BC Boards

Frontline Plus

luv2napp

I have used Frontline Plus for years without a problem. However, I have been reading lately, about the horror stories people have been experiencing with it. Also, about the possibility of some of the packages being counterfeit.

Has anyone else heard anything? Can you suggest something else for me to use? We live in a bad tick and flea area.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

I just started using the Preventic collar. I read on packaging that some people can have reactions to the dog wearing the collar and I put in on pretty tight to where I almost cannot get my index finger under the collar. Is this tight enough and are there any other precautions that should be taken with a dog wearing these collars. I am also wondering if there is any thing to watch out for as far as bad reaction on the dogs part wearing the collar. Vet says tick season is upon us.

I really like Preventic collars too. They seem to have provided the best protection for my dogs in this area (MidAtlantic). Unfortunately, like Novartis and Interceptor, Virbac has a production issue and Preventic collars are not available right now. If you see them out there, stock up - it's going to be a while before they are back in production. I tried the Scalibor collar last year but it wasn't as effective.

Michelle

I used Frontline and FL+ forever however, a year or so ago I read where the active ingredient, Fipronil is a potential carcinogen along with other nasty side effects...Already enough instances of cancer in Border Collies, don't need to pile on IMHO...

I now use Spinosad, applied topically and Orange oil, also applied topically, and that has really worked for me...

About Fipronil:

http://www.pesticide.org/get-the-facts/pesticide-factsheets/factsheets/fipronil

I stopped using frontline about 4.5 years ago when my old lady at 14 got fleas for the first time. The vets office said that they had seen a huge increase in fleas from people using frontline in my southern New England area, so I switched to K9 Advantix. No fleas but those pesky ticks are hard to keep away.

No fleas but those pesky ticks are hard to keep away.

No fleas around here, but we've had a running battle with those pesky ticks the last couple of years. Frontline Plus isn't working and nothing else I've tried does either, I tried a so called "natural" flea and tick treatment, but Senneca went nuts after application writhing and squirming, so that's out.

After battling TBDs in several dogs, despite the use of Frontline plus........I went to the Preventic collars about 2 years ago......I am well pleased, ticks don't even want to stay on the dogs, nevermind attaching....the main issue is remembering to replace them in a timely fashion, so far they have been effective for 3 months, but you are pushing your luck to go longer without replacing the collars. Just ordered a new batch to get thru the Spring tick explosion. They are/were in stock at Lambert Vet Supply and at Jeffers......between $10 to $12 .

Some of the folks on Tick-L are reporting issues with the Preventic collars, dogs getting sick and the like. Also, such collars shouldn't be used on dogs who chew on each others' necks a lot or on dogs who get in water a lot. Some folks take them off if they know the dogs are going swimming, but apparently taking off and putting on can reduce effectiveness.

That said, if they work, then that's a step above most other products. Certifect is fipronil and amitraz (the active ingredient in Preventic collars). Because it's a new products, most folks are leery of using it because they don't want their dogs to be guinea pigs, but if you're using a collar with amitraz anyway, it might be worth considering.

J.

I tried the Certifect last fall on my BC and was generally happy with it. It does have more odor than the Frontline, and is a larger volume to apply.

What I like about it vs the other Amitraz products is that it's a low dose not meant to kill. The Amitraz is supposed to "excite" the ticks and make them move around more so that the fipronil will kill them more quickly.

I've not had any trouble with Frontline Plus not working, but we hike a lot and have a ton of Lyme in this area, so I tried it.

I've never had flea issues, just the ticks. I'd really prefer to not use anything, but that doesn't seem a wise option.

Frontline plus is an issue for me here in Iowa. For myself, the problem isn't the product but the fact that my dogs collect a lot of ticks and the contact time to kill the ticks is 2-3 days AFTER attaching to the dog (I called the Frontline company and spoke with them last year). The wily Iowa ticks crawl off the dogs and unto me and the ceilings. I've thought of using the Preventix collar but was warned by several vets that if my dog chews on the collar (or another dog's collar while playing) it is toxic. Since Rose eats anything she can fit in her mouth I haven't used them. So far a combination of evening tick checks and frontline plus has kept the issue to a minimum. I know the new Certifect is out and supposed to be very good but I haven't had time to look up the safety data on it so I haven't bought any. A lot of vets are carrying it now though.

Archived