BC Boards

DNA Testing

Howdy,

This is a picture of Emma. Every time we go anywhere I get ask "what kind of dog is that?". So just for grins I sent for a DNA test. At least I would have some answer other than "rescue mutt" I was pretty sure she had some herding or cattle dog in her because she does all the herding things. (head down slinking, giving me "the eye" if I don't throw the ball) She also looks a little like a Terrier and acts like a Terrier sometimes. She is really smart and a workaholic. She had never seen weave poles and one hour later all I have to do is point to the weave poles and tell her "go weave" and she does.

So I get the results of the DNA test back and it says she has Fox Terrier in the mix. No surprise. But then it says her dominate breed is.... Get this.... Chow Chow!?!? That was the only two breeds listed on the certificate. Strange huh?

Travis

post-12558-083156400 1328291835_thumb.jpg

Oh, yes! Ask Laurae about her chihuahua. :lol: From what I've heard, the test isn't very reliable at all.

Emma is adorable, and I could see her being a BC or ACD/terrier mix. She doesn't quite have the border jack look, but she looks like some border staffies I've seen. But, I guess it be fox terrier instead.

I vote for a new rule in rescue....

Once the dog is in its forever home the adopter gets to call their new dog whatever they want! They are already altered, loved and happy. I say the dog can be whatever the new owner wants it to be!

I call the above dog in question BEAUTIFUL and smart to boot!

:)

Laurae, Chihuahua?? A bit of a stretch :D But I guess if Emma can be a Chow, Sophie can be a Chihuahua.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I think she is really cute too... but I might be biased...:) I love the new rescue rule. So officially she is.... Kelpie \ Fox Terrier. ( I had to pick something nobody guessed for fun) But it is fun to watch peoples reaction when I tell them she is a Chow...

post-12558-026143000 1328299615_thumb.jpg

wow. what a unique looking, beautiful dog! I can see why people ask. :)

My neighbor's lab had puppies (she let's the dog run :angry: ) and the test came back Labrador/Poodle. She checked with the poodle lady down the road and indeed, she had got caught by him. That is one of the few that I've seen come back correct. And the puppies grew up totally looking and acting like "labradoodles". :rolleyes:

Laurae, Chihuahua?? A bit of a stretch :D But I guess if Emma can be a Chow, Sophie can be a Chihuahua.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I think she is really cute too... but I might be biased...:) I love the new rescue rule. So officially she is.... Kelpie \ Fox Terrier. ( I had to pick something nobody guessed for fun) But it is fun to watch peoples reaction when I tell them she is a Chow...

Wow in this photo she really looks like a smooth fox terrier! I know those tests are silly sometimes but I have seen mixed dogs that I knew what the mother looked like and you never would guess the puppies were hers. This is so true when you have 2 mixed dogs who bred, whose parents might have also been mixed, etc etc...the puppies can all be so different looking and start looking like breeds that they have none of in them!

She is 32lbs and kind of skinny looking. I think she would be heavier if she wasn't going all the time.

At the park I will send her out away from me and have her do stuff by hand signals. People come up and say what a great dog "I want to get one of those" And I think to myself they would never say that if they saw the other side of her. The crazy, neurotic, freaky bundle of energy she is. It's true owners do resemble their dogs :) so we get along well.

Interesting about the mixed breed dogs. I just assumed the puppies would look like the parents. Shows how little I know..

The DNA testing place did have a disclaimer that said something like if your dog was not one of the breeds they are able to test for, they would report the closest match. And this may result in them reporting unlikely breeds for you dog.

The DNA test that I have seen done have come back with ridiculous results. They were all done through a Veterinarian sent to a lab and are suppose to be more accurate than the "at home" kits..... I am an Animal Control Officer in a City with a Pit Bull ban and we had someone who Obviously had two pit bulls, contest the court and get to keep their dogs (YEAH!) because the DNA test came back as anything but pit bull (or staffordshire terrier). I am so against breed bans and have even told some people it might be a way around the ban.....

The DNA test that I have seen done have come back with ridiculous results. They were all done through a Veterinarian sent to a lab and are suppose to be more accurate than the "at home" kits..... I am an Animal Control Officer in a City with a Pit Bull ban and we had someone who Obviously had two pit bulls, contest the court and get to keep their dogs (YEAH!) because the DNA test came back as anything but pit bull (or staffordshire terrier). I am so against breed bans and have even told some people it might be a way around the ban.....

Wow, I can't believe there is actually a ban on a breed of dog. I feel a little bad and irritated because I've met incredibly loving and friendly pits. On the other hand its much better than what's "acceptable" in my area, which is if a dog is deemed dangerous by a police officer than it fine to shoot the dog in the head... which has resulted in several cases (so I've heard) dead pit-bulls. One case I heard was where a police officer was making an arrest and ended up shooting three pits. Unfortunately for the dogs there's a lot of people who avidly oppose their existence so little is done to protect them.

Wow, I can't believe there is actually a ban on a breed of dog. I feel a little bad and irritated because I've met incredibly loving and friendly pits. On the other hand its much better than what's "acceptable" in my area, which is if a dog is deemed dangerous by a police officer than it fine to shoot the dog in the head... which has resulted in several cases (so I've heard) dead pit-bulls. One case I heard was where a police officer was making an arrest and ended up shooting three pits. Unfortunately for the dogs there's a lot of people who avidly oppose their existence so little is done to protect them.

Breed Specific Legislation is quite popular in this country and even Canada (last time I was in Toronto, Pit Bulls had to wear muzzles when out in public). Unfortunately though, in many places they are completely banned, killed immediately in shelters if rescues can't relocate them out of the county or state or you can have one but must carry a crazy amount of liability homeowners insurance. I also believe in places in Europe they ban Pit Bulls.

Archived