BC Boards

Yuck - Ticks already?

Triple Yuck :D

This morning at 6:00 am and before my second cup of coffee I found a Tick on Spyder :rolleyes:

What the heck - it was 26 Fahrenheit out this morning!!!!!!!!

Where are theese little devils coming from????????????

Tonight EVERYONE in getting a dose of Natures Guardian

Last year I did not have to until the end of April, beginning of May!!!!!!!

Anyone else seeing the critters already?

I Frontlined at the beginning of last week, after finding a tick on MYSELF. Ugh. I hate them. And while I won't complain about our beautiful warmer-than-usual March weather, I will complain that it brought the ticks out several weeks earlier than usual.

They are hearty buggers -- even the Wisconsin winters can't kill them.

We're using Frontline at the moment for fleas and ticks. Last year we used Vectra 3D but Duncan absolutely hated it. Acted totally weird for a full day each time we administered it. I've spotted ticks on him with Vectra 3D but not with Frontline. But I'm not certain that this really counts as a "controlled experiment", as he was on Vectra through the worst of tick season.

We live in Tick Central, USA, so I feel the risk associated with any chemicals is less than the risk associated with tick-borne disease. Duncan has also been immunized for Lyme disease; the vet said that he sees a very large number of cases of it each year.

My neighbor hates to use chemicals so is just giving her dog garlic tablets. I've expressed my concerns, but to each his (or her) own.

The blue merle aussie gets sprayed with an herbal flea spray and wears an herbal collar. A few years back I stopped using Frontline on her because she developed these odd watery cysts after applying it. She has allergies and seems to have odd reactions to any kind of chemical. I may have found one tick on her last year.

Right now both Chase and her are wearing the herbal flea collars. Last year they were both on Revolution and I had no flea problems. Chase did have a few ticks. They have a vet appointment in a couple of weeks, with a new vet so I'm interested to see what they recommend.

I want to try to stay away from any kind of spot-on treatment if I can but not opposed to using Frontline on Chase if I have to. I have never used it on Chase but used it on other dogs (besides the aussie) with seemingly no adverse effects. I won't use it on the aussie though.

Pulled a dog tick off Buddy on February 15. Frontline seems to be useless here now - so I use K9 Advantix. Mostly, it keeps ticks off for 6 weeks, so I don't dose as often as they say. Late April/early May seem to be the very worst time here, and then again in early fall.

I also hate ticks. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

My vet said that something like 50% of the dogs here test positive for Lyme.

Mary

The blue merle aussie gets sprayed with an herbal flea spray and wears an herbal collar. A few years back I stopped using Frontline on her because she developed these odd watery cysts after applying it. She has allergies and seems to have odd reactions to any kind of chemical. I may have found one tick on her last year.

Right now both Chase and her are wearing the herbal flea collars. Last year they were both on Revolution and I had no flea problems. Chase did have a few ticks. They have a vet appointment in a couple of weeks, with a new vet so I'm interested to see what they recommend.

I want to try to stay away from any kind of spot-on treatment if I can but not opposed to using Frontline on Chase if I have to. I have never used it on Chase but used it on other dogs (besides the aussie) with seemingly no adverse effects. I won't use it on the aussie though.

I just put both my dogs on Revolution. I think it is only good against dog ticks. Nothing else. I don't have a tick problem here so its not an issue.

Ticks have become a fact of life here. We have them year around, although they are worse in the summer during monsoon. I have tried *everything* to get rid of them and nothing works. At one time I was doing all of the following at once:

spraying the yard weekly

refusing to allow any weeds or grass to grow in the yard at all

advantix monthly on both dogs

weekly washing and treatment of their bedding

weekly tick shampoo baths

daily plucking of ticks from dogs

garlic in their food

.....................................and I was still pulling ticks off the dogs every day. I stopped doing all of those things and the number of ticks that I was pulling off the dogs daily neither increased nor decreased. Conclucion: everything I was doing made no difference. So now I just pull ticks off the dogs when I find them, which is every day.

This has been the same in all 3 places I have lived here, although I went to very elaborate precautions to attempt to avoid transporting any ticks with us when we moved.

I sure wish there were something that would work to keep them off but I have not found it. I know other people who just use Frontline or Advantix and never have a tick, so I do not know why my dogs have them. I have followed every piece of advice I have ever gotten, even the ones that sounded ridiculous, and I am still open to anyone's suggestion if I haven't already tried it.

I can't even hate them any more. When you simply have to deal with something so regularly, you cannot afford to spend the energy to hate them. You just have to deal with it. :rolleyes:

Archived