BC Boards

Full Border Collie?

Hi! I rescued Fame from the SPCA about two months ago. She is now 4 months old. They said she is a mix but i cant seem to see any other type of dog in her. However, i dont know enough about dogs to know. What do you guys think?

The first Photo is her in 4 months

the second is at about 2 months

I need to get one of her from the side but she usually wont stay still for that long! lol

post-11275-1278567070_thumb.jpg

post-11275-1278567442_thumb.jpg

There's no way to know if she's purebred or not. If you really wanted to find other breeds in there, you probably could. But she certainly looks enough like a border collie that you could call her that and no one should take issue with it.

She's adorable.

J.

Looks like a border collie to me! Given the fact that people often misidentify pure bred BC's as other breeds, you could probably drop the mix and get little argument from anyone. Good luck, those ears are fantastic!

My full bc has the greatest off button. It's my bc/terrier mix that drives me insane.

:rolleyes: You beat me to it. I was going to say my two border collies have a WAY better off button than my bc/possibly pit mix. Although he has gotten much, much better, that dude had zero off switch when he was younger.

If she isn't a full-blooded Border Collie, she is at least a Borderline Collie. :rolleyes: Whatever she is, she's adorable.

There will be three sure signs to watch for as she gets older to determine if she is full-blooded BC:

- As Carol indicated, she has no "off" button.

- When she runs, she sounds like a thundering herd of elephants.

- When she lies down, she sounds like a sack of rocks being dropped on the floor.

- When she lies down, she sounds like a sack of rocks being dropped on the floor.

Can't agree on any of those.

All my pure bred bordercollies ages 4-13 have had off buttons from the time they came here because that's what I expect.

Mick sounds like a herd of elephants when he runs but he's not put together very well, Raven doesn't make a sound when she runs, I often wonder if she is flying :rolleyes:

the same one that sounds like a herd of elephants really plops down hard when he lays down but the rest are quite dainty and you don't normaly hear them do much of anything.

You could maybe tell if you put her to sheep and see how her style is but even then there's a huge difference in working dogs. Mick is very stylish when he works but Dew his half sis is way more upright and not very stylish.

I'd skip genetic testing as I haven't seen any that are accurate yet!

If you want her to be full border collie, then by all means call her that. If you don't care then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd just call her darn cute!

she certainly looks enough like a border collie that you could call her that and no one should take issue with it.

However, as pretty much everyone here can attest, you could have a 100% border collie with documented pedigree straight back to Wiston's Cap, and total strangers would still stop you on a regular basis to explain that your dog is actually a rottweiler-beagle cross, a coyote hybrid, a dalmation, or pretty much anything but a border collie, and they will feel so strongly about it that you will be unable to esape without enduring a tedious argument. So if you don't like arguing with strangers, I suggest when in public that you simply call your dog a mutt.

A dog without an off switch is a dog without an owner who cares enough to train and develop a relationship with the dog. Breed is irrelevant.

And Bustopher, I think you forgot to turn down your hearing aid :rolleyes:

The best way to determine whether or not she's 100% Border collie is by her behavior. If she has no off button, she's all Border collie.

Mine has an off-button and he's a very well-bred Border Collie. A dog with no off-button is a combination of crap breeding and/or crap training (mostly the latter) in my opinion.

Even when he was a pup (and an absolute monster), I still instilled an off-button in him.

Now if you're going to say, it's by behavior and you refer to herding crouches, the eye, etc, that's different. But a good dog of any breed will have an off-button.

:rolleyes: You beat me to it. I was going to say my two border collies have a WAY better off button than my bc/possibly pit mix. Although he has gotten much, much better, that dude had zero off switch when he was younger.

My pit has a HUGE off-button. As in, she's off 99% of the time in the house, but outside, watch out. She doesn't have the quite endurance (but it's close) that Mick does, but she's an athlete.

She's a flirt pole and tug maniac. I was going to build her a spring pole, but I'm going to be moving into a rental house shortly, and I think that might get misconstrued by a landlord. One thing that gets her so ramped up is I crouch down and go, "wuz up little girl?" and she'll come charging at me, even if she's across a football field at top speed. I don't yell it, I just say it. And she comes running up the wiggliest, happiest little girl ever and plops down at my feet. If only Mick had her recall.

If she isn't a full-blooded Border Collie, she is at least a Borderline Collie. :rolleyes: Whatever she is, she's adorable.

There will be three sure signs to watch for as she gets older to determine if she is full-blooded BC:

Not necessarily, Mick runs and lies down very quietly. I joke that he's my coyote dog, because he tends to walk around very quiet, slinky and feral acting. Now if he sees people/dogs walking past the house, then it's a full-out lunging at the windows (if inside) or end of the chain (if outside) snarling with his hackles up.

Walking him this afternoon somebody actually said they were surprised at how nice he was, because he always acts so mean from the house. That's my Mick. He's like the bad kid that the teachers always think is such a polite little boy.

Yeah, so do all of the pits I know. Must be something in the mix. :rolleyes:

My aikido sensei has one we nicknamed "Marshmallow Man." A big white pit that just hangs out in the dojo sleeping on the couch, while there's people getting thrown all around him.

Archived