BC Boards

Agility problems...

Yes, body language can really help in a fix (i.e. no time to train, have a trial coming up quickly), but it usually requires you to be ahead of the dog (slowing up and facing in can be very effective). However, I'd rather teach dogs to not rely on the handler's body position or pace if possible... it's a temporary crutch.

You'll notice in that first pic of Wick, she's running down the descent ramp... I'm waaaay behind her... ain't no body language gonna help there. LOL

Kat,

Do you have pictures of what you mean or a video?

I think that these lessons and comparisons can be shared most effectively with pictures.

The way Wick is performing in that pic is my picture of close to ideal. While you are training and you HAVE to be there to teach your dog, use your body language to get the point across. Then reward for the performance you want. You should eventually be able to be out of sight (or ahead of the dog even!) and have the dog perform the contacts the same way but this can take months and months and months.

Remember that part of the fun is seeing how the handler/dog relationship deepens & matures with time and training so in short it isn't just the destination that you should enjoy but make a point of enjoying the journey- and don't continue on with any method of training that frustrates your dog to the point that he quits on you. There is ALWAYS another way to get the point across to the dog and a good trainer will exhaust themselves trying to get it right.

My young dog is 13mths old he has just started the dog walk. I rushed my 1st dog and had a weak foundation so i had to retrain.

My yung dog . westarted with tippy bords follow the leader. touching and running acroos bords on the ground. fron and rear crosses on the flat left and right directionals. downs stays sits restrained recalls impulse control. attention games targetting to hand and lids sends get outs.

prior to 7mths we used jump stantions no bars Poll entrencesbut no weaving 10 mths old we taught jumping Linda M, meathod.

All 2o2swhere taught on stairs and plank leaning on table. Flat Afram used for speed training only.

Now my boy is 13mths starte on dog walk Afram and full ht, see saw and 20 inch jumps . I increased ht of contact obs. at the dog comfort level.

TAKE YOUR TIME BUILD A SOLID FOUNDATION BE CONSISTANT HAVE FUN AND DO NOT BLAM YOUR DOG FOR MISTAKES.

bobh

Sorry Annetee for the delay. I was looking through my photos online and I can't find any but I will have a look through my photos on my photoalbums over the weekend and see. Basically what I mean is just a crouch at the end of the contact with the dog looking straight ahead, instead of having its eyes on the handler. I'll have a look see if I have any printed photos :rolleyes:

I was attacked by a dog walk once. To save time I will sometimes duck under the dogwalk to be at the other side and on this particular occasion I cracked my head off the top of it. What annoyed me more was that the judge docked me 5 for touching the equipment!

Worst thing I've ever done on an agility course was dislocate my knee. It was the final of the Allied Irish Bank agility comp and there was a bit of a divot in the grass, so my foot got stuck and i stumbled and my foot went one way and my knee the other. Meg was only 3 jumps from home and was making to come back and see me and I got back up and sent her on and told her go go go! and she made it across the finish line. I took a little while longer to make it but we actually won the competition in a cracking time of 28 secs even with my fall and I wouldn't go to hospital until after the presentation

You guys can duck under the dogwalk??? How interesting! That's a no-no over here, as is stepping on the chute, running through the weaves, jumping over end of DW, or any other way of your body passing over/under/through the equipment. And if the handler knocks a jump bar down, that's faulted as well.

-Laura

Originally posted by rtphokie:

You guys can duck under the dogwalk??? How interesting!

Yeah, no ducking under the DW! My goodness, I get in enough trouble just running in a straight line.

As Laura mentioned, if the handler knocks a jump, it's a fault. So I've got a nice run going, never really did make up my mind whether to layer the last sequence, and I look down and see I'm about to run into a decoy jump. Well, using my cat-like grace, I dodge around it, but trip, falling flat on my face and breaking my nose. Got up and finished, Q'ed the course, but the 6 or so seconds it took me to break my nose cost us 1st.

The Face Plant

For some reason, my friends get a kick watching this video. Over and over again. And then calling and saying "I can't believe how high your head bounced".

I was attacked by a dog walk once. To save time I will sometimes duck under the dogwalk to be at the other side and on this particular occasion I cracked my head off the top of it. What annoyed me more was that the judge docked me 5 for touching the equipment!

The way I see it, is that you got in the dogwalk's personal space, and that's what you got smacked on the head, so you need to be a little more sensitive to space issues this particular piece of equipment may have. I hope you apologized to it. :rolleyes: