BC Boards

Lamb Recipes

jdarling

I thought we could start a thread that lists some lamb recipes that people have tried and liked.

Here's one that I did yesterday. I took it from the Lava Lake Lamb blog, which is a sheep ranch in Eastern Idaho. It was wonderful!

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Liz Mitchell, Hailey, Idaho

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb Ingredients

1 cup dry red wine

3/4 cup soy sauce

4 large cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

1 butterflied leg of lamb (about 4-5 pounds)

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb Directions

Combine marinade ingredients and pour over the lamb in a shallow glass baking pan. Refrigerate 6 hours, turning occasionally. When ready to grill, remove lamb from marinade and reserve the liquid. Grill lamb approximately 20 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the marinade. Check lamb for doneness after approximately 30 minutes grilling. Cut into thin slices and serve immediately. Serves 8.

I thought we could start a thread that lists some lamb recipes that people have tried and liked.

Here's one that I did yesterday. I took it from the Lava Lake Lamb blog, which is a sheep ranch in Eastern Idaho. It was wonderful!

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Liz Mitchell, Hailey, Idaho

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb Ingredients

1 cup dry red wine

3/4 cup soy sauce

4 large cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

1 butterflied leg of lamb (about 4-5 pounds)

Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb Directions

Combine marinade ingredients and pour over the lamb in a shallow glass baking pan. Refrigerate 6 hours, turning occasionally. When ready to grill, remove lamb from marinade and reserve the liquid. Grill lamb approximately 20 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the marinade. Check lamb for doneness after approximately 30 minutes grilling. Cut into thin slices and serve immediately. Serves 8.

Cool! I've got one big!!! butterflied leg that I need to grill for my family to convert them to the yumminess of lamb. This recipe might fit the bill. I have a recently butchered freezer lamb with every possible cut of meat left in my freezer, so hopefully will get lots more recipes from people in this thread. I especially would like to know if anyone has a good shoulder roast recipe, because the the last few times I've tried it, I haven't been too amazed by the results.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm going to real soon...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/r...and-beef-gyros/

edited to add: I'm not much of a blogger or photographer, but have been seriously thinking of documenting my current freezer lamb meals on a weekly basis. I need to learn some food photography first, I think.

Grilled butterflied leg of lamb - or grilled chops - is one of our favorite ways of eating lamb. (For some reason, though, we always roast a leg of lamb on Easter). It's our main course of choice to serve whenever we have a crowd of people over, or whenever DH or I are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or such. We've gotten in a rut with the recipe below, so I'll definitely have to try Jodi's approach.

We make a marinade out of lemon juice, soy sauce, minced garlic, a little olive oil, lots of fresh rosemary (chopped), and then we make a mix of about 2 parts whole peppercorns to one part dried rosemary plus one part whole coriander seeds, whirred up in a spice grinder (old coffee grinder repurposed for spices). We first mix the lemon juice, garlic, herbs and spices, then add the soy sauce until it's a nice brown color and has a good "tang" to it, neither too lemony nor tasting too strongly of soy sauce; it's usually a medium brown color at that point. I just do it by eye but I'd guess it's about two parts lemon juice to one part soy sauce. Finally add a little olive oil. I can't give exact proportions on anything because how much marinade you need depends on how much lamb you're preparing.

Trim off as much fat as possible from the lamb (to keep the grill from flaring up) and marinade anywhere from half an hour to half a day, depending on how well organized you are!

The best lamb chops I've ever eaten are at Vij's, a fabulous Indian restaurant here in Vancouver. The sauce is a little fussy but so worth it! I serve it on a coconut jasmine rice. I buy freezer lamb from my friend's farm, where the lambs are quite small (compared to what you get in the store) so their little chops work perfectly in this recipe.

Marinated Lamb Popsicles in Fenugreek Curry

Lamb

1/4 cup sweet white wine

3/4 cup grainy yellow mustard

1 tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

4 Ibs French-cut racks of lamb, in chops

Curry Sauce

4 cups whipping cream

1 Tbsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp dried green fenugreek leaves

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 to 4 Tbsp canola oil

3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic

1 tsp turmeric

Lamb

Combine wine, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lamb and coat well with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

Curry Sauce

In a large bowl, combine cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice. Heat 3 to 4 Tbsp of the oil in a medium pot on medium heat and saute garlic until golden. Stir in turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cream mixture and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it is gently boiling.

Finish Lamb

Preheat a stove-top cast iron grill or barbeque to high heat. Place lamb on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

To Serve

Serve popsicles piping hot off the grill. Depending on their size, place 4 to 5 lamb popsicles on each plate. Pour the cream curry over the meat or ladle it into a small bowl and use it as a dipping sauce for the popsicles.

Recipe with picture

One of our favorite ways to cook lamb for a crowd (as in more than the 2 of us) is marinated and grilled.

For just the 2 of us, I pan-saute a lamb steak or two lamb chops. OK, we're getting old and can't eat near as much as we used to eat. I smash a bunch of garlic cloves and harvest a bunch of rosemary from out back. I smush some them onto both sides of the lamb - reserving most of them for the sauce. I trim as much of the fat as I can - the dog and cat go crazy to get that. Olive oil in a cast iron spider - medium high. Put the meat in - about 2-3 minutes each side. Then pour in a bit of Marsala - re vermouth would do. Take out the meat quickly- that was just for a bit of flavor - and put it on a platter in a warm oven. Add a good healthy dollop of marsala and the rest of the garlic and rosemary, and cook it down, scraping any nirdles from the pan. Pour that over the meat. To be really decadent, as you "reduce" the wine sauce, ad a dollop of real cream.

I also do lamb-burgers. I use 4 ounces of ground lamb for each burger. Mixed with smashed garlic & some rosemary - maybe ground pepper. Again, a cast iron spider with olive oil at medium high. About 3 minutes on the first side, Flip and top each burger with a slice of swiss cheese. Cover the pan and cook about 2 minutes (we like our meats rare).

We usually serve lamb with rice pilaf or risotto. And salad or sauteed veggies. And red wine.

Lamb burgers (ground lamb mixed 50/50 with ground beef works best for me) seasoned with Indian spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, onion) is one of my favorite ways to eat lamb but North African flavors do amazing things to lamb so here's another favorite.

Mrouzia

2 teaspoons ras-el-hanout (translated roughly as "top of the shelf" it's a mix of about 20 spices and herbs - works in desserts too so worth tracking down - it's magic stuff)

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads

3 cups water

3 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 large onion, coarsely grated (1 cup)

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 1/4 cups raisins

1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds

1/2 cup honey

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Accompaniment: couscous (but rice works and so would boiled new potatoes)

Whisk together ras-el-hanout, salt, pepper, ginger, saffron, and 1 cup water in a 5-quart heavy pot. Stir in lamb, remaining 2 cups water, onion, garlic, cinnamon sticks, and butter and simmer, covered, until lamb is just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in raisins, almonds, honey, and ground cinnamon and simmer, covered, until meat is very tender, about 30 minutes more.

Uncover pot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until stew is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes more.

(I made this with dried apricots and dried cranberries instead of the raisins and it was awesome! Also, I'd cut the honey by half or it might be too sweet for most tastes.)

Lamb burgers (ground lamb mixed 50/50 with ground beef works best for me) seasoned with Indian spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, onion) is one of my favorite ways to eat lamb but North African flavors do amazing things to lamb so here's another favorite.

Wow, looks amazing! I think I'll have to try that with my shoulder roasts. I need to probably get that and the leg out of my freezer before summer because my freezer is a little wimpy when it hits 105 or so (my A/C sucks too)

If you want your lamb burgers in hearty rolls with all the fixings, the lamb & beef mix would be great. I have to try that for my Hatch green chili cheeseburgers.

But I serve my lamb-burgers with pilaf on the side. No rolls. It's a more "elegant" burger. And the taste is all lamb.

We just had leg of lamb tonight. I took it frozen from the freezer and cooked 4 hours in a hammered aluminum pan (from mom). DH just cooked potatoes, onions, celery and carrots. He made the gravy so I don't know what seasonings he used. The lamb had a good flavor on its own so didn't need too much. Yum; yum.

Archived