BC Boards

Introductions....

Mr Puppy #3 (who is getting closer to his name) is a complete darling. Cricket & Dusty...not so much :( We are trying to introduce him to the others one at a time. I have him outside with me loose - the other dogs are in the large fenced yard. If he goes near the fence, he defers immediately...laying down, looking very docile. They bark and lunge at the fence until I settle them down. Mr Puppy desperately wants to interact with them...but I sure don't want him injured! I've never had to introduce a puppy to the mix...and all other dogs that arrived got along quite well.

Any suggestions...should I take them to a completely neutral space?

In the meantime, we are delighted with our new addition and hope that very shortly everyone will get along.

post-3503-093858400 1340198581_thumb.jpg

Yes to the neutral space. Your dogs are defending their home from this puppy. Try walking them together first. You take your dogs out for a walk then casually meet a friend with the puppy and walk all three. A neutral territory and a direction to move in should help. JMO.

Aww, poor puppy. Take your other dogs, one at a time to meet him on neutral territory. Do the easier one first.

Walk with them in a parallel path, although puppy 3 isn't leash trained, just try to get him to go with you and have your husband walk the other dog on the other side. than you can work with the other two.

Good luck and keep us posted! Good training for everyone!

I agree with Kellybean:

Definitely - neutral territory. A walk works well when I am introducing my resident dog to a new foster. I would imagine that it would help smooth the interactions in your household too.

If those actions are not enough, set up situations where the resident dogs see the puppy ONLY when you are able to reward them - particularly for calm behavior.

They need to understand that puppy = food = good. Don't let them get away with uncontrolled aggression.

Good Luck,

Joi

Barrier aggression can be pretty common, hence why "fence fighting" is an often-used phrase.

When I bring adult dogs home my preferred method of introduction is to take everyone for a walk on neutral ground, followed by letting them meet everyone individually in the yard off leash.

With puppies I just plop them down in the yard and stand guard, letting everyone know that this is MY puppy and they are not allowed to be mean. If someone snarks they are sent away and not allowed to investigate the puppy.

I try not to let the puppy be annoying and pester any of the older dogs, but I do expect everyone in my house to tolerate the others at the very least.

Generally at least one of the dogs will absolutely love the puppy and claim it, not wanting the others to play with their new toy. Everything settles down after a few weeks.

I had some major issues introducing Kipp and Kenzi. Kenzi was great but Kipp was reactive aggressive. I did crate and rotate for a couple weeks. Then I started getting a bowl of kibble (they are both highly food motivated) sat on the floor with one dog on each side of me and rewarded for calm behavior. As soon as Kipp started relaxing around Kenzi he realized that she wasn't a big deal and in about 2 days time he was totally fine with her.

While I agree that the neutral territory introduction is best, I have not always done that with a puppy. What I have done is (wire) crate the newcomer and allow the resident dog(s) in one at a time, then take them back out and introduce the next one, then finally allow them all in with the crated pup. The newcomer felt safe in the crate, I felt safe and I was able to observe the resident dogs' reactions. I admit to erring on the side of caution with these things. I tend to draw them out until I'm confident there will be no problems. With this method, my dogs were able to spend time with the newcomer and become acclimated to its presence. I have had as many as 8 dogs of different breeds together successfully, but they all have their own comfort levels with initial introductions. So, I can say that I would not subject a dog with a high anxiety level or hair-trigger fear/defensiveness to first exposure in a crate, since I feel it would be unfair to the dog. Still, it has worked for each dog I've introduced in this manner.

ETA: Still with this method I would repeat introductions, when I felt it was time, by allowing the pup out of the crate with each dog, one (and only one) dog at a time. Then it would be two dogs with the newcomer, then three, etc. Again, this tends to be a rather drawn out affair, and it is only my (albeit successful) experience. Others may not recommend this method. I think I would personally go with the breeder's recommendation, if only because she has a stake in the success and knows her breed/dogs.

Remember, both Cricket and Dusty did fine with my 5 dogs when they came here for a week's visit. Cricket can do this. We only had to monitor Dusty because he wasnt very patient with slow moving Tex. C and D live in YOUR house, not theirs. I agree with the advice to get puppy leash happy quick and go on some walks along the sideroads. Let them all hang out in crates and observe each other and ignore any nonsense. Puppy is here to stay.

When I brought Breeze home, we kept our bonkers 8 month old pup away for the first day. Spot is too goofy and clumsy and we worried that he'd harm her by being overly rough. We are still supervising them together.

On third morning, I opened the fridge and a small bowl of Breeze's homecooked food tumbled out and splattered on the floor. Puppy and the 2 biggest dogs went over to check it out. Bree figured out that this was yummy stuff and attacked the big dogs who fled for their lives. We are now feeding Bree 2 meals in her crate and one meal by hand to knock off any food aggression. She is one tough cookie and has a very strong will. She is not going to let me get away with much.

Definitely eliminate the fence between dogs. I don't understand why, but a fence seems to be a catalyst for some really snarky behavior. I see it all the time at the dog park. Once the dogs are all on the same side, the Cujo act disappears and you'd think they are all on Valium.

I've always used a crate as a safe place for the newcomer, regardless of age. The newbie is crated in the main living space while the resident dog(s) are allowed to go about their business. Everybody gets to sniff and investigate and I don't have to be on my guard for pack placement spats. Depending on personalities, it may be 24-48 hours before the newbie's crate door is opened while resident dogs are around.

Be sure resident dog(s) are top of the heap when it comes to your attention.

Today, was better... Flint raced over to the fence, plopped down and neither dog barked at him. We did individual walks outside the fence and that went okay. Of course, Flint is not on a leash yet, and decided the ducks were far more interesting...another thing for us to work on!!

I also put the crate in the livingroom while the other dogs were loose..that was okay as well.

I did Secrets deal where I just took Faye outside plopped her down and let one dog out at a time. Making sure I was on hand to claim my puppy. There was a bit of growly stuff as Faye tried to climb in their mouths and push up on to them like a puppy but nothing bad happened and the rest is history. She has turned Mr. Grumpy pants into a pretty nice guy. You just can't grump at a puppy who doesn't care! She won't look at him if he has those pants on so he seems to just not go there anymore!

Love Clint's name!

I agree with Secret and all the info on taking walks and not using the fence. The older dogs are on the "outs" watching you and the puppy have freedom....and they probably don't like that. I have used an x-pen in the house to keep the new dog in the barrier, and it seems to give the appearance of more freedom than using a crate.

Years ago, I was getting a new GS puppy and, planning to do it the "right way", I took both my dogs to Delaware to "meet the new puppy on neutral ground." We had a wonderful day as the puppy and my two dogs played and played. When it was time to go home, I loaded all three dogs in the station wagon. My two went it, and when I placed their new friend in the car....they backed up in horror. What was that THING doing in our car???? Puppy rode home on my lap (all this was before I had crates) and when we got home, my dogs were no more pleased about this than they were in the car. Moral of the story is: introducing a new dog into the pack is a work in progress. Sometimes a bumpy road, but if you monitor it, it eventually works out.

I'm sure it will work out for you. :)

Introductions..update and a question. I have been able to have Flint in the fenced yard with both dogs. Cricket is so focused on her ball that she virtually ignores Flint. He had laid down behind her, beside her and no reaction from her. He does the puppy jump around in her face..she doesn't seemed concerned. When she chases the ball, he runs after her hoping she will play.

Dusty, is the more reactive dog in some ways. However, yesterday and today, Flint was totally submissive and Dusty was okay. Today, Dusty even allowed Flint 'under the stairs' which is very much his domain.

The question - Dusty was attempting to hump Flint - I know this is a dominance act - should I call Dusty off - which I did - or should I let this play out? Any advise would be appreciated.

Also, how long would you suggest these sessions last? I have been giving it about 1/2 hour at a time.

Edited by KrisK

My questions would be:

1. Is the puppy bothered?

2. Or is the puppy taking it as an invitation to play?

3. Is the puppy going to tell the adult dog to knock it off?

4. If the puppy tells the adult dog to knock it off is a fight going to ensue?

If the puppy is taking it as an invitation to play and is not bothered I might not intervene yet. I wouldn't let it go on for long, but while they're figuring things out I might let them be.

If the puppy is likely to tell Dusty off and a fight might ensue I'd step in and take care of it in a hurry. If the puppy is going to learn that habit I'd step in. If the puppy is in any way not down with the hump I'd step in.

As a little aside... Ginger LOVES to hump puppies. She likes puppies so much and gets so fired up that sometimes she just can't help herself and needs a little hump action. :rolleyes: I don't let her run around and hump puppies though. But she sure wishes I would.

A breakthrough! There was a rip roaring game of chase this morning..so much so, that both Flint and Dusty flopped out beside each other. Cricket did not take part, no matter how much Flint tried to entice her. However, my biggest concern was Dusty..and today he definitely accepted Flint as his buddy!! So, perhaps the 'humping' behaviour was just a way for Dusty to test Flint...not sure but they have obviously worked it out :)

In just two weeks, we went from no tolerance to this...... I've never introduced a puppy to the pack - it's always been an adult to adult or with Jazz, he was the puppy and I introduced Zach..who was 6.. I am so impressed.....

post-3503-014879600 1341200414_thumb.jpg

Way to go Flint and Dusty!

I've always found it easier to introduce a puppy than an adult but I have 2 crabby old dogs who don't like other dogs that much unless it's a puppy that they can teach their rules to right off the bat!

Give them time and I bet Cricket will join in the fun or at least find her own games to play with Flint!

• 2 weeks later...

WHOOHOOO...never thought I'd see it...but CRICKET, was play bowing and Flint was so thrilled...a great game of chase happened! I am so delighted! Flint is coming to work with me on Tuesdays & Thursdays...maybe she missed him today..don't know for sure, but do know that all is well in the pack :) He can still be an 'over the top' puppy...but both Cricket and Dusty are happy to have him around! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!