BC Boards

120 lb. border collie?

Many JQ Public members think food = love. No surprise there.

Sadly, that's all too true. In fact I'm married to someone with that way of thinking and have a running battle to ensure that the dogs don't get too many snacks and treats. Odd that since my wife went to our daughter's place to help with the new baby, I have noticed that the dogs' teeth are looking so much cleaner.

A while back, I had a visit from a potential adopter -- a very nice couple -- but they brought their female border collie with them and that poor girl must have been at least 80lbs. Admittedly, the dog was on sedatives because of seizure issues, but it couldn't have been helping her to that much overweight. I had to report back that I wouldn't adopt out my foster to them.

Yep...my Mom is a "feeder". she now has small dogs, a pap and another small dog. I watched her feed them each a whole peice of string cheese and that was after their reg. dinner, when I say something she tells me I can feed my dogs the way I want and she is going to feed her dogs the way she wants and just keep my mouth shut. That coming from a lady who loved her sheltie and most likely fed her to death. When Maggie her overweight sheltie died, I think she weighed about 35# when she should have weighed 15. She has another rescue sheltie that is near 40#. And swears she doesn't over feed.

Sad but I've tried so long that I just don't think she's gonna change. I won't let her feed my dogs at all. If I leave any with her I make sure my Dad feeds them cause he'll do it just the way I say.

Jazz was getting pretty fluffy (ok not as big as the dog in that article) when I switched to raw. She dropped all her extra weight and didn't feel hungry while it was coming off. Maybe the atkins diet for dogs? Same for her litter mate bro owed by my DD. He was so big that he was having a hard time getting around. Now that he's back here and DD is home from AF training, Iraq and everything else that took her away from her dog, he's lost most of his extra weight and I notice that his poo eating issues are starting to fade. Good food goes a long way. To bad someone can't get me to eat like that, I'd probably lose the extra weight too!

we have dogs like that at the kennel..we have one..this cocker spanial ..his body is twice as wide as his head..he can hardly move or breath..and they feed him a crazy amount..when he first came in, we were told "2 cups a day" well that sounds reasonable..then she came back with a note the next time saying that our cups are not big enough fror him and included her own version of 1 "cup" you know the biggest slurpee cups you can get at 7/11? 1 of those..she feeds him 2 of those giant slurpee cups a day! the dogs poor vet has probably has no idea that when his owner says she feed "2 cups a day" that in reality she is feeding him about 8 cups a day.

The amount of food being fed just floors me. When I was a dogwalker/petsitter I saw more over weight labs, rotties, and goldens...they looked like bloody ottmans, and coffetables walking around. Really made me sad, my gang on raw/kibble rotation gets 1lb/day raw or approx 2 -2 1/2 c kibble depending on the day and activity level of each dog and their lean, not so mean agility machines

I see this way too often. Dogs that are as big as that Border are commonplace in kennels. Its quite disgusting actually, i don't understand that if they don't realise by their dog getting fat that they're over feeding it then wouldn't they realise by how much the food is costing them. I think it is related to humans that if you can see bones then they are anorexic so they assume if you can see/feel bones on a dog they need more! My oldest gets 1/2 a cup a day (regarded it is Royal Canin 4800) and she is 17kg. My little one is only 6 months old and she gets 1 cup a day and she is as skinny as they come. I don't understand. We have a constant battle at work as for the feeding amounts for the cats and dogs. There is one lady that tells me i am feeding not near enough, but when she feeds the dogs are just eating because it is there and will make themselves throw up. She even has the nerve to go back and re feed dogs i have already done...