BC Boards

AKC Invitational

Rave

Well, I wonder if they saw the weather forecast prior to the event? When there is only a tent for crating, it's hard to keep everyone dry, but I would have to say, that they could have had a "floor" put in, and that would have been waaaay better. Me? I would not have crated my dog in there. Disgusting. Porto-potties are gross on any level for me. If people were really annoyed, they should have brought their dogs in the conformation building and hung out there en-masse. AKC maintains agility for the $$ only. Perhaps the invitational should be separate from the conformation- makes sense to me.

FWD Letter from Michael Canalizo:

To all the 2009 AKC Agility Invitational exhibitors:

I am Michael Canalizo the Director of AKC Event Management. I am

the person responsible for the venue provided for your event.

As competitors having achieved a position as one of the top Agility

dogs for the year, I'm sure you were looking forward to a seamless

trip and a great venue in which to compete. It certainly was our

intention to provide just that.

You can't imagine my dismay when the conditions that impacted your

event presented themselves. Most understand that rain in southern

California at this time of year is not significant and indeed the

storms that passed through were record events for the area and season.

I think you all realize the herculean effort that was put forth by

Andy, Carrie, Gail, Doug, Barb, Diane, Mark, Rich, Steve, Pam and

Curt to rectify the situation. The safety of you and your dogs was

their primary concern.

I was kept abreast of the conditions and discussion on/if the need to

cancel the event had to be made. I am humbled by your commitment to

the sport, as I know how uncomfortable as it was for all of you. Many

events we compete in can and do encounter challenges which we all

have been forced to endure at one time or another. I'm sorry the 2009

Agility Invitational had to be one of them.

To the many who shared their thoughts, both positive and negative, I

assure you that your comments were appreciated were integral in the

course of action that was taken.

I know the rings were not impacted to the same extent the crating

area was, and that many great runs were made by you and your amazing

dogs. I received many positive comments that the sod was great to run

on. While watching the finals I felt the excitement of the crowd

and the energy was thrilling with each great dog and handler who

entered the course.

While I can not predict what Mother Nature can or will do...I can

assure you that for the next six years the AKC Agility Invitational

Events which has been one of the cornerstones of the trilogy of the

National Championship Events will be an indoor event. Hopefully you

and your dogs will never be placed in another situation which

resulted in great discomfort and unexpected stress.

To all of you please accept my sincere apology for having ultimately

been the responsible party to have placed you in the position that

you experienced.

With immense sincerity,

Michael Canalizo

Well, I wonder if they saw the weather forecast prior to the event? When there is only a tent for crating, it's hard to keep everyone dry, but I would have to say, that they could have had a "floor" put in, and that would have been waaaay better. Me? I would not have crated my dog in there. Disgusting. Porto-potties are gross on any level for me. If people were really annoyed, they should have brought their dogs in the conformation building and hung out there en-masse. AKC maintains agility for the $$ only. Perhaps the invitational should be separate from the conformation- makes sense to me.

I think they should have dismantled the "potty area" and maybe got rid of the cockail bar and a few other convienances the conformation people had and they could have accomidated some of the agility competitors.

To really have made a statement though , all the agility competitors should have took over the conformation area with their crates and chairs and everything else and refused to move until something was done .

Ive been to AKC agility trials that have breed going on at the same time. The conformation people would potty their dogs near the agility tents and not clean up after their dogs. Well, I can tell you the ones that were caught , literally had what belonged to them , thrown back at them . I think by the end of the 3 day trial , the conformation people were scared to come out of their tents. Albeit that was not the way to handle anything , but it sure made the conformation people's weekend miserable. :rolleyes:

This guy is totally full of BS:

Most understand that rain in southern California at this time of year is not significant and indeed the storms that passed through were record events for the area and season.

Bullshit! Anyone who has spent even one winter in SoCal knows that our "winter" means "rainy season." Whatever rain we will get for the entire year will happen between December and February (maybe as early as November, and as late as March, but you get the idea). A quick Google check says annual rainfall for Long Beach is 12.94 inches. When we get rain in SoCal, it usually rains for 2-3 days, maybe longer, *heavily* (as that old song says, "it pours, man it pours"). So however much rain they got last weekend was pretty much a typical winter storm for SoCal.

My rain guage tells me that while I was gone last weekend I got at least 3.25 inches. That's pretty typical for a 3 day storm down here, and yes, it was totally predicted,

A

I had THOUGHT that winter in california ment "rainy season" too, and I'm not even from there! I was suprised to see a letter from AKC addressing the fact that there WAS a problem! Usually they just ignore that there was a problem, and *maybe* fix it next year.

I LOVED the stream running thru the area- that was hilarious (but very disturbing)! My BCs would have thought *finally* I can play agility AND play in the mud- best trial EVER!!!! HAHA!

I had thought that part of the reason that agility folk weren't invited inside the conformation area had more to do with fire codes/people limits than with space. I may be wrong on that part.

Fortunately in my area, agility folk are not Treated like "cash cows"! (but are definitely considered such)!

:D:rolleyes: I'm glad I didn't go! Sorry for the ones that went!

I think they should have dismantled the "potty area" and maybe got rid of the cockail bar and a few other convienances the conformation people had and they could have accomidated some of the agility competitors.

Some yes but not all. And imagine the stink that would have caused if some but not all of the agility peeps were allowed to crate inside. Oy.

The conformation people would potty their dogs near the agility tents and not clean up after their dogs.

Interesting. They're the same here.

The only combined show we go to (apart from Crufts) is a Scottish KC one. It used to be a bit like the one in the video in that the agility people had a seperate marquee to be hidden in but now we've been moved away from the precious show dogs and can get on with doing our own thing.

We do have to share the camping area though and it's obvious that some of the conformation people are less than conscientious about picking up after their dogs.

Pam