BC Boards

New to BC Board, have BC puppy!

Sammy is my 3 month old BC pup (the pics were taken 2 weeks ago). I've had him for 3 weeks now and he's adjusted pretty well. I also have an 8 yr old heeler/terv mix and he's being a pretty good mentor for the little one. The pup has a looooong way to go before he's as well trained and behaved as the old man! They play pretty rough together, Sammy flails himself around like a rag doll. House breaking was ROUGH the first two weeks but in the third week much better progress is being made.

One question I have is how far/long should walks be at this young age? There's a large school playfield three short blocks from our house so I've been walking the dogs and having our fetch there.

post-15200-0-60570600-1373312448_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-66481200-1373312685_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-41943600-1373312750_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum !

Sammy is a cutie !

Other more knowledgeable members might have more specific answers to your walking distance question, but I have read where some said that very strenuous activity like excessive running and jumping should be limited until a certain age.

What exactly is Sammy chewing on in the photos, it looks like it is pretty durable.

Welcome!

I don't think a walk of that length would be an issue (take care with hot sidewalks/pavement, though) with gentle play at the playground - but watch your pup to see if he seems to be getting over-tired. I live in the country and so I am not sure what three "short" blocks would be. And I do say "gentle" play because hard running and chasing (you did say "fetch") is probably too much for him right now, on top of the walk to and from the play area. And limited and gentle fetch should be a ball or other toy rolled on the ground, not thrown, and just very short distances and limited throws. He's still quite a baby, even though he probably doesn't think so!

Thanks for the info Sue. I should have stated that when we "go fetch", it's the heeler that does the fetching. Sammy will run about 10 feet towards Foster when he's going to get the ball and then lay low (Border Collie style) and pounce him when he returns the ball. And you're right of course, at 3 months he's still a baby so for now its baby steps. Sammy also has a pretty long tongue. So long that half the time about and inch of the tip hangs out, even when he's not panting :P Don't know if that's common but I'm hoping his little mouth eventually grows into it!

Some lines of working dogs are known for this. My Kat often has part of her tongue hanging out of her closed mouth. I know other dogs who do the same thing. I wouldn't say that the tongue is too long for the mouth; it's just one of those quirks that some dogs have.

J.

Sammy also has a pretty long tongue. So long that half the time about and inch of the tip hangs out, even when he's not panting :P Don't know if that's common but I'm hoping his little mouth eventually grows into it!

What a cutie! I wish I had my old guy to show my two the ropes. He had Sophia trained, but when he died, she unlearned everything and learned all the bad habits of the puppy... (Your turv mix is exactly like my old guy)

sammy7_zpsa61c4cde.jpgAn update on the tongue thing: Sammy saw the vet for his 3 month check up and after examining his mouth she suspected it was because he has a slight over bite. Since the top and bottom rows don't line up exactly he lets it hang because....well he can :P She said it might change once he loses his baby teeth and his jaws finish growing but if not, well it is comical! He's a pic of it hangin' while sleeping. Please don't think he's chained up to a tree in MO :D, my patio is on the side yard that's not fenced so I have to keep him tied while we're chillin' and grillin' on the patio

the over bite is just a possible explanation, I'm the curious type and have to find reason in everything B)

The other discussion we had was neutering. I have no intentions of breeding Sammy and every vet I've ever talked to says six months. I did see some discussion here in another forum about waiting 12 to 16 months to allow growth plates to fully mature (I don't even know what that means). When I asked the vet if there was any advantage to waiting past 6 months she gave none but did give all the usual reasons to do it at six months (limit testosterine, aggression, sexual urges, etc...) She's a real doctor and I'm just a simpleton trying to do what's best for his pup so I didn't argue. But I think I'll wait until he's 12 months anyway ;)

You weren't by chance at the Ballard Seafood fest on Sunday, were you? I was there, and met a Border Collie pup about the age of yours who had that funny spot on the side of his muzzle. Don't know the pup's name- I honestly didn't ask- was too overwhelmed by the cute!

Also, my old dog, who is now nearly 16, has a tongue that hangs out. It REALLY stuck out when he was working. Now it just makes him look like a senile old man, which is pretty accurate. It only caused a problem a time or two when he'd bite his tongue while working.

You weren't by chance at the Ballard Seafood fest on Sunday, were you? I was there, and met a Border Collie pup about the age of yours who had that funny spot on the side of his muzzle. Don't know the pup's name- I honestly didn't ask- was too overwhelmed by the cute!

Hey NorthfieldNick, that wasn't us. But we were at the Wedgwood Art Festival, maybe you were there as well?

the over bite is just a possible explanation, I'm the curious type and have to find reason in everything B)

The other discussion we had was neutering. I have no intentions of breeding Sammy and every vet I've ever talked to says six months. I did see some discussion here in another forum about waiting 12 to 16 months to allow growth plates to fully mature (I don't even know what that means). When I asked the vet if there was any advantage to waiting past 6 months she gave none but did give all the usual reasons to do it at six months (limit testosterine, aggression, sexual urges, etc...) She's a real doctor and I'm just a simpleton trying to do what's best for his pup so I didn't argue. But I think I'll wait until he's 12 months anyway ;)

Many vets can have a different agenda. They want to prevent unplanned breedings - so you get the 6 month neuter rhetoric.

Rescue groups also have an agenda. Many will not adopt out dogs unless they are neutered - regardless of age (i.e. I have heard of neutering 8- & 9-week old pups and kittens.)

You have to take into account what the source of your information is when evaluating advice.

FWIW, I was going to neuter my dog at 15-16 months, but he was into the smelling and chattering teeth too much for my tolerance level, so I had him neutered at 14 months.

Jovi

(limit testosterine, aggression, sexual urges, etc...) )

I had my vets blessing to wait till my dog was 12-18 months in fact she encouraged it, we agreed I had any of the above problems she would fit me ASAP, he's almost 4 and still not neutered probably never will be. I have no intention of breeding just like my dog the way he is.

Just an update, Sammy is growing like a weed (he has a voracious appetite!). Hard to tell in the crappy phone photos but his left ear is starting to take shape, shooting up and in while the his right ear remains floppy. About what age will the pup's ears stop shaping and become perm?

sammy9_zps9c90b115.jpg333afb43-4e62-449f-91d9-92d0259937b7_zps

There is another recent topic about ears but in my experience, somewhere between 6 and 12 months should let you know what is going to happen with ears. But they can assume their final shape sooner or even later than that.

He's too cute!

Good looking pup! My little guy is 9 weeks and has his tongue tip sticking out quite a bit of the time...I don't know if it's a cute thing or if he's just a little dummy as I had a Corgi mix as a kid who had the same tongue issue and he was as dumb as a hammer. :lol: