BC Boards

Flying a puppy?

YEA!!!!! picking up my new puppy next month. She will be 7 weeks old, and we are flying from Missouri to DC, a little over 2 hrs.

My question is: is it safe to fly a 7 wk old puppy. She WILL BE IN THE CABIN WITH ME!!

has anyone flown a pup under 8 weeks?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Yippie!!!! thanks JoeAnne and Phoenix

The breeder I bought my puppy from was flying through my area and brought my 8.5 week old pup with her in a bag that fit under the seat. She said he slept most of the way (Oklahoma City to Charlotte, NC), and he was a very happy pup when he was released from the bag. Of course, everyone in the airport that was near to the release of the puppy from the bag had to rush over and cuddle him. :)

Not to put a damper on, but why only 7 weeks? It is better if pups stay with the mom for at least 8-9 weeks.

Jovi

8 weeks is best but definitely no younger than 7 weeks. She will be 6 days shy of 8 wks. This pup is coming off a working farm, so my guess is they feel this is a ok time. Also as professional trainer I am ok with 7 wks... My current BC was 7 wks too.

I am wondering if the 8 wks is an airline standard. I am just concerned with puppy safety ... Thanks for your reply

I've used several different airlines, and they all insist the pup be 8 weeks to fly. They will not fly them younger.

A

apparently they do not ask for proof of age, according to the airline reservationist? my ONLY real concern is the safety of the pup! and I would like any flying tips anyone would care to share to make this better for the puppy. The flight is less than 3 hours long.

I have had more than quite a few puppies at less than the ideal age of 8 weeks old. some rescued and hand raised by myself or someone else, so 6 days shy of 8 weeks does not concern me. I would not take her earlier than that for sure.

8 weeks is minimum and some airlines say 10 weeks, you need health papers and I would not want to be stopped. The TSA does send out inspectors and if the inspector is there the day you fly you will be asked for health papers, had it happen to me when sending a puppy out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/09/travel/practical-traveler-when-dogs-must-fly.html

Here's a good article about flying dog. Check the regulations of the particular airline you are flying with. I would not under any circumstances trust the information you received from the person you made your reservation with. I have never heard of an airline that will fly a dog under 8 weeks and you must have the health certificate to fly them and that will have her age on it. My advice would be to either drive and bring the puppy home in a vehicle or wait until the puppy is 8 weeks old and then you won't have to risk getting caught disobeying regulations trying to fly her home. The breeder shouldn't care to wait a week for you to pick up the puppy since 8 weeks is the optimal time for a puppy to leave its mom.

To those of you who have given me good advice in a respectful manner I thank you, and I am heeding that " helpful ", information. I posted this question because I have NEVER flown a pet period. Therefore I do not know what all is involved.

However, since age concerns have been brought up, I would like to share with those who are concerned with my bringing the pup home at 7 weeks. I understand your questions, and respect your opinion. that being said, I have worked with and for, Dog Training organizations, clubs, and corporate size business'es and trained dogs for well over 25 years. I have owned my own dog training business for over 7 years, and work closely with Vets and other Professional Trainers......I am quite aware of the age for a puppy leaving the mother and litter mates. 7 weeks is perfectly acceptable. I do normally tell clients 8 weeks, which is the standard and state law in many states.

My question was not whether I should get my puppy at 7 weeks old, but....my concern for flying a puppy of that age or even 8 or 9 weeks for that matter? Even if the pup is in the cabin with me ( I worry about cabin pressure changes during take off and landing?) I do not particularly even want to fly myself, (not my favorite thing to do in the first place!) The drive would be almost 1200 miles, one way and I do not have anyone to go with me. So it appears that flying MAY be the best option? I have no experience in flying pets therefore I know when to ask for help, and simply need advice and tips. Again I thank those of you who have helped me with this most important question and decision to fly or not! :)

I flew my pup home and had to have the health certificate with me. (she was 10 wks old and they did check it!) Get a crate that will fit under the seat. You won't be able to take the pup out during the flight, and it may pitch a fit, so be mentally prepared! Can you wait till the pup is 8 wks? I wouldn't risk losing my ticket and getting stuck 1200 miles away from home.

I'm with you on the age issue, Joe Anne. At one time, the Word was that you get a puppy at 7 weeks. Currently, the Word is that you get a puppy at 8-10 weeks. Based on my own experience, anecdotal evidence, and what little real research there is, either one is fine. There are some places where it's illegal to sell or transfer a pup before it's 8 weeks old, but we all know that laws like that are more a result of who wants to push for them and who wants to push back than any indication of what's going to be best for the dog.

But that's not what you asked. I've never flown a puppy, so I can't contribute anything from first-hand experience regarding your real question -- I hope that more other folks can, since the info would apply equally to a 7-week-old or an 8-week-old. But if the airline regs forbid carriage of dogs less than 8 weeks old, I would not be inclined to do it. I don't know how often the airlines check the age on a dog's papers. I suspect it's not very often. Of all the times I've taken dogs across the border to and from Canada, I've had rabies certificates checked exactly once. But if the airline did happen to check your pup's papers and find that it was under age, it could be a big (and costly) mess. The prospect of that would deter me from flying an underage pup.

I flew my Border collie, Sky, home from Denise Wall's farm in NC the day the pup was 8 weeks old, which was, BTW, the youngest the airlines usually let dogs fly. I had a Sherpa bag which fit under the seat but since I was able to fly her as a service dog in training, she did not have to stay in it during the flight. Depending on the flight attendant, you may or may not be able to take your puppy out of the bag and hold her in your jacket or on your lap. If not, the pup might fuss and cry in the bag. Since planes get delayed and little puppies need to eat and pee frequently, so be sure to take some food, some water, a bowl and a few wee wee pads. You can use the wee wee pad in the bathroom before you board. Denise had already taught the puppies "Go potty" and that helped enormously. She had also carried Sky around in her jacket, thinking I would do that in the airport, which is exactly what I did. Being next to your chest and hearing and feeling your heartbeat will help the pup relax and tolerate the flight. I hope this helps.

Thanks Eileen and ALL! I have until midnight tonight to cancel my airline reservations and decide whether to drive or fly?

My youngest grandson has said he wants to go with me if I drive (he is 14 ....... oh and 1/2!.....can't forget the 1/2 for a teen!). He would be good company but I would be doing all the driving! Which he likes because he said, "it would be good bonding time for me and the puppy!" LOL! Cute! He has the littermate/sister (Amica), of my BC boy Phoenix, so he thinks he knows all about BC's!

So again thanks! I am weighing all the " good " and helpful advice I have heard here, along with my road trip reluctance, and like I said I have until 11:59 pm tonight to cancel my reservations without penalty! Hmmmmm!

Time to "meditate" ,pray, walk the floor etc... a lot! The answer WILL COME!!!! LOL! :)

Why not just contact the farm, tell them the airline has an 8week minimum age for flying dogs and reschedule your flight for a whopping 6 days later? You'll have darn near that many days into your drive out and back anyway.

ETA: Them selling you a pup at 7 weeks isn't a huge red flag to me, but if they are unwilling to hold it for 6 days to work out transport that would be. Six days is a blip in time.

I don't get it, the airlines have rules and actually have federal laws to follow, I might be wrong but I believe that they have to follow USDA guidelines because in order to allow you the convenience to carry your pet on the plane or as cargo they need to be a licensed carrier under the animal welfare act. So here is the airlines taking steps to offer pet owners a service and what do pet owners do, feel that the rule should not apply to them and boldly ignore the rule. Do the right thing by taking into consideration the airlines that is offering you the service of flying, rebook your flight or drive.

Another right thing to do is to check with the state in which you are purchasing your pup to see if it is legal or not to purchase a pup under the age of 8 weeks. Would be way nicer is all these laws were not part of the game, but unfortunately some seem to think that they need to be passed and more are coming on the books every year.

It's kinda funny because many want animal abuse to be a felony, but then they don't think twice about doing something when purchasing or transporting a dog/pup that is illegal or they don't know that it is illegal and in many cases if caught could be classified as animal abuse, here is a list of states with laws pertaining to selling pups and ages. http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm

Olivehill....respectfully, it is a non issue now. The farm/breeder has not said I MUST pick up puppy by then! This is MY CHOICE..... my opinion of getting a pup at 7 - 8 wks is just that, my educated opinion.

I humbly respect and appreciate those who feel differently for whatever their reason may be, however my " lifetime/dog experience", personally and as a Trainer, knows this time is fine. We are only talking about 3-4 days before 8 wks old.

To top it off, I DO NOT LIKE FLYING anyway... and I am uncomfy with flying a puppy/dog. Still no one has addressed cabin pressures and puppy/doggy ears anyway!? Actually, still I would like to hear opinions on that, so that I may be more educated and be able to advise my Dog Training Clients in the future.

Anyhooooo! a road trip is what I am doing...better for me, better for the puppy, and I will have the added benefit of precious time with my teen grandson! and anyone who has a teen, knows for them to want to spend any time with an adult family member, let alone their grandmother....is indeed precious time :)

oops meant to mention in my last post..... PS.... BTW and all that stuff :) since I am doing the road trip and leaving several days later than my original flying plan...and will likely spend a day at end of arrival destination... by golly it will probably be 8 weeks anyway by the time she heads home with her forever family ! :)

Debbie...thank you for the link. I will save it for client reference as well. I just checked it out ....very interesting and informative. BTW... we are ok, no laws being broken. I did notice there is no mention of Alaska and Hawaii however?

Hawaii has strict animal import rules due to being rabies-free

Hawaii’s Animal Quarantine Law

Hawaii is rabies-free. Hawaii’s quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the introduction and spread of rabies. All dogs and cats, regardless of age (puppies and kittens included) or purpose, must comply with Hawaii’s dog and cat import requirements.

Chapter 4-29 Hawaii Administrative Rules, governs the importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii. This law states that dogs and cats meeting specific pre- and post-arrival requirements may qualify for 5-day–or-less quarantine program, which has a provision for direct release at Honolulu International Airport after inspection.

Furthermore, the law requires dogs and cats that do not meet all of the specific 5-Day-Or-Less program requirements to be quarantined for up to 120 days upon arrival in Hawaii. Please read thoroughly the following documents containing details on the rabies quarantine programs for importing dogs and cats.

Prohibited Animals: The regulation of animal breeds and species that are permitted to enter Hawaii is under Plant Quarantine Branch jurisdiction and administrative rules. Non-domestic dogs and cats and hybrids such as wolf, wolf cross, Dingo, Bengal, Savannah, etc are prohibited under Plant Quarantine (PQ) law. Refer to Plant Quarantine’s animal guidelines for importation.

Puppies and Kittens: Due to the minimum amount of time needed to prepare a puppy or kitten to meet the requirements of the 5-Day-Or-Less program, a puppy or kitten will be about 10 months of age by the time the preparations are completed. Puppies and kittens not able to meet all of the requirements for the 5-Day-Or-Less program will be quarantined for 120 days.

Jovi

I was told that since dog's ears are not built like ours, the pressure change does not bother their ears the way it bothers ours. In all the years I've flown with service dogs (8 weeks old and up) I never noticed distress from the cabin pressure. The two things that have bothered my dogs are the fact that the floor of a plane trembles and for one of my dogs, looking out the window. He obviously understood where we were and thought it was a really, really bad idea. However, Sky, my current service dog, looks out the window all the time and is perfectly calm about what she sees. Glad you decided to drive!

Thank you Carol !