BC Boards

New to the Boards/New Puppy

Hi All,

By way of introduction...in May we had to put our dear 14 year old border collie, Blaze to sleep. She was a wonderful companion and family member. After about 2 weeks of stating unequivocally that I could never have another dog again in my life -- the pain was too hard to bear, I found myself on the phone with the original breeder asking if she was still breeding and low and behold in August we adopted Tess (at 7 weeks) who is the joy :D (and challenge :rolleyes: ) of our lives! Of course, we were accustomed to having a 14 year old, well trained border collie.

The Questions...

House Training

Tess is now 4 months old and she definitely gets the idea that she is supposed to do her business outside and she holds it all night and during the day in her crate. The problem is that at least one time/day she decides to urinate (a lake) somewhere in the house -- usually family room (wood) or front entryway (tile). This could happen 10 minutes after we had her outside and she urinated. When we catch her, we pick her up and take her out, clean it with Nature's Miracle and pray for an accident free day. Any suggestions?

Leash Walking

This has improved but she still pulls on the leash, more so when we walk than when I run with her. She also likes to walk/run with the leash in her mouth. as a matter of fact, she walks best, by my side, with the leash in her mouth. Should I continue to allow her to carry the end of the leash in her mouth? (That is the end closest to her collar)? I use the "leave it" command when she get overzealous with the leash in her mouth. We completed puppy kindergarten but will not be doing basic obedience until January. We haven't done the heel command yet. I don't want to reinforce bad habits.

Car Herding

When we walk on a leash and a car is coming in either direction she crouches down in her border collie crouch/stare and waits for the car to get closer and then basically as it comes by goes nutso. I have been trying the wait command, but am not sure that it is such a good idea to stop, when we are running and tell her wait. I do not want to train her to stop whenever a car comes by. Fortunately, we live on a quiet cul d sac, but I would like to break her of a car chasing habit before it has a chance to begin.

Tricks

Of course, she's remarkably smart and learns tricks very quickly. She can already sit, down, shake, high five, fetch and come (not always reliable). We are continuing to work on the sit stay and down stay and we are working on roll over.

Am I asking too much of a 4 1/2 month old puppy?

Thanks for your advice,

Tess's Mom

Hi!

As for house training, we had Shiloh in a smaller area of our house and in a crate when we were not home. House training was our top priority and we were lucky that we could both work from home. We sectioned off a small area of the living room with a board and the back of a long couch, it included his food dishes and crate. That was an extended den for him until 5 months old.

We let him out:

first thing

45 minutes after eating

every 2-3 hours

right before bed

Any time we left he was in his crate and he also slept there over night. In his small area he was supervised ( we sat outside of it working or inside on the laptop) and we would invite him into the larger areas only after a pee/poo and it was for a limited time. We would play with him in his area, but from the start it was our intent to show that outside is play time and inside is sleep or relaxation time. We were lucky to have the time to spend a few hours outside everyday.

Shiloh pee'd in the house once at 9 weeks and never has again! When it looked like he needed to go, we would lightly clap in the air to startle him and give a "no"- then take him out to a designated "pee spot" and cheer him on, after he would get a treat and lots of love. He is 7 months now and is allowed all over our apartment and has earned his crate door to be open at night. If he needs to go pee, he walks over to the door, lays down in his spot and waits until we are ready. So, the moral of that story--- was to not give him too much space too soon and supervise him when he is out of the crate.

Attached is a picture of his first day home (we took the pee pad away the next day)- my husband wanted to make sure he wasn't lonely.

post-10540-1259094749_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

By way of introduction...in May we had to put our dear 14 year old border collie, Blaze to sleep. She was a wonderful companion and family member. After about 2 weeks of stating unequivocally that I could never have another dog again in my life -- the pain was too hard to bear, I found myself on the phone with the original breeder asking if she was still breeding and low and behold in August we adopted Tess (at 7 weeks) who is the joy :D (and challenge :rolleyes: ) of our lives! Of course, we were accustomed to having a 14 year old, well trained border collie.

The Questions...

House Training

Tess is now 4 months old and she definitely gets the idea that she is supposed to do her business outside and she holds it all night and during the day in her crate. The problem is that at least one time/day she decides to urinate (a lake) somewhere in the house -- usually family room (wood) or front entryway (tile). This could happen 10 minutes after we had her outside and she urinated. When we catch her, we pick her up and take her out, clean it with Nature's Miracle and pray for an accident free day. Any suggestions?

Leash Walking

This has improved but she still pulls on the leash, more so when we walk than when I run with her. She also likes to walk/run with the leash in her mouth. as a matter of fact, she walks best, by my side, with the leash in her mouth. Should I continue to allow her to carry the end of the leash in her mouth? (That is the end closest to her collar)? I use the "leave it" command when she get overzealous with the leash in her mouth. We completed puppy kindergarten but will not be doing basic obedience until January. We haven't done the heel command yet. I don't want to reinforce bad habits.

If you could find a light leash with a chain near the collar end, it might break her of mouthing the leash - to let her continue is to risk her chewing at the leash to the point that it might give way if she gave a sudden tug.

Car Herding

When we walk on a leash and a car is coming in either direction she crouches down in her border collie crouch/stare and waits for the car to get closer and then basically as it comes by goes nutso. I have been trying the wait command, but am not sure that it is such a good idea to stop, when we are running and tell her wait. I do not want to train her to stop whenever a car comes by. Fortunately, we live on a quiet cul d sac, but I would like to break her of a car chasing habit before it has a chance to begin.

The best advice I got is that every border collie should learn to hit the deck immediately when you say "lie down". That gives you some control over her if she should escape toward the car. I also train a "halt!" command because it seems I'm not too successful yet at lie down and halt is easier to reinforce, at least with my boisterous boys. I might not tell her to wait and give her an opportunity to keep staring at the car. Get her attention off of the car immediately...keep moving, tell her to leave it! Move her back, go the other way, do anything to stop her from staring at the car...it is quite likely the wheels that she is fixated on and you will always have to watch her very carefully. We had a rescue that came to us with a wheel fixation and he was struck and killed by a car last February. He would fixate on the wheels of a vacuum cleaner. I also tried to desensitize him by exposing him to various kinds of wheels -- tractor, lawn mower, etc. from a safe distance when he was leashed and give him the halt or lie down command. Unfortunately the morning he got into the road, I wasn't there to yell halt when he lunged at the wheel and he was hit by the fender and killed instantly.

Tricks

Of course, she's remarkably smart and learns tricks very quickly. She can already sit, down, shake, high five, fetch and come (not always reliable). We are continuing to work on the sit stay and down stay and we are working on roll over.

(ETA italics)

Liz

Thanks for your advice,

Tess's Mom

Hi All,

The Questions...

I went through something similar. Have patience it will all work out eventually.

Leash Walking

Don't let her hold the leash in her mouth. Pull or yank it out if you have to She'll get the idea fairly quickly. Question: How's she off lead off lead? A heel command to a dog especially a BC is nothing more than, "You want me to walk at what speed???? Screw that." Don't know what to suggest since I always started my dogs without leads until they followed. You might try a drag lead at the park and see if that helps. Also working on a solid recall helps.

Car Herding

Pull her out of a crouch. Tell her to down or on her feet. Teach her a couple of release commands. "That'll do is traditional for all done now. Also "That's enough" accompanied by a couple of pats on the head. Dogs don't like to be head patted. Treat her and give her a good dog as soon as she breaks her attention from the car even if it's only for a second. Several treats for a good job fed one at a time. The idea is to get her to focus on you.

Tricks

Am I asking too much of a 4 1/2 month old puppy? No. Jin completed puppy class at 4 1/2 months, basic ob at 7 months and intermediate OB and got his CGC at 10 months.

Be careful 4-7 months and again 11-14 months is a time when pups can pick up fears from almost anything. Donb't be over protective and make sure she's well socialized. Use lots of cauution when going to the dogpark. Better yet don't go to the dog park.

House Training

She is only a bitsy little pup and when pups are little they have minimal bladder control. So i wouldn't worry about it too much if she is going somewhere where it is easy to clean up. My littlest is 5 months now and will occassionally go inside. But she's not doing it on purpose, so i am a little more forgiving. I know its horrible but give it time, your doing everything right.

Leash Walking

To start this teach her at home to walk by your side, perhaps with a clicker and to start off leash (at home). This will always be hard to transfer into walking in the street as it is a big step. Try using a Halti or Gentle Leader, they are just absolute miracles. Get one whilst she is still young, it will be easier to introduce. My 5 month old if on collar will pull but in her halti she won't. As for tugging on the leash depends whether she is going to be a sports dog or not. For agility yes you want them to be able to tug with anything especially the leash but you also want it under stimulus control (on cue). as for a puppy don't accept her going crazy on it. She can carry it if you goes crazy, i would hold her collar until she lets go (not harshly just gently) this will show her the game is over. Or stop and hold the leash still she will eventually give up. And please remember to reward her when she is not tugging on it.

Car Herding

This is extremely dangerous, you want to get a Halti or Gentle Leader to be able to pull her away from distractions. It will turn her head away and reward her for not looking. Start maybe by sitting on the side of the road. If you see a car coming ask for something she knows well i.e. sit and if she focuses on you instead of the car then give her a treat. You want to teach her everytime she see's a car if she looks at you she gets a treat. Start little if she looks at the car and you can call her away reward her.

Tricks are a great way to keep you border mentally stimulated and are always fun.

Good luck with your girl she sounds gorgeous.

I got MANY sudjestions on how to stop the car herding with my young pup, from shaker cans and water guns to the gentle leader. I had been working mini "focused attention" excersises with my pup in preperation for a possible obedience career. The problem with this in terms of the car herding problem I found was that there were an AWFUL LOT of cars on our walks and a young pups attention span is AWFUL SHORT!!!

I was desperate as I kew this was a dangerous problem!!! To be honest, the best and immediate cure for my pup ended up being ONE correction at the end of a prong collar. I know it seems extreme and I would normally NOT put a prong collar on a young pup unless necessary but believe the possible benefits outweighed the risks in this situation! AND it worked. Since that one correction my pup now a 4 year old bc has NEVER looked at another car again. Just another idea to add to the pot!

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice,

Tess's Mom

Very sorry for your loss. I went through some of these issues with my BC puppy. I previously had a Belgian Tervuren, I had to have her put down. I was waiting for a BC puppy following the death of my beloved Sheba for a couple of months. I'm not the type to be without a canine companion, can't do it. I was lucky to find one locally to adopt. Molly, sure was a pert little thing when I got her. I used crate training, and potty pads.

When she did something I could reinforce with treats, like sitting, or lying down. I would reward her, and say the command. I was doing training as soon as I got her at 7 weeks. My vet thought this was too soon. One thing about leashes, Molly always wanted to put her front leg over the leash, or she mouthed it. I feel that I have to put her on a leash since we live on a busy street. I have a fenced yard, but still.

As a puppy, I got her a Kong toy, so she could mouth that. She was very interested in bouncing it obsessively until the treats came out.

I started having more Fibromyalgia problems so this cut the leash training short until much later. Now that I have reintroduced the leash, it is like some horrible alien artifact. In order to get her to accept it, I placed it on the floor with some chicken. Gradually started holding it near her head, and rewarded her with chicken and lavish praise. Then I started placing the leash/choke chain over her head, then rewarding her with chicken. Mine will walk right beside of me off leash.

I couldn't take mine outside for a long time, until the vet decided I had built up her immunity enough with her puppy booster shots. I took mine out in her crate, because she was quite noise sensitive even at that age. This has never gotten any better.

I got mine as a pet, and companion. I really wonder sometimes, if she could be trained to herd. But I don't have the stamina to do it myself. I was more interested in training her to be a service dog. As it is, she will fetch help, if she thinks I need some. My vets says that Molly knows I'm her job. LOL She is very serious about me as her job.