BC Boards

what to feed a 6 week old tiny puppy

I have just received a 6 week old foster puppy, she is the youngest and smallest puppy I have had in my house and I was looking for advice on what to feed her. This is a very last minute thing, and as usual my husband and I have sucker printed on us, so all advice is welcome on how to make this very young little girl comfortable. She left her mother and littermates 2 days ago.

I have no idea what she was eating, how much do you think I should be feeding her Julie?

Farmers here are mostly very traditional, I don't think this was a planned liter, and as soon as the puppies were 6 weeks they wanted them gone so mama could get back to work. How I ended up with her is a convoluted story, I am just hoping she finds a home quickly I might fall in love and I have plans for my next dog....

and I have plans for my next dog....

Appropriately enough, it was a Scotsman who said "the best laid plans..." :D

​(of course, we'll ignore the ending there since that isn't what happens with our dogs)

​(of course, we'll ignore the ending there since that isn't what happens with our dogs)

I hope this young lady already has a home lined up and we are just a way station .... as that quote has been going through my head ever since I saw her picture.

Actually, he wrote "schemes" instead of "plans" . . . but you got the gist. :D (“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”)

I agree, just feed her a decent food and she'll be fine. Since I don't feed kibble I can't comment on amounts (other than at this age she should be eating 4 times a day). But you can always adjust based on her body condition.

Whatever happens, I'm sure you won't gang aft a-gley. ;)

Oh, can we get a picture, please?

She looks very much at the developmental stage as Kylie (maybe a touch older) when we found her. Which was estimated at our vets to be somewhere between 4.5 and 5 weeks old. Dark blue eyes, wobbly walk, funny head shape and ears, and with a few molars still not through her gums.

She is ADORABLE. Thank you for taking care of her.

Oh, wow, she IS a tiny baby! I'd say maybe 5 weeks. Maybe. Will you be working with the new owner to assure that she gets the care she needs? The hardest thing I think will be how *often* babies this young need feeding. Hope those folks don't mind going without sleep for a few weeks. ;)

~ Gloria

The new owners mother is a dog trainer, foster, and all-round experienced dog person, as well as the owner of my agility club so there will be plenty of support.

She looks very much at the developmental stage as Kylie (maybe a touch older) when we found her. Which was estimated at our vets to be somewhere between 4.5 and 5 weeks old. Dark blue eyes, wobbly walk, funny head shape and ears, and with a few molars still not through her gums.

She is ADORABLE. Thank you for taking care of her.

I did not check her teeth out, but she had a really wobbly walk, her legs look to short for her body, even for a small border collie she seemed tiny but I don't have a lot of puppy experience.

If they wanted those puppies gone so mama could go back to work quickly, then I reckon they were capable of lying about their age.

I did not check her teeth out, but she had a really wobbly walk, her legs look to short for her body, even for a small border collie she seemed tiny but I don't have a lot of puppy experience.

If they wanted those puppies gone so mama could go back to work quickly, then I reckon they were capable of lying about their age.

Sounds about right.

K3.jpg

Kylie-1.jpg

K2-1.jpg

She'll be fine, I think. Kylie got fed frequently, peed every 10 minutes, and slept a lot for a few weeks, but she did okay with just basic gentle, consistent, care, and certainly didn't have some of the issues I half-expected from early separation from a litter, or that people warn about. With a dog trainer that baby should be in even better hands.

(Kylie also changed a TON - she's the middle dog in my signature!)

Sounds about right.

K3.jpg

She looks just like, stubby little legs, eyes don't focus yet. She is a brave and tenacious little thing, we were playing tug together, and she kept coming back with the toy, and when I did not want her to go back in the house till she peed, she was climbing all over me and did not want to be put off. I think she is going to do fine

When I had to take care of pups that small, I moistened their food with goats milk and put it through a blender. As they got older, I would start giving it less soft and less wet. Now, I've come full circle and I feed wet food with plenty of water or goats milk to my adults. Go figure.