesson she learned how to go over a jump and through a tunnel and that was it

Well we had our first class on Mon. the 11th. It turned out just fine. I was worried for nothing. BJ was goofy at first with the new dogs to meet and a new place to inspect, but as soon as we started class and he realized that I had become a treat dispenser he started paying attention.

He walked acrossed an extension ladder that was on the ground; through a narrow space to a target with a treat on it; he had to walk next to me (on a loose leash) in a circle -- first to the left, then we did it to the right. I think the hardest thing for me is having to do everything on both the left and right sides. Left side, no problem, right side, little struggle there. :rolleyes:

The instructors taught us a couple of "games" to play with the dogs to help keep their attention. Doggie push ups, The name game and Stuff the Dog.

It was a lot of fun even and I had one tired out pup that night and even the next day. :D

Sounds like you and BJ had a great first class - foundation work is so important and it seems your trainer is starting you and him out on the right foot!

I play a lot of "games" with Tess too as she tends to get soooo involved in other dog's runs while we are waiting our turn - - is funny she will key in on the fast dogs - - and not so much the slow ones ......her favorite game at the moment is "ping-pong" - - you hold treats ( at least 5-6 treats)in both closed hands out in front of you - - when they go to one - open it and let them have just one....then immediately close it - - don't reopen that hand no matter how much they slobber and dig at it - - wait for them to go to the other hand - - open - one treat - close - - then they go back to the first hand - then back and forth- this teaches them to leave a treat to get a treat - - she LOVES it and it keeps her occupied and focused - - Roz my pup picked this game up surprisingly fast at about 3 months old - -

Would love to hear a description of the games you mentioned! Can never have enough focus games for these kids!

When you mentioned how tired he was it reminded me of a pic I had taken of Tess crashed out on her daddy after agility class - - he used to ask me "Mannnnn what did you do to her???"

A tired dawg is a GOOD dawg!

DSCN0851.jpg

Happy to hear you had a good time!

Maggie, Tess and Roz

Hey Debbie - thanks for posting about your first class. Sounds like you guys had a great time - and it does sound as though your trainer is on the ball, and starting you out right on some very good foundations.

Love the tired dog pic, Rainierlass. In between runs at an agility trial, Kirra loves to nap on her nice soft crate mat in her crate.