BC Boards

Grrrr, spay surgery delay out of my control

Guest echoica

Guest echoica

So, my rescue gal, Rikku, is coming on 6 months now. I had her spay surgery booked for tomorrow as the SPCA gives out a certificate for the surgery at the appropriate time. Well, I have been waiting over a month now for the papers...and it's still not ready...apparently. Seriously, how hard can it really be to fill out the ONE-PAGE form? I know how busy the shelter can be but I do not have the resources at this time to pay for the whole surgery myself. With the certificate I only pay part. So, here lies my concern...I WANT IT DONE BEFORE SHE GOES IN HEAT. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. I have rescheduled the appointment for another month from now and she will be just over 6.5 months. My question is this...should I worry? When have your unaltered bitches had their first heat? I did a forum search but the discussions typically involve lecturing potential byb'rs as opposed to outright answering the question :rolleyes: And I have ZERO intent of ever breeding...so...:D

That's odd. The shelters I know, upon adoption, the certificate is given out in the paper work.

The longer you wait the higher the chance of going into heat.

So, my rescue gal, Rikku, is coming on 6 months now. I had her spay surgery booked for tomorrow as the SPCA gives out a certificate for the surgery at the appropriate time. Well, I have been waiting over a month now for the papers...and it's still not ready...apparently. Seriously, how hard can it really be to fill out the ONE-PAGE form? I know how busy the shelter can be but I do not have the resources at this time to pay for the whole surgery myself. With the certificate I only pay part. So, here lies my concern...I WANT IT DONE BEFORE SHE GOES IN HEAT. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS. I have rescheduled the appointment for another month from now and she will be just over 6.5 months. My question is this...should I worry? When have your unaltered bitches had their first heat? I did a forum search but the discussions typically involve lecturing potential byb'rs as opposed to outright answering the question :rolleyes: And I have ZERO intent of ever breeding...so...:D

Guest echoica
That's odd. The shelters I know, upon adoption, the certificate is given out in the paper work.

The longer you wait the higher the chance of going into heat.

Well, technically, I did not adopt her from the SPCA. She was on route though. A friend of a friend, who I don't know personally, was getting rid of her and I was told of her plight (she got her as a gift!!!) so I took her before she even made it through the doors of the shelter. Because I was looking for a BC or BC-mix for months though rescue with no luck. I applied for a low-cost spay certificate in November '09 - a program they have available here - and was approved a couple of weeks later. The official pick-up date that is was supposed to be available was January 15 '10.

why not just go to the shelter? say you are there to pick up the paper and if it's still not ready say you are happy to wait till they get it.... ?

I know the clinic's in my area have an agreement with the spca here, all you need is the case # in order to recieve the discount. Have you checked with your clinic to see if they are willing to give you the discount without the form?

Guest echoica
why not just go to the shelter? say you are there to pick up the paper and if it's still not ready say you are happy to wait till they get it.... ?

I know the clinic's in my area have an agreement with the spca here, all you need is the case # in order to recieve the discount. Have you checked with your clinic to see if they are willing to give you the discount without the form?

already showed up unannounced and calling daily for updates. i am sure i am annoying them at this point. already asked the vet. no certificate, no go unless i want to pay the full price (can't) :rolleyes: apparently the spca girl responsible for the program is away for a couple of weeks...but still you would think there is a back-up. i mean, the whole point for the spay/neuter program is to avoid litters to reduce pet overpopulation. kind of a serious matter!!..you wouldn't want to have delays of this magnitude. they work hard...and many kudos to them for that...it's just really frustrating when i had this all planned out and had been approved so long ago :D

I was in a pickle for funds and so Ido's first heat came before I was able to spay her. She was just at 11 months at the time.

Monkey's situation was a bit different, as I technically didn't officially own her until she was a year, and she came into heat right around 10mo.

From what I've gathered, it is more common for the smaller breeds to go into heat sooner than larger breeds. Larger dogs develop slower, so I guess this makes sense. I've heard speculation about other influences--such as unaltered males in your area marking--can bring a female into heat sooner...but I really don't know if thats baloney or not. An unaltered female dog will go into heat every 6 months, so its reasonable to assume your girl will get her first heat between 6mo-12mo...though I have not seen/heard of a dog going into heat sooner than 10months...

Guest echoica
I was in a pickle for funds and so Ido's first heat came before I was able to spay her. She was just at 11 months at the time.

Monkey's situation was a bit different, as I technically didn't officially own her until she was a year, and she came into heat right around 10mo.

From what I've gathered, it is more common for the smaller breeds to go into heat sooner than larger breeds. Larger dogs develop slower, so I guess this makes sense. I've heard speculation about other influences--such as unaltered males in your area marking--can bring a female into heat sooner...but I really don't know if thats baloney or not. An unaltered female dog will go into heat every 6 months, so its reasonable to assume your girl will get her first heat between 6mo-12mo...though I have not seen/heard of a dog going into heat sooner than 10months...

Thanks Sarah for the info! :rolleyes: My brother's BC went into heat before they got her fixed as well but it was at 7.5-8 months. I am probably just worrying too much...I just don't want her to have to go through that unnecessarily.

The intact Border Collie bitches that I have owned typically don't come into heat for the first time until they are 12 months or a little older.

Kathy

I would ask whoever is in charge of the shelter if someone else can write this certificate out for you . Its really a no brainer to fill out. Explain your situation and your concern about your dog coming into heat and that you dont have the extra funds right now to pay for the surgery and you were counting on getting the certificate to help pay for it.

Soemone in that shelter will understand and help you out. See if there are any other adopters in the shelter and see what they are told about getting a certificate to help defer the cost of spay and neutering their adopted dogs and how long it takes to get one. I would be interested to know what they tell other people about this , and if others had a hard time getting one of those certificates. Im not saying it could be a scam , but you never know .

Our Emma was almost 10 months old when she went into heat. She was spayed last Friday and she is got another week of bed rest according to the vet instructions, and her incision looks perfect. The 24th of this month she will be 1 year old. We oped for the 55.00 blood work just to have an idea of whats going on in her body any issues to look out for but all was good. Cost $218.00 total.

My older pup came into heat a bit after her 1st birthday. I have had this discussion numerous times as when to desex your dogs, if you can get past the "nuisance" of being on heat then there is nothing to worry about if she comes on heat before they get their act together. But it will be a while away anyhow. As long as you can lock her away where she is safe then you have nothing to worry about, not much changes when they are in heat.

Archived