BC Boards

When should I get my male pup fixed?

rallers

Potential problems with an intact dog -

It may become aggressive to other dogs, especially intact ones.

It may become the target of aggression from other intact dogs and develop fear aggression.

It may become obsessed with bitches in season.

Or none of those things may happen, but if they do the older a dog is when castrated the longer it will have had to learn unwanted behaviours and the less likely that castration will resolve them.

What is highly unlikely to happen when a dog is castrated -

Loss of drive.

Reduction in aggression towards humans.

I think there could be a great deal of truth in this, I noticed when I was in New England ( this does not apply to agility competitions) people with intact dogs would often tense and be really cautious, it was also rare to see an intact male among the dogs I used to meet out walking, now everyday we meet intact dogs on our daily off leash walks in Kent and no one even mentions it, and the dogs don't seem to respond to each other in any way differently.

Probably because they are off lead and able to display normal canine communication.

Potential problems with an intact dog -

It may become aggressive to other dogs, especially intact ones.

It may become the target of aggression from other intact dogs and develop fear aggression.

One could say these are also potential problems with neutered dogs.

I've known some neutered dogs who, though never bred prior to castration, were obsessed (and successfully tied) with females in season.

So none of those examples is exclusive to neutered dogs.

True but IME spats involving neutered dogs tend to be more of the handbags type whereas intact dogs are more likely to mean it and cause damage.

I recommended you find a different trainer or go it alone. At his age he's most likely in a fear period. And any trainer that says neutering will help with *any* aggression is clueless. Sounds like a cure all but as you said .... it can't be undone and the consequences can be devastating.

16 months is beyond the second fear period.

The AABP boils down a number of studies like this:

Some general statements and recommendations can be formed from these studies and notions.

· Neutering cannot be expected to reduce aggressive behavior in all dogs

· Neutering will not always completely eliminate aggressive behaviors

· When the neutering is carried out cannot be expected to influence the rate or magnitude of changes in behaviors

· How long the problem behavior has existed does not tend to affect the level or trend of change in behavior after neutering

· If an intact dog demonstrates aggressive behavior neutering should be considered as an adjunct to other behavior modification practices

· Early neutering is probably not helpful at preventing aggression and may pose certain medical risks.

http://www.associationofanimalbehaviorprofessionals.com/effects_of_neutering.html

While the growly dog/reactive rover/ whatever class instructor was misrepresenting the scientific body of evidence, it's still a solid position to recommend neutering in conjunction with training.

While the growly dog/reactive rover/ whatever class instructor was misrepresenting the scientific body of evidence, it's still a solid position to recommend neutering in conjunction with training.

Thanks!

I do appreciate the all the advice given to me but I thought the "And any trainer that says neutering will help with *any* aggression is clueless" comment to be a bit over the top. Sammy's fear period has gone beyond what I think I can do solo which is why I'm now actively seeking the reactive dog help.

Again, the trainer didn't say neutering will be a quick remedy to any aggression, what she did say was it would help. I only take issue with that because she makes this judgement call before evaluating my dog (that will be Saturday). Maybe I've just spoken to all the wrong dog trainers but they all recommend the same thing for all dogs.

Again, the trainer didn't say neutering will be a quick remedy to any aggression, what she did say was it would help. I only take issue with that because she makes this judgement call before evaluating my dog (that will be Saturday). Maybe I've just spoken to all the wrong dog trainers but they all recommend the same thing for all dogs.

While we all like to think that every dog is unique, we all make generalizations based on patterns that we've seen (and sometimes studies that we've read). In medicine there's a saying: "When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras". If she recommends neutering in 95% of intact male dogs that she sees with reactivity issues, it stands to reason to put that information up-front when talking to someone about taking a class, particularly with the lead time necessary to get surgery scheduled.

16 months is beyond the second fear period

Yes, it is. However, do you think there are only 2? What about the one that hits between 14 and 18 months? Not all dogs follow the rules of when a fear period is allowed :) This guy, IMO, is smack in the middle of the last fear period.