BC Boards

Puppies who hate leashes?

So I was watching a friend the other day with his new puppy. He was trying to keep the pup tethered to him while he couldn't keep 100% eyes on the pup. The pup did not seem to like this at all. He backed all the way to the end of his leash and began to fight it trying to get away. My friend thought eventually the pup would grow use to the leash but for the fifteen minutes they where tethered the pup fought against the leash, occasionally chocking himself with it.

Later my friend tired to walk the pup just down his hallway and the pup refused to move an inch, no treat would sway him. The pup didn't seem to be afraid of it, but was sort of like a three year old who made up their mind. It was like you could see on the pups face, "I am not doing anything until you get this thing off of me." As soon as the leash was off the pup was as peppy and sweet as ever.

My friend wants to give up on the leash all together because his pup walks perfectly at heel without leash. I, however, don't believe this is a terribly good idea considering he lives in a suburban area and although cars aren't that popular on his street, it's always good to have that back up, just in case.

Anyway, any suggestions on handling this issue? The pup is only 10 weeks old.

I suppose if you had to, put a tagline on him that he can safely drag and get used to some of the pressure. But I think 10 weeks is a bit young to expect too much. Start one step at a time. Tethering to a person would imply that the person will move around a bit much for a pup.

I don't think that the pup is too young for leash training, it's just that tethering the pup to a uninhibited moving object was too much so he just shut down in an effort to survive when fighting didn't gain him relief. Simply the lessons learned was not to give to the leash and follow it but instead implode and quite trying. If it was my pup and I had to leash it I would start by trying to reteach the pup how it is suppose to respond to a pull on the leash but be 100% certain that the pup gets rewarded for the proper response. If the owner insists on tethering the pup when he has no time to manage it atleast tether it to a non-moving object which will be consistent with correction and reward. Better yet, invest in a puppy playpen and a crate.

The first thing that I would try is attaching the leash only during meals to build a positive association with it. I wouldn't pick it up, touch it, nothing. Just clip it on, let it drag, feed, take it off. I might even use a very short and light line at first.

Once the puppy was coming to me eagerly for the leash at mealtime, I would begin to do very short sessions with the puppy picking the leash up, dropping it, walking along with the leash dragging, pick it up, move as normal. From there I would incorporate the use of treats to reinforce good leash behavior.

In the meantime, I would use an x-pen and/or crate for the puppy when unable to supervise.

I tethered all my dogs to me when they were that young/younger and it helped with house breaking. I don't see anything wrong with it but my dogs never reacted this way either. I keep toys EVERY where for the dogs, so they have access to them ALL the time. I usually tether a pup to me when I am in the kitchen or sitting at my desk. Because I tethered them to me all of my dogs stay within a certain range of me even when they are not on a leash now (the invisible leash). Maybe he should give the dog a chew toy when the pup is tethered to him so there is a positive association. I suggest trying to find ways to associate the leash with something positive and to not give up.

Good luck!

Shawnee

Dear Doggers,

My pups generally run free (farm) until they're three months, at which time I take a steel lead, fasten him to a fence (make sure he can't strangle) and go inside. I come back after an hour and a half and, without remark, unfasten the pup. Repeat after two days. The pup learns leash struggle is useless, he can remain calm when chained up and he cannot bite through a leash.

Donald McCaig

To expand on my rather flip first response: I've just found that if you concentrate, in the early weeks, on basic training and bonding, it is easier to train for something that the pup doesn't particularly like (aka: The Leash) later on.

A large part of what you're doing early on is training the dog to be trained. You're getting it trained to expect a reward for doing something, you're expanding its attention span and generally teaching it to "like school". This makes everything that comes later much easier.

That said, for some leash training is a matter of survival. If you live in an appartment and need to take your pup for walks to do it's business, leash training comes early. One of the tactics I've used in the past was to put the pup on a very light puppy leash, carry (not drag) it out side and then do my best to make the leash "invisible" while the pup walks around and sniffs, etc. Early in leash training, I would do my best to make leashed walking as pleasant and inobtrusive as possible. Too much tugging and dragging and too many corrections may do more harm than good. Remember, BC's are smart dogs and the pup knows who's on the other end of the leash.

I'm usually pretty much a hard-ass when it comes to training, but for young pups, I think the basics of bonding and "training prep" are paramount and take a gentle, patient handler.

Once again, place all caveats here:

Star hated her leash at first, too. Though I think it wasn't as bad as this pup. She would plant her feet and bite the leash. So, I just sat on the floor at the end of the leash and told her to come. No tug. If she backed away from the leash, I didn't pull back, just held it and sat there. Sort of the quiet, patient obstinance approach until she figured out the only way to stop the pulling feeling was to quit backing up. I might have helped her figure this out by telling her to come when she was pulling back. It only took a few turns of this for her to realize: 1. when the leash is on I should come to the person and, 2. The way to get this darned thing to quit pulling on me is to go toward the person (self-rewarding). She almost never pulls on a leash when walking now. And she does still dislike someone pulling on the leash, but we just never really have to do it.

As an animal shelter volunteer, I have met lots of puppies and I have yet to encounter a 10-week-old who responds well to being leashed. I agree with other posters who suggest attaching the pup to a lead and letting him/her drag it around and get used to the feel (throwing in lots of positive reinforcement), and using an x-pen when your friend can't keep an eye on the pup.

Archived