BC Boards

Cute story of BC vs. Non-BC thought processes

Ok so i am not judging non-bc breeds! I love all dogs but this was just too cute so I had to share..

My 6 yr old son started digging with his shovel in the park sandbox with one of those scraper type shovels that scrapes instead of digs. And I had my BC (10 months) and my neighbor's dachshund mix (1 yr) with us. They both laid down next to him and watched him with interest. After a short time the dachshund mix started digging in the sand next to him with her paws in response. But my BC was still watching intensely... cocking his head and the wheels were obviously turning.. So i jokingly said to my son "hey i think he wants to try!" (not expecting anything of the sort of course). So my son passed him the scraper shovel. Normally he would grab a toy with his mouth and throw it around or chew on it but instead he put his paw on the shovel and splayed him paw as if trying to hold it and started slowly trying to make the shovel scrape the sand like my son was doing... my thoughts...? "only a BC..." LOL cute huh!?

Hey, don't sell yourself short. I thought it was darn cute. (Is it OK for a guy to say that C word, when making reference to another's use of the word, rather than applying it as an adjective himself? Just checking.)

A cocked head -- one ear up and the other down -- trying to figure out how to make that tool scrape like your son, and then doing it. Clever dog.

In fact, there's a little ceramic figurine of a Westy on a shelf in our home, same ear set, same posture. -- TEC

I thought it was interesting. Leave it to a Border Collie to implement "better mousetrap" testing. Certainly he already knows how to dig in the usual way. I think he was just checking to see if the kid's way was worth keeping in the tool box.

I thought it was interesting. Leave it to a Border Collie to implement "better mousetrap" testing. Certainly he already knows how to dig in the usual way. I think he was just checking to see if the kid's way was worth keeping in the tool box.

exactly! thanks guys!

Hey, don't sell yourself short. I thought it was darn cute. (Is it OK for a guy to say that C word, when making reference to another's use of the word, rather than applying it as an adjective himself? Just checking.)

dont see why not! B)

Loved this story!! I've seen mine do things like that, in fact I got stabbed by a pitchfork that Gideon was trying to figure out how to use. We decided that in the future he has to stick with tools with shorter handles.