BC Boards

Too Skinny.

I always thought Yankee was just lean like many border collies. When Yankee tore his paw pad the vet mentioned he needed to gain a few pounds and wished us luck with it (since he is an intact 9 month old male it apparently can be a challenge). So I up'd his food (Orijen all life stages) from 3.5 cups a day to four and started giving him a lunch. He has always gotten extras when I cook (scrambled eggs, any meat or raw fruit and veggies). He gets either pumpkin or yogurt in his kong with coconut oil. Also I try a d give him a can or two of food a week (wellness, earthborn or innova).

So now a few weeks later he is still scrawny and not gaining weight. He looks like I don't feed him whenever he gets wet. You can count his ribs, feel his spine and hip bones. He has plenty of energy and we are very active. He takes an agility class and a herding lesson once a week, as well as we do beach runs about 3 times a week (which is mostly him playing in the waves waiting on my slow ass, or bringing me sticks or seaweed).

I guess I am wondering if he just has a really high metabolism. He is 23 inches at the shoulder and weighs 42 pounds, eats like a horse and would probably eat until he exploded. Is there anything else I could be doing to get him to gain weight?

Thanks in advance,

Amber

If he's bright, active, and alert, I wouldn't worry about it. At his age, he could simply be putting the calories to growth (bones, etc.) and not to weight gain.

If you really want to put some weight on him, try adding cooked oatmeal to his diet. For some reason it works. (Also, you might find that he gains weight on a different food; some individuals just don't do well on particular foods, no matter how good they are, and a switch to another brand can make all the difference.)

J.

Adding salmon oil will help. Also look up a recipe for Satin balls. That has always helped put weight on. Sometimes boys that are 9 months- 2 years are just skinny. Mine are; feeding them more just results in more poop.

And remember, most vets see dogs that are not working dogs, and may not be used to the "buff" shape some of our dogs are in.

Cynthia

My large intact male has always been skinny, when wet he looks really scrawny. When he was your pups age he weighed about the same, took until he was about 3 to break 50lbs, he is about 55 now and still really skinny where there is limited muscle, basically he is muscle and bones. He ate 4 cups a food a day until he was about 3, then I finally noticed some weight gain and cut his meal back to 3.5.. but now summer is here he does not want to eat as much and he has been losing a little weight. I don't worry any more he is fit, very strong and very fast.

I agree with all of the above. Typically, teenage BCs are almost skeletal (maybe that word is too strong, but I hope you get the idea). Most people might think they are too skinny. Even vets may think they need to gain a few - particularly if your vet is used to the average (overweight) pet dog vs. a working dog.

I was just into my rehab vet's office for a check-up, and initially, she said my dog was a bit on the heavy side -- but his fur is pretty fluffy (he is not a show-bred dog) which makes him appear heavier. Once weighed, she had to admit that he was OK, but still told me that another pound lower would be even better. (He is 21 1/4" at the shoulder and weighed 40 lbs.)

Jovi

If he has good muscle mass in his rear legs, I wouldn't worry about it. Gideon is slightly over 2 and still has that teenage boy look. It just takes time for them to finish growing and all that energy you are pouring into him is going for other things right now.

Julie P is on target. Oatmeal, or steel cut oat groats or pearled hulled barley, forget the grain free diets, will help. Not with gaining weight but the carbs are what 2 of mine need. I've had pups that were just flat out hungry, craving carbs growing males. Oatmeal helped turn them around. Don't sweat the weight, he sounds healthy. Enjoy him!

Thank you for all the replies and great information. I may try the salmon oil and look into the satin balls. He is well muscled, it is just very lean muscle. I shrug anyone else off who tells me he is too skinny but I thought a vet would be someone who would know. I would say him acting different would probably be a good cue something was off, but this is also the dog that never even winced with a raging uti nor did he miss a step when he tore his carpal pad mostly in half... so I have given up on him giving me any idea if anything is wrong (or if he does he is going straight in ;))

As for grains, he didn't do very well with grains when he was younger. Even on the bland diet he was passing completely undigested rice and oatmeal. Not sure if that classifies him as sensitive to grains or just that kibble and rice/oatmeal.

Thank you again!

Amber