BC Boards

There are some good people out there

Our most recent foster dog we thought was 10/11 when he arrived, you could not have asked for a nicer gentleman very cuddly and happy. It was obvious that he had been used to the good life, wanted to watch tv on the couch (not an encouraged activity here) and every morning we woke with him on our feet snoring. 6 months earlier he had been sent to live in the garage after life as a house pet, the wife had developed allergies to a dog she used to take to school with her, then the husband got order for Afghanistan and into rescue he came after over 10 years with one family.

2 1/2 weeks later a family were really interested him, so they decided to take the 2 plus hour drive to visit him, incase the adoption happened the rescue prepared his paper work the night before only to find out the he was at least 12, possibly older, so they called the family to let them know. They still came, and left with big grins on their faces that he was going home with them, even though he is going to be with them a limited time they were thrilled to have him, with plans to spoil him, take him for walks and just let him hang out and watch tv on the couch.

It made us both very happy to see our oldest foster adopted the fastest of the few we have had, we honestly thought he might be with us for a long long time. His new family can only be called good people.

I pulled a 12 year old dog from a shelter who had been left there when her owners decided to retire and travel the world. They didn't want to be bothered with a dog tying them down. That dog found a new home with a wonderful owner and lived to be 19.

Seniors that come into the rescue I foster for are usually quickly adopted. And sometimes they are foster failures because it is twice as easily to get attached to a senior - you know their time is limited and you want to make sure the rest of their life is good so you can't always give them up. (And yes, I speak from experience!)

We have a super senior and can't hardly get any interest in him.

On the other hand there was my old girl who I fostered at 13 and who had three more awesome years with me since I could never have given her up.

That's a really uplifting story.

As a matter of interest, and knowing how sensitive they are, how quickly is a Border Collie able to come to terms with being permanently seperated from it's long term family?

I can imagine them being depressed for quite a while.

That's a really uplifting story.

As a matter of interest, and knowing how sensitive they are, how quickly is a Border Collie able to come to terms with being permanently seperated from it's long term family?

I can imagine them being depressed for quite a while.

Ziggy settled in with us very quickly, we think he was already depressed when he arrived as he had been living in a crate in the garage for 6 months, so being back in a house with full rights was a huge improvement, it took him 3 days to sneak on the bed in the middle of the night, and after that he has not looked back. He has settled into his new house quickly sleeping on the sons bed just liked they hoped.

And yes he was close to a foster failure, especially at the point were we thought he might have been 14 not 12, he would have been welcome to live his life out with us, the rescue when they took him in thought he might live his life out in rescue. But we are thrilled he found such a loving home, to be spoilt by 3 people rather than sharing with 2 other dogs is so much better. They actually reminded Dave and I of ourselves when we got our first dog, they had been looking and planning and hoping for a dog for ages, and they were just so excited to have him, he is in really good health so we are hoping that they have a long time together.

As depressing as the rescue world can be at times, it's stories like this that keep us going! :D

Our shelter recently placed a 12 year old terrier mix with a large, inoperable tumor on her side. A biopsy confirmed that it was cancerous and the veterinarian gave her a year, max -- although under six months was a likely possibility.

Because of the nature of this sweet little dog, we pushed forward to pursue placement. It was made a little more difficult when Happy showed us she was not willing to share her space with other pets at the end of her life, so we had to find a home where she'd be the only pet. We'd actually had SEVERAL wonderful adopters apply, but none of the dog meets had gone well.

It took a few weeks and the help of the local media, but we did eventually place Happy in a wonderful home. It was an older couple who'd recently lost their dog to cancer. They felt that they were robbed of their time with their previous pet, so they wanted to spend that time spoiling Happy. What wonderful people.

It's things like that which counteract the feelings I felt last night when some jackass surrendered his two severely underweight 4 & 5 year old Labradors (seriously -- they were both a 1 on the body condition scale). :angry:

It's things like that which counteract the feelings I felt last night when some jackass surrendered his two severely underweight 4 & 5 year old Labradors (seriously -- they were both a 1 on the body condition scale). :angry:

I was so impressed by the family that adopted Ziggy, that I was happy he had been surrendered, instead of being confused how such a nice dog would be given up after 11 years, and how you could go from caring for an animal (his vets records are complete no lapses in inoculations, always seems to have been licensed etc) to sending him to the garage then into rescue.

I was so impressed by the family that adopted Ziggy, that I was happy he had been surrendered, instead of being confused how such a nice dog would be given up after 11 years, and how you could go from caring for an animal (his vets records are complete no lapses in inoculations, always seems to have been licensed etc) to sending him to the garage then into rescue.

That's the way I felt when we adopted Daniel. The previous owners had adopted him from a rescue in NW Ohio, had him microchipped, kept up with shots, even had him tested for allergies, then six years later returned him to the original rescue organization. In the almost four months we've had him, I haven't seen anything that would make a person just up and give up a sweet dog like him. :blink: Their loss was our gain. :)

Archived