BC Boards

The diverse look of the border collies

Border collie diversity: Pricked ears, tipped ears, helicopter ears, floppy ears. Black and whites, red and white, piebald, tri's, and merles. Smooth and rough coated. Chocolate eyes, amber eyes, yellow eyes, blue eyes, and even odd eye. 21.5" border collies - 17.88" border collies. :) 5 of the 6 border collies have done herding and agility. All are from small farms or working breeder.

1484734_943589602342054_1363866222619231

So what is your pack like? In all honesty only 3 of these border collies are mine. The other ones we are babysitting/running for my sister since her eldest border collie is recovering from 2 surgeries.

That's a great looking pack! Love the variety. Flying solo with Brick. Looking forward to both of us learning enough and life being settled enough to add another. He's very sociable and I think it would be good down the road...way down the road :) His best mate is a boxer/pit mix. 3 yrs age difference.

OT2_zps2606b267.jpg

I can't help with BC diversity, but I can sure show you dog pack diversity. Those are all mine - and we're due an updated one now that Molly's not an awkward puppy. And maybe one where Kylie and Jack are less uncomfortable.

I can't remember if I've shared this one before or not - if I have, bear with me, life has been crazy.

From left to right: Spain, smooth tri (though she looks B/W); Duncan, rough b/w; Ross, smooth tri. All waiting for the magic "release" word so that they can tear off down the trail like bats out of hell.

14466801293_aa219b985e_c.jpg

Mine are almost all smooth coated and prick eared, and remarkably non diverse now that two of my red dogs have passed away. The only exception now is Phoebe, who is rough and often has one airplane ear. Kat is rough, a red tri, and has one up and one tipped, but she's too infirm to take long walks over rough ground anymore so isn't in the group photo.

If you look at my sig line photo, which is out of date, you can see the diversity I used to have!

J.

post-918-0-22811000-1427980315_thumb.jpgpost-918-0-92289400-1427980430_thumb.jpgpost-918-0-93126100-1427980668_thumb.jpg

Mine are both medium coats, so short haired for a rough coat. They both have helicopter ears that they can prick up an ear if they want to. They are both in the 21" range and both weigh between 40 and 45 lbs, most often 42 lbs. They both do stockwork and both do agility. That's where the similarities end. One is red and white, the other tri. One is gung ho, the other laid back. One tries everything before you can even tell him you want him to try one thing, the other waits to be coaxed. One is a picky eater, the other would make a meal of cardboard happily. One has food allergies, intestinal issues, etc., the other has never had anything wrong with him. One has reactivity issues, the other has no psychological issues at all...that we have found so far.

Stella, you need a curly coat. Then you would have everything.

Eww. No thanks on curly coats! I think we still need a split face and we are also missing green eyes. Also if you want to be technical we are missing dilutes.

Intelligence wise we are all over the board from dogs who actively try to communicate with you to a dog who is still surprised there is a ceiling in the house he has lived in for the last 5 year?!

Lol my sister pack is what makes my pack diverse. My kids are black/white, tris, rough coat and smooth. Ears: tipped and pricked. Eyes: amber, chocolate, blue/odd eye. But the size variable is from my pack since I have the smallest 17.88"(Cressa) and the biggest 21.5"(Valek). :)

Love hearing how diverse others packs are.

The only 2 dogs related in our joint pack is the Merle and the piebald and even that they are 2nd or 3rd cousins... eta: the Merle's dad I think was a litter mate to the piebald grandparent or great grandparent. So how ever that is related.

I don't have much diversity currently. Except for coat length and ear set. My first two were pretty opposite though. Except they both had split faces on the same side.

Kolt's littermates are a fairly diverse group. Everything from pretty smooth to quite rough coated, flop ears to prick ears, mostly white to mostly black and B&W and tri.

well Happy is my only BC now but when I had 2, they were pretty opposite lol

park15.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

MH4.jpg

Happy is 21" tall, built like a sighthound, mostly black, folded ears,and rough coated

Misty was 18" tall, built relatively blocky, white factored, huge perked ears, smooth coated

I was regularly baffled when they were consistently referred to as "twins" and even dog people genuinely could not tell them apart... I would go to events with Misty and people would compliment me on how far she had come with her dog aggression issues...Misty never had any aggression issues... lol

The other day I saw a border collie that had a white tail. All white. Very odd looking. Otherwise the dog looked like a typical white factored dog.

My Rose has a completely white tail. Well, the rest of her is primarily white so no suprise there. :rolleyes: It's sad that anyone would purposefully produce primarily white Border collies but I guess it takes all kinds. So now that I've given my disclaimer (don't breed this at home) I can show off photos of the pups. Strangely enough they look nothing alike, most people ask me which breed they are and when I say BC they ask, which one?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/crawforddogs/sets/72157633249654264/

My Rose has a completely white tail. Well, the rest of her is primarily white so no suprise there.

I guess I should have qualified my original statement saying I'd never see a white tail to say that I'd never seen one on a normally colored dog. LOL Of course I've seen white tails on white dogs. :P

But it really was odd looking coming off a black butt and between black thighs. It looked like she was taking the white tail tip thing to its most extreme. ;)

Ha ha the more dogs the merrier but tbh it wouldn't work out. The dogs are used to being posed.

The bitches took a lot of work. Cress is 100% a border collie bitch and doesn't appreciate another girl on her turf. She will tolerate it but generally I keep them separate. Cressa has gotten better about being so snippy toward the other girl. Idk if it is because Cressa has been attacked by 3 different border collie girls and just is proactive or if it is just a bitch thing.

The red and white boy 2nd from the left is a douche and will bully Valek(black and white) and Hank (the tri smooth). I have to keep the red and white, and the tri separate 99% of the time. They are too much alike, I think, to get along.

Eta: my dogs also prefer snuggles one on one. They don't usually do a puppy pile when you are on the couch.