BC Boards

Getting Started In Agility Help

I want to get started in agility as soon as I can. When I was first going to start, I figured you just teach your dog to jump over, go through, and weave through things then do it running along side them. It seems I couldn't be very much further from the truth. So can anyone help me get started? There are no training places within a reasonable distance.(At least not that I've found)

Does anyone have a good training DVD? I'm going to be making all my own equipment. I actually won't be competing, but I still want to be doing things as I would have to if I were competing.

I'm doing my foundation training based on this video....

And both parts of this one.

Do you think they are good starting points? Any help would be awesome!

I would consider signing up for one of the online foundation courses from either Sylvia Trkman or Daisy Peel, my first experience with agility instruction was not the best, and I basically turned my dog off agility. When you have never played the game getting a good start is really important. My current dog I trained his foundation using Agility Right Drom the Start book, he loves agility.. But by the time I trained him I had been competing and had a much better understanding of agility and why some things were so important.

If you follow the link Pam has posted you will find that the trainer has done a lot of good trainer videos on YouTube: she is an agility instructor versus someone's practise videos.

If budget is a problem then I would get the agility right from the start book and really work your way through the Videos posted by the lady in Pam's link she has some really good ones. Get the book first as it is a really good template to work from, and will give you the structure you need to get you going along a solid path, then start watching the videos so you understand what things look like.

Riika, how old is your pup? For some reason, I'm remembering less than 15 months, but I'm not sure... If so, you want to hold off on jumping until the growth plates close sometime between 12 months and 15 months. The foundations videos are really good.

Birthday/Christmas/etc present? Hah my gifts were always in advance dog/horse related IOU presents when I was younger, lol!

I HIGHLY recommend silvia trkman puppy then foundation, then etc etc. So addicted to them already. Great foundation for any dog and it really focuses on speed and drive, as well as enthusiasm for handler/the game. Fun is #1!

Is this the book? http://www.amazon.com/Agility-Right-Start-ultimate-fastest-growing/dp/1890948411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376068395&sr=8-1&keywords=agility+right+from+the+start

rlwzgd, he is only four months-I know about the growth plates. :) Thank you anyway though!

ChantalB, I'm that way too but I don't think it'll work for this. She's worried I'll put to much money into it and then it goes on the shelf when the novelty wears off. Although with agility, I don't think that is going to happened. ^_^

One more thing. Except very rarely, when he's feeling really energetic, he does not have any interest whatsoever in toys. I find some of the stuff hard to do with food. Any help on this? Can you teach him to play with toys?

Yes, you can teach a dog to play with toys. Some take more work than others, but my guess is that your BC will be easy to teach.

Rather than go into it here, why don't you start a new topic? You should get some good suggestions.

Jovi

I'm doing my foundation training based on this video....

I've managed to open it now - it's a good one for guidance (and proper cockers too).

From your own video it seems that you won't be as restricted for training space as in this one which is good.

Is this the book? http://www.amazon.com/Agility-Right-Start-ultimate-fastest-growing/dp/1890948411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376068395&sr=8-1&keywords=agility+right+from+the+start

rlwzgd, he is only four months-I know about the growth plates. :) Thank you anyway though!

ChantalB, I'm that way too but I don't think it'll work for this. She's worried I'll put to much money into it and then it goes on the shelf when the novelty wears off. Although with agility, I don't think that is going to happened. ^_^

That's the book, it should give you a good guide to getting started along with the YouTube videos to show you what things should look like.

Have fun