BC Boards

What are your goals and plans for this coming season

It's getting a bit quiet around here and I thought it would be a good time to dream and to start a thread about what everyone's plans and goals were for this coming summer/season.

My dog Ricky came home a couple of weeks ago from 45 days of training with Marc Christopher, I was kinda a basket case while he was gone fretting about what the summer would bring for us. The last two weeks have been interesting, the first week kinda stressful as I struggled to get with Ricky and hold onto what Marc had put on him. This past week we had some pretty good blow ups that I felt ended as a gain in my column and today I had the most pleasant and enjoyable session with him, may even be the best working/training session that I have ever had with any dog.

Wayne and I took some sheep out to the field and we tested the dogs and ourselves, both Jake and Ricky did great holding sheep for set out, taking the sheep off each other, holding lines and dealing with strong draws, we were running at 250 yards. It was by no means perfect, both they and us need more work, but it was almost relaxing....weird...

Anyway, leading into my plans and goals, hoping to hit a few open field sheepdog trials in addition to our regularly scheduled cattledog and arena sheepdog trials and have fun, basically see where the summer takes us.

I've already found that I want to go to way more trials then I can afford. Our next trial will be at the end of the month down at Lyle East's, it will be my last chance to see if I can get Ricky qualified for cattledog finals, if we make it we make it, if we don't no big deal, I just want to have fun running my dog. We then are off to the Indiana Horse Fair to run at the trial they are having, it is limited to 10 Open/Advanced dogs, both Jake and Ricky are entered in it.

I don't think that we have anything else planned for April, funds will be pretty dry after having to come up with Cattledog Finals entry fees, kennel license, truck/car license plates renewals & the next installment for the fall Nursery Challenge where I plan on run Ricky in October...sure hope we get a good tax return this year!

The month of May has me torn, Roy Tabor's sheepdog trial or Larry Moore's, Scott Glen will be running at Larry Moore's, I would love to see him and others run their dogs, kinda leaning toward Larry's, Wayne has run Jake on that field before and Wayne has given me some heads-up advise, so we might just take Roy's trial off the schedule.

Finals will be the end of May followed immediately by the crazy month of June-July, we are hosting a Marc Christopher seminar the 1st weekend (hopefully I will be able to show progress with my dog instead of a backwards slide), we have the Iowa Sheep Festival the second weekend and the Southern Iowa Cattledog Trials the third.

Over the 4th of July we have demos here by Williams and there is also talk about us appearing that our county fair the following weekend. The next week we are hearing that we may have a new sheepdog trial to go to down in Southern Iowa, one week off and then Adair County Fair sheepdog trial.

August is almost as busy as May/June/July, September should slow down and October will be the Southern Iowa Cattledog Trials and Nursery Challenge...and then we welcome winter again....

Deb

It will be an interesting spring/summer

I am going to Bobby Dalziel's clinic this spring and the summer depends on many factors, probably training/working dogs.

BTW, Butch was MUCH improved on sheep after his working the cows last Sunday :D I think I'll have to get cows I am taking donations for the buy Butch a cow fund ;)

Training Plans: Continue to work with Eve (1yr) and hopefully have her ready for trialing this fall.

Give Nell lots of chores and miles driving to help her relax and work on her shedding.

Keep Peg in shape.

Trialing Plans:

TBD based upon fuel prices. We'll probably not be able to afford the fuel for the sheepdog finals this year.

Host our first trial (1 day) probably in August.

Pam, how old are they going to be and what breed?

This next time through we are buying fewer and older, we don't have time to bottle feed. Latest news was $1.02/lb for 250-350 lbs, we can barely raise them for the price right now.

Dear Sheepdoggers,

Fly and I are not together yet, so we'll hit my favorite trials and one or two new ones. No Finals this year. I'll be researching in the south (trials!) and west (trials) and this fall in Haiti (no trials). A conservation easement on the farm, work on the barn, house guttering. The 22nd Occasional Highland Sheepdog Trial will be Labor Day weekend - guess I should get that in to Francis.

As the old Scot cautioned: "If we're spared . . ."

Donald McCaig

My goal is to participate in my first trial ever with Devon this fall, in the novice class of course. I'm excited and nervous.

Exciting!! Where are you going to trial at this fall, will it be close to Milwaukee? I need to get over toward Kenosha area this summer/fall sometime and would like to pick up a trial while there, mom lives in Kenosha. Closest that I've found is Jefferson.

Me: Fix my whistles!!!! That means buying a new one that suits me better (doesn't slip so easily).

Sage: Get his head back in the right place. Several years ago he had a breakdown after being attacked several times by loose dogs. Since then he has been to much on edge for me to really enjoy working him. His tension level made him reactive and hard to control. Mentally he has been doing so much better this past year (off meds since last November) that I decided it was time to get serious with him again. I have started training him from the ground up, going back to foundation work to remind him of the basics.

Juniper: She needs to finish her foundation training. Mentally she is still young and not wanting to think while she works. A better trainer could handle her around a course already, but I want her to do the work. I do see moments when she relaxes, takes charge and engages her brain. When this happens Juniper is absolutely lovely and I can envision her future. I also plan start her on cattle in a few weeks. I'll be running her in sheep dog trials this year and maybe cow dog trials as well.

puppies: Start them when they are ready.

Exciting!! Where are you going to trial at this fall, will it be close to Milwaukee? I need to get over toward Kenosha area this summer/fall sometime and would like to pick up a trial while there, mom lives in Kenosha. Closest that I've found is Jefferson.

The Crook and Whistle trial in Jefferson is the closest that I know of to the Milwaukee area. And that trial and/or the Labor Day Trial in Portage is where we will hopefully make our debute. :)

I have attended both trials and they are both really fun. I scribed at the Crook and Whistle last year too and learned a lot.

I'm going to go to as many trials as I can with Lou, with the grande finale being the Western Canadian/CBCA Championships in Cranbrook in the fall. He just turned 9 and his days of pounding up the big hills are certainly dwindling. I hope that he'll be able to do most of the smaller field trials for a few more years, but those 600+ yd gathers are going to be a bit beyond him soon.

For Rex, my perpetual puppy, I hope to move him to Open later this year, and possibly run him in Cranbrook too. He still has a bit of tension and moments of panic, but I like what I'm seeing from him. He tries his crazy heart out for me. On a non-herding note, Rex will be making his agility debut in the next month or so. He has been so much fun to train in agility - I can't wait for his maiden voyage.

On a me note, I'm going to Wales next week to hang with some nice sheepdog people, maybe run someone's dog at a trial, help out with some lambing ... it's kind of a sheepdog pilgrimage. Hoping to get a deeper understanding of these wonderful dogs.

Oh, gosh, let's see ... I'm going to Sonoma Wine Country in two weeks. Try not to embarrass my dog too badly. Have been saving for 2 years and will be going to visit friends in England for the first two weeks of April. Geri Byrne has a trial in May that I'd like to go to, if I can.

Plus, I *hope* I can go to Lacamas again this year, but dang, gas prices are getting scary! I also put in to volunteer for the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals, but now I'm worried whether I can afford travel expenses. :( So, we'll see on that. I dearly want to go help out!

Otherwise, my goals are closer to home. I want to improve as a handler, and to bring my Nick further along in his potential. He'll be 3 on May 2nd. I want to improve our shedding and get stronger on our drives. He's actually doing nicely at the latter, so it's on me to improve my handling.

I also want to bring my little Gael along, now that she's working well. My local trainer said she's "a handler's dog," sensitive enough that the wrong person or handling could mess her up. Gael has tons of talent and keenness, but she is an odd little baggage, kind of nervous and speedy. However, she's finally at a point where she's taking the pressure of corrections well (she's a year and a half) so now I can begin fine-tuning her stops and flanks. It would be fun to see if I can get her ready for Nursery in 2012. :)

And ... I guess I just hope to keep growing and learning as a trainer/handler. These pups are my first open-field quality dogs, so not only am I trying to train them to Open level, I'm trying to learn to train them. B) So that's my main goal - get better at it.

~ Gloria

This year, I'm going to accept Nick for the dog he is, admit that he has certain flaws/traits that just won't ever be "fixed" and I should just work with and around them. We made our very unsuccessful Pro-Nov debut this winter, and we'll continue trying to have better runs. I seem to have a trialling record of either having a total disaster or winning, so I figure our next run should be pretty good, right? :) I'm not sure Nick will ever make an Open dog, but that's okay. He's my right-hand man & go-to dog around here- I have yet to find a job he can't get done- this dog has absolutely zero quit. I don't have the money or time to make it to many trials, but I'll do some of the local small ones, maybe a few bigger ones. My goal is get Nick around the PN course at the Lacamas SDT in August.

Hoot continues to amaze me with just how nice he works. He's just 18 months, and he's had to fill in as "main dog" while Nick was laid up. There have been a few things I've had to leave to someone else to do because Hoot just couldn't handle it yet, but he's done pretty well. The idea of lambing with a young dog was pretty scary, but Hoot handled it with flying colors. He's just so nice to his stock- even the ewes with little lambs move well for him. I did have a revelation this week that maybe I'm pushing his little brain a bit too hard, so I've taken a step back and slowed things down, and we've made more progress already. Hoot also calmed way down at home when I quit putting so much training pressure on him. I might try him a Nursery class or two at a local trial this summer, but if he's not ready, I'll wait.

As for me, I hope I'll learn to whistle my flank commands this year (I've got walk-up and lie down so far). I'm panning on reviving the Lopez Island SDT this fall (last one was 10+ years ago). Nothing big, but it'll be a start.

To have my ag program at Wolftown survive this economy.

To keep everything going with our heads still on straight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweep the Broom- keep trialing and having fun-- his first n/c open is this Sat.....

Taw- To take over Cap and Gunny's work- something she is doing pretty well.

Gunny and Cap- to keep them comfortable, and happy.

Most of this will have to be local trialing as I have to be conservative in the $

Luckily there are trials about twice a month in WA state.

My goals are mostly to keep my dogs fit, and get myself fit this year. I finally figured out last year that on some of the bigger courses my dogs were struggling because they were not fit enough. I plan to change that, and in the process change it for me too. I doubt I'll be able to afford to trial much this year, so mostly I want to keep them in better physical condition for when we CAN trial. I'd like to get Linc moved up to Open Ranch this year - but some of that will depend on my ability to put some mileage on him, which may depend on gas prices and such.

Well I hope I can call my Táta a "good farmhand" this fall. She should be able by them to help round up the free range sheep with their lambs by then.

Maybe, maaaybe I´d take her on a trial, there is one planned end august not to far from here, but frankly that would be exceeding expectations (hey, one can dream...).

Keep plugging away with the young knotheads (and their dogs too! :P )

Get the fencing finished if the boat from NZ ever delivers the fencing! Buy some cows (seeking donations!)and increase the goat herd.

Plans for Sept to go to the World Trial and support the handlers there and enjoy visiting with Japan's first team. Enjoy some Scotch wiskey and relax while there (OK, keep too busy)

My post disappeared :( - so apologize to those who have to re-read this. I'll try to change it up a bit to make it more interesting ;).

My main goal this year is to get Jet ready for and into a Pro-Novice trial, the one I'm looking at now is in June. She's only done a couple of non-competes as a baby (and was NOT ready for those) and now that she's three, I'm glad I didn't have the $$ to try to make her a Nursery dog. She really need to learn to relax and be workmanlike instead of "Whee!!" all the time. I like "Whee!" in a young dog, and she still has more than her share of it, but the brain is engaged now, which is nice. I think we would have had to have too many pace/stop battles to trial her in Nursery respectively and she really needed to build her trust in me. She finally does have a steady, although she has to be asked for it. Forget to ask her for it (and ask, not boss it for best results!) and it's turbo-dog again.

My handling needs improvement, especially in consistency and staying calm. Louder is rarely better, especially with Jet who will listen to soft commands but totally disregard you if you start hollerin' at her. There is not an ounce of sulk in her, but the ears will get cranky and suddenly deaf as she takes the sheep where she damn well pleases if I'm going to act like that. I need to feel more comfortable with a faster pace, too much stopping wrecks her flow and looks ugly but keeping her on her feet but softer wins the day. She's done her part on learning to relax and be workmanlike, I need to do the same.

Outside of actual working, there are more sheepdoggin' folks in our area, although a little too AKC-friendly for my taste for the most part. However, beggars can't be choosers (and I mean that in a community-way, not a making money way ;)), and I hope that I can help improve the area's resources when it comes to working dogs and sheep knowledge through possibly hosting clinics or fun trials without directly contributing to anti-border collie activities. Will be a bit of a balancing act!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have my puppy Loki have his herding debute with his littermates in July at Williams (I think), do as much training with Loki as I can afford, and perhaps talk 4 yr old Rose out of gripping so darn much. Rose came from a shelter 3 yrs ago as a fearful, nippy dog and still thinks all sheep should be bit. Oh well, she's a great couch potato!

This year I plan to run my 2yr old Meg in a few nursery classes. I could have done that last year, but I chose to wait and not push her. She was my main helper when Floss was on the mend last year, so I'm excited about what this year will bring. Get Floss back in shape for open, and improve on my handling so I don't annoy my dogs. Wisp will be unhappy as she has been retired from trialing due to her declining hearing, but she still gets to help at home. I'm also looking forward to running my friend's dog Zuri.

Of course we still have snow on the ground which means that its been impossible to do anything and our first trial is in May at Three Sisters. I'm getting nervous already!

Samantha

Jaime, ain't it almost a crime that Nevada has no USBCHA trainers or trials? All these wide-open spaces, and yet I think there are exactly 3 USBCHA trialers in the state: you, me and a friend out of Reno. :P

We got Dianne Deal down for a weekend of lessons not long ago, and that was wonderful! Karen Child will be down next weekend, and someone else is FINALLY getting Patrick Shannahan down in April, but ... we're still not magically turning into "Border Collie Country." AKC, ASCA and AHBA are what we've got.

~ Gloria

Archived