BC Boards

How Fast Are Your Reflexes?

There is an long time Open handler in our area that has been competing successfully for over 10 years with MS. Many times qualified for Nationals. She lives on a sheep farm and takes young dogs in for training. She did have the skills before the onset of MS.

cheers Lani

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I suspect it would be much easier for someone who already has those skills, but not necessarily impossible for someone who does not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I suspect it would be easier for someone who already has those skills.

My suggestion is to look further into sheep dog herding and/or agility training.

My dog and I trained agility for a couple years, while getting started with herding. We liked working stock, so we gravitated toward it exclusively. I am familiar with both activities. We continue to play agility in the park for our own amusement/exercise using park benches, low fences, and other obstacles of opportunity.

There are lots of ways to approach both activities. A person can purchase a likely puppy or started dog from a trainer/breeder for purely recreational fun, and/or competitive potential. Another way is to train with the dog(s) you are already bonded with, to see how you like an activity, whether your dog suits your individual needs, and to decide where you want to go with sport/activity. Many instructors are fine with coaching for any purpose a handler has in mind, whether eventual competition, farm chores, simple fun, exercise or some combination.

For myself, my little border collie acquired from cowboy on little more than an instant bond, she has been perfect, and I like to think she is happy as well. We have a great time together practicing tried-and-true skills, and pushing ourselves to learn new ones. For us, it's not currently competitive (other than perhaps attempting to improve our personal bests), nor is it primarily a social activity. Pretty much Josie, me and sheep, getting occasional advice from wonderful mentor. It's one approach to sheep dog herding.

Get all kinds of information and advice, like you are already doing. My suggestion is, assuming physically reasonable, talk to recommended instructors to find a good fit, and give one of the activities a try. Get out there for yourself first, and your dogs secondarily. -- Best wishes, TEC

My prayers are with you, and hoping you feel better soon. My suggestion is to not rule-out sheep dog herding and/or agility training. Don't "chuck" the ideas yet.

Thank you TEC. It's just on the back burner for now. :)

Various posts have made me realize that in agility physical demands get greater as the person and the dog progress, in herding it's the other way around. It is hardest physically in the beginning and gets easier.

So true, my first sign of real progression was when I realized that I stopped being out of breath and sweaty after a herding session.

To me mentally one has to be awful fast in stock work handling, and it seems like agility people are awful fast on their feet and signals.

Maja

But you can't be fast with your signals without being mentally quick as well.

You're right Pam! Agility requires more of everything! It's the most intense sport on the planet, and to be competitive you really must be a world-class athlete and a mental giant. Oh, wait, you don't have to have stock sense, because, you know, as long as you can see 'em coming, you can get out of the way. And agility folks don't even have that advantage but really must be able to simply sense where their dogs are. :P

J.

You're right Pam! Agility requires more of everything! It's the most intense sport on the planet, and to be competitive you really must be a world-class athlete and a mental giant. Oh, wait, you don't have to have stock sense, because, you know, as long as you can see 'em coming, you can get out of the way. And agility folks don't even have that advantage but really must be able to simply sense where their dogs are. :P

J.

I think I'll I'll just agree with you. Life's too short.

That said, however, training your sheepdog is probably going to require a good deal of walking. And walking and walking, and depending on your dog, possibly running and hollering. ;) Though if you have a good mentor/trainer to help you out, you can minimize the running stuff.

That's true, but I think quick reflexes (the original question) are even more important in training than being able to handle a lot of walking and running. In competition (sheepdog or agility), slow reflexes can cause you to miss an obstacle, which is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. But in sheepdog training, slow reflexes can keep you from training effectively in general, because it's such an impediment to communication. So much of sheepdog training is communicating to the dog what's right and what's wrong, and that communication is mainly done by action and very little by word. If you can instantaneously read what's happening and quickly respond in your movements, you can make the wrong thing feel wrong to the dog, and the right thing feel right. If your reflexes and timing are not that good, your actions can totally confuse the dog instead of helping him to understand, so that you are worse off. You can see what an impediment to training this would be if it happened over and over again.

However, I agree with those who say you can't predict whether you'd be able to meet the reflex demands of either endeavor until you try -- hopefully under the expert guidance of someone who will give you good feedback about your abilities and your prospects.

If you can instantaneously read what's happening and quickly respond in your movements, you can make the wrong thing feel wrong to the dog, and the right thing feel right. If your reflexes and timing are not that good, your actions can totally confuse the dog instead of helping him to understand, so that you are worse off. You can see what an impediment to training this would be if it happened over and over again.

Good point Eileen. I lumped it all into timing. Being able to read/anticipate that the youngster is about to go wrong (and how and why) and move to correct it before it happens, so to speak, is crucial to successful training. Poor timing has ruined (or at least seriously slowed the progress of) many a dog.

I'm sure many of us remember a time when I trainer was dragging us around by the arm or shirttail to get us in the correct position to at least help the dog get it right....

J.

However, I agree with those who say you can't predict whether you'd be able to meet the reflex demands of either endeavor until you try -- hopefully under the expert guidance of someone who will give you good feedback about your abilities and your prospects.

I don't even want to look at a flock of sheep without a good and forthright trainer/mentor, and only then after I've had time with sheep, sans dog. And honestly, even if one were deemed lacking the requisite abilities, there are other ways to enjoy the endeavor. Just being able to sit at a trial and watch these amazing dogs would be a delight. I watch horse racing, but the only thoroughbred I've been on was retired to a local riding lesson/trail riding facility.

ETA: I can usually figure out pretty quick' when to stay on the porch ;)

Edited by terrecar