BC Boards

Appropriate response needed

Alchemist

OK, so I'm not one of those individuals who always knows the right thing to say. And I'm a lousy poker player - my face can be read like a book.

So, here we were at the next-to-the-last "Control Unleashed" class last Friday night. The trainer is complimenting us on how well Duncan is doing. We've been working on the "Look at That!" command, and he's gotten to the point where he's almost oblivious to the other dogs - doesn't stare at them or whimper because he wants to play with them, is just happy to focus on us and whatever we're asking him to do. Most of the time, anyway.

After complimenting him, she asks me what we're thinking of doing next. I say we're not really sure... She then asks whether we're thinking of starting him on sheep. I ask whether she knows any trainers she'd recommend.

She says "oh, why don't you try so-and-so - she's heard they're really good - and besides, they were the person who used to train Jon Katz's dog".

I didn't have half an hour to explain my instinctive gag reflex, because the trainer needed to turn her attention to the other dogs. So here's my question: what would YOU have said? (I wanted to keep the tone pleasant: I've really enjoyed this "Control Unleashed" class).

It depends on whether you were appalled by the Jon Katz reference or by that particular trainer. (Both qualify, of course...)

Susan

More the former - though an association with JK alone would be more than sufficient incentive to stay away from that trainer, I'm still hesitant to judge a trainer without having met them. (I wouldn't know, for example, how much might just have been "filtered" through JK). Of course one could argue that I shouldn't rag on JK at all, not having read any of his books (which also makes it harder for me to judge his trainer). Of course... nothing I've read OF them makes me even remotely inclined to want to read them.

I did try to make a response about not being thrilled about Orson's fate. My "Control Unleashed" trainer got defensive, saying she'd been in his position with a dog that bit. Yeah. BUT. Anyway, I felt as if my answer was a bit lame, which is why I'm soliciting input.

I guess my response would wind up being something along the lines of explaining that I am not a fan of Jon Katz and why, and simply that I would prefer to go to a quality trainer of real working dogs rather than a trainer of "hobby herders". I tend to be pretty blunt on this subject, and it has ruffled feathers at times, but it's honest.

Since discretion is the better part of valor, you could always keep the waters calm by simply saying, "Thank you for your suggestion, but I already have an Open USBCHA trainer in mind should I decide to start him on sheep." That would allow your obedience trainer an opening to ask, and you an opportunity to respond nicely - or allow your obedience trainer to proceed blissfully unaware.

And there are some excellent trainers available within a reasonable distance of you, I am sure. You can always ask here for suggestions or ask for PMs.

Best wishes!

Oh, maybe something along the lines of "thanks, but with all his ortho issues he won't be seeing sheep" no need to go into the pro's or con's of JK's trainer.

He's actually doing well of late. All the efforts to build up muscle mass to stabilize his hips seem to be helping - the regimen of Adequan, Dasuquin, Rimadyl (plus milk thistle), lots of walks, and underwater treadmill seem to be paying off. He's progressed to 1.5-hour long off-leash walks (well, we walk, he runs), and hourlong romps on the wooded hill out back. At the ortho vet's recommendation, we've also started him accompanying us in bike riding. VERY carefully at first, only at a fast walk, on unpaved surfaces, and for very limited durations - ten minutes out and ten minutes back at first, to be gradually increased over time. So far no visible lameness since letting him play in the deep snow over the winter (and then only slightly lame for a day or so). So we're beginning to start to give thought to what we can do to provide him with some mental stimulation. The "Control Unleashed" trainer knows this. Still - I'm leaning toward rally obedience for now.

First, though, I have to see whether the Icelandic volcano will allow me to return home from Europe...

I'd probably just smile and say, "I'll keep that in mind."

Keep Kelpie Girl's sign-off in mind too... :rolleyes:

Weird. This is something like the fourth time I've tried to respond to Geonni, but my reply keeps vanishing in the ether.

This is where I'm at a disadvantage by not having a good poker face. I'd already visibly grimaced.

I love Kelpie Girl's sign-off. I keep something similar in my mind a lot at work (which, sadly, isn't as enlightened an environment as it might be...).

Dear Trainers,

When I was reviewing Mr. Katz's books (pre-Orson) I wondered about the trainer he had praised so highly. She was a civilian so I didn't mention her in my review and won't here.

Last week, at the Volhard's pet dog training camp a woman said she had signed her Old English Sheepdog for an outing at the trainer's farm.

I know, I know . . . This was an Old English Sheepdog with a stone novice handler.

I wished her well. I hoped she'd have fun.

Donald McCaig

CU Trainer: Oh, why don't you try so-and-so - I've heard she's really good - and besides, she was the person who used to train Jon Katz's dog.

Me: Thanks for the suggestion, but I never got the sense that that turned out well. I'd rather look around for a trainer who has some success stories to point to. Do you know of any dogs she's successfully trained -- like to Open level?

CU Trainer: Oh, why don't you try so-and-so - I've heard she's really good - and besides, she was the person who used to train Jon Katz's dog.

Me: Thanks for the suggestion, but I never got the sense that that turned out well. I'd rather look around for a trainer who has some success stories to point to. Do you know of any dogs she's successfully trained -- like to Open level?

Eileen, that's the perfect response! Thanks for sharing that.

Ruth

Eileen: that's absolutely perfect. It even covers my grimace ("didn't get the sense that that turned out so well"), while not forcing me to read the book so that I can provide details.

Archived