BC Boards

Robin is throwing up!

ejano

Robin has in the past half hour thrown up about 2 cups of a thick yellow mucus in which pieces of a hard rubber chewy ring are evident. Ladybug shredded this toy last Friday! He seems fine otherwise - he cleaned up his food dish last night. I haven't seen him drink any water today, though I wouldn't have notice if he had. He ran around outside and doesn't seem distressed otherwise...

I'm home alone - can't drive because of my knee replacement. Local vet is closed. What do I do?

(Not a good thing - I lost Scotty 3 years ago today!)

Liz

Emergency vet. If he has the blockage it sounds like, you probably shouldn't wait.

ETA: Oh, you can't drive--can a friend take you?

My husband is home now....I just have to find an ER vet - it's tough living in the "hills."

I remember the shredded pieces lying on the carpet downstairs. There weren't a great many. I threw the toy away then went for the sweeper but wandered off in a daze...came back downstairs later and the pieces were gone. That was a couple of days ago. I thought DH had picked them up but he just said no. He also noted that Robin drank all of the water in his crate last night and ate all the food. From what I remember, it looks like he threw up what a similar number of bits of hard rubber that I remember on the carpet.

I talked with the ER vet - she said to keep an eye on him for a couple of hours and that it was okay to feed him (I agree with Journey - I'm not so sure!) and if he vomits again, after eating or drinking, to bring him in. (I asked the prices for visit, x-rays- quite reasonable!)

If we don't go tonight, I'll be sure to take him to my reg vet for an XRAY tomorrow.

Wretched pup -- I love him so much!

The vet is correct in suggesting food. Since he's already thrown up the evidence if you offer another small meal and that settles then all is well. If he throws that up then it's possible he has a blockage. Has he pooped?

Can't say -- our backyard is fenced in and we just toss them out the door. Their bathroom area is on the other side of pine trees...we'll keep an eye on him from here on out.

DH just served half his usual dinner...going to gimp downstairs now to see what's going on. And of course we'd be getting a storm today after such a mild winter! The ER vet is about an hour away!

When do they stop acting like puppies...he's three years old next month! But I have the feeling Robin will always have the appetite of a "goat."

Liz

I only suggested an ER because ejano said her regular vet was closed.

Yeah, I missed that. Sorry.

I can understand why they say feed him, but I'm not sure I'd panick either way. I'd tend to not think blockage since it's been a week. Lying there in his gut wreaking havoc, yes. Good luck.

Yeah, I missed that. Sorry.

I can understand why they say feed him, but I'm not sure I'd panick either way. I'd tend to not think blockage since it's been a week. Lying there in his gut wreaking havoc, yes. Good luck.

And I'm probably extra paranoid since I just went through this with my pup, and her symptoms started a few days after ingestion. She did have a blockage.

Dogs. Always find a way to freak you out. <_<

And I'm probably extra paranoid since I just went through this with my pup, and her symptoms started a few days after ingestion.

Dogs. Always find a way to freak you out. <_<

It's a bad day for me too :).

10 PM -- he seems fine. No problems after his smallish meal. Did tricks, ran around the yard at full speed (only peed). What a pain in the neck he is -- but he's mine :). I'll keep him in the bedroom tonight to be safe.

Thanks everyone!

Can't say -- our backyard is fenced in and we just toss them out the door. Their bathroom area is on the other side of pine trees...we'll keep an eye on him from here on out.

Liz

Hope Robin continues to be playful and upbeat. That's a very good sign.

Went through something similar recently when, for no good reason I could determine, and as a first, my six year old border collie, who I have owned since a pup, decided to eat a good portion of the stuffing in her sleeping pad. It was a fluffy material, much like big cotton balls, but coarser. She tossed-up lots of the stuffing several times a day for couple days.

She ate, drank and pooped properly, and acted fine. Called the vet, and he told me that she sounded OK, and to keep an eye on her. She continued to throw-up copious amounts of the material, until I got concerned, and took her to my vet. He examined her, and based on her normal behavior, and bodily functions, he gave his blessing. No X-rays in this case. As a precaution, he gave her some fluids, and something to soothe her throat.

Incredible how much stuff they can ingest. Vet said their stomachs just expand to accomodate. Be sure to have lots of water available at all times, and try to monitor whether he drinks. I suggest waiting for the storm to pass, and taking Robin in to ease your mind. -- Best wishes, TEC

Oh, poor Robin - and poor you! It's wonderful he seems to be doing okay, tonight, but I feel for you.

Years and years ago, my hubby and I had our first dog, an Aussie-with-a-tail. When she was about 4 months old, she swallowed the knot-end of a rawhide chew bone. Next thing we know, the poor thing couldn't eat, couldn't poop - she was miserable! And as luck would have it, we were 30 miles from the vet in the middle of a freaking blizzard. :o

But we called the vet, described the situation, and he just said, "Chicken soup and Pepto Bismol." We never did get the Pepto down her, but we gave her chicken soup and the next morning, the poor pup shot gunk out both ends. :lol: However, she was fine, after that!

Keep us posted. I hope Robin will continue to do well and this will pass without further incident.

~ Gloria

Robin is his usual bombastic self this morning. DH saw him poop and Robin has since been playing tug of war with Ladybug at the rope outside, (tried to get a picture but I don't move very fast yet!) chasing around with Brodie and briefly harassing the cat. Typical Robin behavior. We should all be so cheerful in the morning as our dogs!

I'm going to feed him another half measure of food this AM and see how he does today but it would seem that he's just fine.

Thanks again everyone!

Liz

When the foreign objects come back out, that's usually a good sign. It's scary how long they can keep stuff in their system, though. I've had dogs vomit up stuff that disappeared two or three days before, easily.

Last Christmas my parents gave the dogs toys with a bunch of squeakers. I recovered all but one of them. THREE MONTHS LATER I found it in a pile of Secret's poop outside. Three months it took for that thing to pass through her... :blink: I am *very* watchful when they have anything with squeakers now, which is rarely.

Archived