BC Boards

Our new foster "Seeker"

This is our new foster "Seeker" or Seeka as my daughter insists. What can I say, she's a red tri, healthy, beautiful, absolutely sweet, loving to a fault, good with other dogs and cats, spayed, house trained....Tell me again how she came to be a foster?

379462_2322783033707_1373533897_31916931_2115150136_n.jpg

People are weird.

One time I fostered a Papillon whose owner swore to me that he was the most awful menace. She told me he was huge,and how he terrorized her tiny Pom, how he peed "all over the house" and had totally ruined her dining room table and carpeting. She said he lunged at her, stole the cats food, and couldn't be walked on a leash. I honestly almost told her I couldn't take him into rescue.I had a lot of my own dogs at that point and and 2 fosters and was working a lot. But, I decided I needed to at least give him a a chance.

Well, He was huge because he was so morbidly obese he looked like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Papillon. He could hardly move much less terrorize anyone or lunge at her. Her "completely ruined" dining room looked perfect to me, I guess he had tinkled on a table leg and in her zeal to clean the cleaner had slightly discolored the carpet in a 3"x3" spot. Seriously, I had to get on my hands and knees to see it while she ranted about it. He couldn't be walked on a leash because he was so fat he could hardly walk. His elbows were trapped in fat when he stood and he couldn't sit like a dog, he had to splay out his hind legs. He was miserable.

I took him home and helped him lose 8 lbs (and he needed to lose a little more when he left). He never growled at me, menaced any of my dogs (ranging from a Golden Retriever to a elderly toothless 6 lb Pap), chased any cats or peed on anything. He went to live with a nice couple who had mobility issues and he was spectacular at leash walks with a wheelchair and sleeping on their laps.

People are weird.

I try to be careful about judging in situations like Seeker's without knowing the full story. With the economy down the toilet, I've seen far too many people lose their jobs and homes. Many end up desperate and living in cramped quarters with family or friends. Sometimes they are forced to part with beloved pets when, despite their best efforts, they can't find temporary housing for them. I've seen people homeless and living in their cars rather than part with their dogs, but they didn't have kids worry about.

I try to be careful about judging in situations like Seeker's without knowing the full story. With the economy down the toilet, I've seen far too many people lose their jobs and homes. Many end up desperate and living in cramped quarters with family or friends. Sometimes they are forced to part with beloved pets when, despite their best efforts, they can't find temporary housing for them. I've seen people homeless and living in their cars rather than part with their dogs, but they didn't have kids worry about.

Agreed. Good point.

The one thing that haunts me a bit is that when Jane (daughter) raised her arm to throw a ball for her, Seeker immediately went down and cowered.

And I've seen dogs who have never been struck cower when a person they are not yet comfortable with moves their arms suddenly. Sure, she may have been abused, unapreciated and neglected, but she might also be a shy dog that someone loved very much. I can only imagine what a rescuer might think of my dog with severe generalized anxiety and PTSD if he ever landed in a foster home.

... healthy, beautiful, absolutely sweet, loving to a fault, good with other dogs and cats, spayed, house trained...

Well, I have the male from the same transport, and I can say the same about him (err, no, he's not fixed yet, but the rest fits). When I manage to slow him down enough, I'll take some photos and post them; he's a busy boy and eager to learn.

P1010723.JPG

Another picture of the little girl. She's been having a bit of a tough time since Christmas. She got a bit of rich (cooked) ham bone in her stocking and her weaponized, eye blistering gas and tummy rumbles turned into full fledged Hershey Squirts . Unfortunately, she has a paralyzed tail so her beautiful (if limp) BC flag is now shaved. She also may have nerve issues with the rest of her hind end. She had slow reflexes when the vet turned her rear paws over and she may not be able to completely control her sphincter. She may have to be turned into an Aussie :rolleyes: To keep her clean and healthy.

She is SO smart. So much so that I really have to watch what I say and do. She also really wants to please; she's always looking up to see what I want. She's SUCH a border collie.

Archived