BC Boards

Aussiedoodle

Now I'm not much on the idea of trying to place a dog on Craig's list, but this ad intrigued me. The sour note for me was the "obo."

So I called the person. I asked her where she got it, why she was giving up the dog, and if she could e-mail me a picture of the dog. I told her that I have a friend driving to Phoenix to visit relatives in a couple of weeks and that if I decided I wanted the dog, my friend could drive it home to me. (Which is all true, by the way.)

She said got the dog from someone who had 5 dogs and couldn't keep them all. She also said she had been trying to train the dog as a hearing dog, and it didn't work out. Dog is 5 mos old, current on shots, but not spayed. She said the dog "doesn't shed." (I never met a 5 mo. old puppy that did, but I'll let that go.) She also said she had one other dog that was looking for a home. I didn't ask about it.

So what do you think? Could this simply be a dog that someone is trying to help? I don't like that it isn't spayed, and I'm not sure how any pup "washes out" of any training program at the age of 5 mos., but then I've never had anything to do with training hearing dogs.

Here are the pictures she sent.

post-10533-053747700 1315095531_thumb.jpg

post-10533-084947200 1315095546_thumb.jpg

post-10533-085917900 1315095574_thumb.jpg

post-10533-076101400 1315095594_thumb.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what do you think? Could this simply be a dog that someone is trying to help? I don't like that it isn't spayed, and I'm not sure how any pup "washes out" of any training program at the age of 5 mos., but then I've never had anything to do with training hearing dogs.

Here are the pictures she sent.

So cute!! It sounds like it could potentially be a situation where she's in over her head and doesn't want to admit it. I wouldn't be concerned about no spay at 5 months. A lot of people don't spay until 6 months, and I personally prefer to wait to spay/neuter until the dog has reached maturity so he/she can grow optimally. I realize this takes commitment to maintain an intact dog for two years responsibly, though, so I can understand why some would prefer to do it earlier. Either way, I don't find it concerning in this case.

Archived